Alien animals alt-mode ?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by sevenlima, Dec 31, 2017.

1. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

You guys know that Botanica had scan a alien lifeform as your alt-mode so,what if we have Maximals and Predacons transform into alien animals ?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    That would be awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could think of the Terrorcons as maybe based on alien animals.

Just like alien vehicles, I think alien animals would just be an excuse to be lazy on the designers part. Fold this here, bend that there..alien animal or alien jet or car. I just prefer Earth alt modes since then designers have to work to get it to resemble things we know what they look like.

4. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    If done right designers actually have to work harder to design alien altmodes. They can just pick an earth altmode for any bot.
    They actually have to be creative to design a good alien altmode.
    That's why I love them. Designs like Triggerhappy, Twin Twist, Sinnertwin, Windrazor look really good.
    There have been disasters like Movie Megatron's jetmode or his tankmode from ROTF, but there have been a lot of really great alien altmodes.

• Like Like x 6
  5. sevenlima

They must be modest and do not look like with the earth ones.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  6. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

They could do whatever they wanted to do with alien alt modes, up to a point. I mean, no one really knows what Rung is supposed to be, after all. A lot of the IDW characters transform into quasi-vehicles, with little to no resemblance to any current or past Earth construct, but we enjoy it just the same.

From a toy point of view, the alt mode can make the engineering a ton easier, which is why I suspect that Maketoys did so well out of the gate with their engineering and aesthetic, because they were essentially freed from having to conform to a licensed product or tied to a certain bot "look". It's also why I'm struggling to understand why FT and everyone else is having difficulty making a Kup, Blurr, or Springer that everyone loves.

7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    What alien animals do you have in mind?

Xenomorph (Alien)
    [​IMG]

Hraka (Krypton)
    [​IMG]

Vulptex (Star Wars)
    [​IMG]

The possibilities are endless.

• Like Like x 5
  8. sevenlima

Something original but with Star Wars/Man of Steel influences.

9. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Yeah. I never understand either why every third party makes a different toy of the same character but none of them ever makes the toy everybody wants.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Great Genesic Rayserver

Great Genesic Rayserver Well-Known Member

Original Alien based alt modes would be harder to come up with and look convincing/good, whereas Earth animals are easy to draw inspiration from.

• Like Like x 2
  11. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

There have been a few documentaries for the Discovery/Science channels over the years where they discussed in ernest what life forms on other planets may look like. Just do a quick image search on the term "exobioloy" and see all the fun stuff that's already been discussed in the scientific community.

But as long as we're talking pop culture, prett much anything from Pandora (Avatar) would be kick-ass, or something from StarCraft.

Plus, we may not need to look so far out to see good "alien" forms. Upsize some microorganisms like the so-called water bear or those little whatsus that live on your eyebrows and I'll buy the whole set!

-Kronatron

• Like Like x 3
  12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

I don't know why people keep saying this. Having an alien alt mode is not just an excuse for designers to be lazy. Not every alien alt mode is just a robot folded in half.

Technically speaking even Earth alt modes don't actually look like Earth vehicles due to the fact that Hasbro has to get licensing rights to use actual vehicles. So by your logic, anything that isn't a licensed vehicle is an excuse for designers to be lazy.

Oh and even when a beast mode is based on an Earth animal, most of the time, except for Beast Wars season 1, those are really lazy designs because most of the time it's front legs turn into arms, rear legs turn into robot legs, fold the head out, remove tail to form a weapon and you're done. When they don't have to look like real animals the transformations are basically to just stand the figure up. They're really simple and lazy... though they do occasionally have a few tricks in there to make them a bit more interesting. I do see far more lazy beastformers than lazy vehicle modes.

Yes this! Though I think there are some better ones than what you mentioned like Beast Machines Vehicons, the War Within, War for Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron. Also I don't think movie Megatron's tank mode was that bad. The jet mode however I agree is horrible. The Last Knight Megatron was a HUGE improvement as it actually looks like a jet of some kind just alien in origin while the 2007 version looked more like a flying metal thorn bush.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Flying metal thorn bush is right :lol 

14. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    There was a documentary also of life on earth after humanity goes extinct. Was begin this century somewhere. Don't remember who made it, but there was some good stuff there too.

15. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

As long as we're discussing this... I've often wondered why most aliens in Science Fiction are equivalent to us but we hardly ever see any wild life. South Park kinda covered this in an episode oddly enough by saying that most other planets are only populated by a single form of life because the life forms on Earth were brought here from different planets as a sort of reality show. They were never meant to co-exist on the same world. Seems like a reasonable explanation.

But assuming that different forms of life do naturally exist on Earth then it would be reasonable to assume that different forms of life exist on other planets as well so you'd think that we'd see more wild life than we do and not just other intelligent life forms similar to us. There are a few like in one of the Star Trek movies we saw what the Klingon equivalent of a dog looked like. I can't remember what that thing was actually called but yeah it was basically a dog.

In something like Star Trek where the majority of the screen time is on ships out in space not on planets it's kinda understandable why we don't see more animals. Even Earth animals we rarely see because they spend little time showing us life on Earth. However in other science fictions where we spend just as much time on alien planets as we do on Earth, it's really weird that we only ever see the dominant life forms, the human equivalents, and not the animal wild life.

I think Star Wars is really the only science fiction that actually does a decent job of showing animals not just people, of course it's a little confusing that humans exist at all when there's never any mention of Earth existing in that universe. Where did the humans originate from? They seem out of place in that universe as the only life form without a home world. All the human characters seem to be scattered across different home worlds while all the other distinct aliens come from planets populated by other members of their own species.

I find it weird that in every science fiction we simultaneous make other species and planets similar to us in some ways yet completely different in others. Another thing I find kind of annoying is that humans on Earth have multiple different languages, different cultures, and different skin tones all on the same world but aliens for some reason usually tend to all be the same. Some times we'll get an equivalent of white people and black people but still only one language that their entire planet's population all speak. And oddly there are a few alien species who despite being from the same planet are more different from each other than simply having different skin colors. An alien race introduced in Star Trek Enterprise had 5 distinct species, one looking like insects, another looking aquatic, another looking reptilian. There were actually only four seen in the show, they talked about a fifth which had gone extinct who were more bird like. I don't remember exactly what the other one was. But the thing is they looked so different from each other they should of really been from different planets. And they worked together really well which is surprising when humans can't even get along with people of different skin tones yet their people get along perfectly despite looking like entirely different species?

Now it's entirely possible that our view of what alien life might be like is entirely bias based on our limited understanding of how life on our own planet is like. It's kinda hard to judge another life supporting planet when we only have our own world to look and nothing to make comparisons with. That's also generally why all our ideas of how alien biology might work are loosely based on looking at different forms of life here and imaging them in humanoid bipedal forms. Just because there's only one dominant life form on Earth and a whole mess of wild life doesn't mean some other planet can't have multiple dominate human equivalents and not much wild life. Just because humans are idiots who can't get along with other humans doesn't mean that other planets couldn't possibly get along with other members of their own species even if if they do look more different from each other than we do. Just because we have multiple languages doesn't mean they can't have universal planet wide language. It's even possible that aliens could live in conditions we never thought possible because things like that don't exist here. It seems unlikely at the moment again due to not having anything outside of our own planet to compare with. This is why we look at planets the most similar to our as being the most likely to have life and not to planets like Mars or Venus which can't support life as we know it. If we haven't seen any evidence of it, it's unlikely to exist.

A good comparison to make is that if you've never been outside your own country before you're probably likely to assume that other countries are much the same as yours. I see a mix of different races and religions all the time so I imagine that other countries are the same... even though in reality in other countries they don't really have the freedom to worship different religions and everyone around them is part of the same race. Someone from Cuba for example is unlikely to ever see anyone who isn't Cuban. Hell even just going outside of my own state can some times be a lot different. I live in California, like half the people hear speak Spanish but I bet it you went a few states over outside of the Mexican states, that you wouldn't see any Spanish speaking people, or at least not as many as you do here. That's kind how I think our view of life on other planets is limited, because we're bias to our culture and have a hard time imagining anything we haven't experienced first hand.

Anyway... back on to the original topic, it is a little weird that all the Beast Modes in Transformers resemble Earth animals, even before they've even come to Earth characters like the Dinobots always end up turning into vehicles or inexplicably just looking like Earth animals for no reason. I can't believe I'm saying this but maybe they should take a page from the Power Rangers movie and make the beast modes a little more alien looking. Add some extra legs, or a second head, or something so it's not just a metal dinosaur.

16. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Wow man. That's a long post, but very interesing.
    First of all I think the lack of lesser intelligent alien life is because most science fiction is specifically concerned with humans interacting with intelligent alien lifeforms.
    And lack of time/space/interest is why writers don't worldbuild unintelligent aliens in those works.

I think there is something to be said for intelligent aliens or our race in a spacefaring future choosing one globally semi-dominant language to communicate with aliens for ease.
    We as an example might become a unified planet by the time we interact with aliens, but it's entirely possible we'll still be a bunch of scattered nations and federations grouped around english, spanish, chinese! russian etc.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

The trick with writing about alien ecosystems is that a writer will struggle existentially with creating concepts in biology, botany, or zoology that have no links to what they already know or understand. What would an ecosystem that was completely devoid of oxygen look like? How would those beings live/move/reproduce? There's some fascinating concepts about electricity and piezo-based energy transmission, but without knowing more about it, you're kind of stuck writing with concepts about respiration, the carbon (or silicon) cycle, water, that sort of thing. It's why a lot of the planets and their life tend to recycle themselves over time. To be fair, unless the ecosystem itself has some role in understanding the story or developing a character in a meaningful way, the effort to go into writing about the ecosystem becomes akin to a green leafy MacGuffin, your editor/reviewer will come down with the big red pen and burn your carefully crafted halide-based explosive ecosystem to the ground. <sniff>

• Like Like x 3
  18. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Which is sad and shortsighted.
    There is a lot of merrit in a worldbuilding in science fiction and I think we all agree it's very hard to do it well.
    A lot of this is due to the entertainment industries and the general publics obsession with drama and conflict.
    There should be more fiction that aims to entertain by engaging the audience with unusual creations and characterisations and pleasurable events and activities.
    It is very hard to produce a carefully crafted ecosystem because we are indeed very limited by our knowledge and imagination.
    Worldbuilding should be encouraged.
    It gives flavour to a story.
    But it is also hard to find a balance between worldbuilding and describing an enviroment to the boredom of the reader.
    I've read stories where highly lauded authors couldn't find that balance and it does affect the reading experience negatively.
    It is very hard to do well, but well worth it when done well.

• Like Like x 1
  19. sevenlima

Mostly scientist, believe of all earth life could came from another part of universe.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Yes, last I heard they believe the first micro-organisms all other earth lifeforms come from came here during the time our planet was bombarded by asteroids.

• Like Like x 1