Customs: Alclad Problem

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Treadshot A1, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I just bought a can of alclad for the first time today. All it says on the back is to paint it flat black first, then spray Alclad over it.

I've tried this process on a Gundam Beam saber, but after 2 coats, all i'm getting is a dark gray with some silver streaks on the blade, and some silver on the hilt, not unlike what i can do with ordinary silver paint. What am i doing wrong?

BTW, i'm using Alclad II chrome for lexan. Apparently that's the only alclad my local shops have. I was wondering if that had anything to do with it.

2. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That is the problem. See the ALCLAD FOR LEXAN utilizes the lexan as a "clear" to help with the reflective properties. Try a gloss black and dust , I mean lightly dust in nice even back and forth patterns, until you get the effect you desire. BUT, if you spray to much it will look just like silver paint.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

So, you're saying that i should try a gloss blcak instead, right? And then just use light mist coats?

Because, i haven't even got anything even half reflective yet, and only very slight silver. But i'll try again tomorrow with gloss black. Thanks.