Alas, poor computer...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Eric, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Do you ever have one of those days where you think everything's okay and dandy, but then something comes along and royally screws it up for you? Well, I had one of those days today. And I did not like it.

I've had my Dell gaming PC for three and a half years now. This is the third laptop I've owned, and my fourth computer total. Well, after months of getting all glitchy on me, getting three blue screens of death, Anti-Virus systems failing on me, and the DVD player crapping out every time I try to put a CD in there, it seems that my computer is finally dying. I was in the middle of working on my Transformers wishlist, when I realized that there were some green slashes of pixels across the screen. I thought this was another virus again, and so I decided to just turn off the computer and reboot it. Unfortunately, this didn't really do so well because when I restarted my computer, the screen was just solid white, and then it looked like the borders were melting into black, kinda like the end of one of those old film reels. I told my brother about this, and he told me that it could be the video card in the computer. Problem is, he doesn't remember if the video card is seperate on the laptop, or if it was part of the motherboard. I even dusted the entire thing and I still had no luck. When my dad got home, even he couldn't figure it out. So now I'm technically computerless (well, I'm typing from my dad's old laptop for now), but the family and I have made a tentative plan. My dad will take my computer in to a repair shop, so hopefully the people who work there know what the problem is. It doesn't really matter if the computer can be repaired or not, it's still gonna have to go.

The option I have is that I can either get my mom's computer, which has Windows Vista on it (not used to that, and I've heard the stories about how evil it is :p ), or I can just get a Macbook. Which should I choose?

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Well, you could:
    -spend no money and no effort to get the computer with Vista (which isn't all that bad, really);
    -spend no money and some effort to switch that PC from Vista to some flavor of Linux, and get much better performance out of it, but almost no modern games;
    -spend some money and some effort to upgrade said computer to Windows 7, get moderately better performance out of it, and still be able to play most games
    -spend lots of money and no effort to get a Macbook, which would be a much better computer, but play almost none of the games you probably want;
    -spend even more money and some effort to buy the Macbook and install Windows Vista or 7 on it to play all those games on a better computer than the PC your mom would be giving you.
    -You could also spend even more effort and varying amounts of money on installing some combination of extra operating systems on either computer, but that sounds less like something you might want to do.

Those are basically your options, but you're the one that's gotta decide where your priorities are between cost, performance, and game selection.

3. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^You forgot a last option.
    Spend lots of money and get no computer and go back to pen and paper gaming.

My suggestion is get your mom's PC, wipe the thing clean, replace with XP and save up for when that computer goes boom.

4. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    All I can say is don't get a Mac.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This

6. OptimusSpanks

OptimusSpanks Well-Known Member

Have the best of both worlds. Build your own pc and then load Snow Leopard and Windows 7 onto it.

7. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Could be the video card or the monitor. I had some of those symptoms on a monitor where I worked before it fried itself.

8. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    had the same issues with a toshiba laptop, turns out it overheated itself and burnt its graphics card up