Non-TF: Aja Rocks!

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Superquad7, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    So, while I was waiting to get off of work the other day, I decided to sketch around a little bit. My original sketch was to have Jem and the Holograms, but I only finished Aja. My scanner also wasn't too kind (I couldn't change my dpi settings, so the line art ended up going in at 150 pixels, where I normally use about 600 dpi to drop to 300 dpi after I've edited the line art in Photoshop), but I just wanted to have some fun anyways.

I put some color on this tonight. I'm not finished (basically, I've just gotten most of the flats on), but I did want to share what I have so far. The background is also temporary, as I didn't want to just leave it white for the time being. The guitar is a Gibson Explorer (Dave Grohl often uses them).

It's not a "masterpiece", as there are several problem areas, but it's me just having some fun. It had been a while since I really drew about anything, let alone the female figure. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am illustrating :) 

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. Thunderthruster

Thunderthruster Autobot Supersoldier

News Credits:
    Looks bloody good to me. Reminds me of the cartoon itself!

3. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Nice. Would look really good animated.

4. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

Looks good

5. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Awesome.

6. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Well done indeed.

7. mogel94

mogel94 Well-Known Member

Fantastic :thumbs2: 

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Wow! Thanks a lot for your comments, guys! It's very much appreciated :) 

Like I said, I was basically just playing around right before I got off of work. I was hoping I could have gotten the whole band finished, but at least I got Aja tightened up enough to get something nice to color.

I do wanna tackle drawing both Shanna (on bass) and Raya (on drums) simply because I play those instruments as well. I play some guitar, and a little bass, but my main musical background is drums ("Superquad" comes from my high school nickname, in case some of you newer kats didn't know :cool: ).

Oddly enough, even though I'm majorly a "Transformers" fan, I tend to be a fan of Hasbro in general as a company and all of their products. JEM is really cool in that while it's a "girl's" toyline, it's got some really cool sci-fi elements that are typically aimed at boys. I really think that JEM is one of the more unique brands that Hasbro has. With the recent NYCC events, it looks like JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS are finally gonna get their due :) 

9. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Didn't I read somewhere Hasbro was thinking about new cartoon version for Jem & Co.??

SQuads....Like what you've done so far, but as a femme myself, I can't help but think her stance is just a little too masculine...the legs seem too far apart..even for a rock chick guitarist. Does that make sense to you?? Otherwise, love the colors and her face and hair ROCK!!

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    JEM - Filing for Trademark Media Extension - Toy Discussion at Toyark.com

NYCC - Jem Vintage Display - Toy Discussion at Toyark.com

JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS - Registered Trademarks - Toy Discussion at Toyark.com

:) 

I included below the photo I referenced a bit for things, and you can see the differences there (as well as what you're referring to). You're probably right, as I can often times overthink things regarding illustrating the female form, which can end up being counterproductive. Basically, I wanted the pose to really communicate that Aja is rocking out with absolute authority. With comic book types of illustrations, pushing that boundary often makes for a better illustration. I've probably been so "How to Draw the Marvel Way"-ed that it just came out that way :lol 

Attached Files:

11. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Ahhhh!! I see, but if you look closely (it's hard to see with the dark hose) I think you'll notice that we femmes tend to go "knee in" when we stand "spread eagle" as it were...that's what I think is missing...I think guys would stand with the knees more to the outside. Of course those high pumps can throw off her stance too.. Just a goofy thought. *shrugs*

She's still beautiful!!

Thanks for the links :D 

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You're exactly right, and when I performed a duplicate search to find that reference photo, I found myself thinking about that a bit more. I think the pumps would have her "knee-in" balance less pronounced, but it would (should) still be there. I'm really glad you caught this, as it made me think quite a bit more about it!

I've been out of practice for a while with drawing hands, and you'll see that the hands in this illustration are pretty problematic. I was actually a bit ashamed of myself after I had inked it :lol  I sorta drew the hair quickly as well. I always want hair to be a mass and not strands, and while I want to communicate motion (I think I did that decently well), I think I should have went a bit more softly there too. I sorta hate the right shoulder area, but that's partly due to her hair as well.

Being one's own critic is such a downward spiral :lol 

13. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Don't I know it...we artistic types tend to be so critical of ourselves sometimes it can paralyze us from ever posting anything :D  *looks in the mirror*

I see what you mean about her hands, especially the left one...but you said it was just a quick work up and I know you'll update when you have the time.:thumb 

14. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I really like it, man. I didn't know you had work on here. You always come in to my thread, so of course I had to come by and check it out. I like the bright colors you used. That's what sticks out/matter to me when it comes to these sorts of subjects. It feels '80's to me is what I'm trying to say. If you're going to add to it, I'd love to see how it'll turn out.

15. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOVE me some Holograms, this is GREAT!

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    My nickname in grade school was "perfectionist". As a kid, I hated it, but looking back, I actually appreciate the insult. I've always been extremely hard on myself and anything I've done. Most times, it doesn't keep me from doing or creating things. I figure if someone else can do it better, they will or simply won't try. No skin off of me either way :) 

Yeah, if anything, this was basically a primer for me in a lot of different ways. For many reasons, I just hadn't drawn anything in a while, so I wanted to get some rust off. The only other times I've ever drew any JEM things was way back in the day, and even then it wasn't much. Quite simply, I'm a Hasbro fan, and I enjoy the opportunities to simply draw something new and less explored by me :) 

I feel there were a lot of things I nailed with this sketch and a lot of things I see that I'd really need to work on structurally. I think what I'd end up doing is simply finish off the colors here and start from the ground up again.

I really appreciate this post a lot. A lot of what you're commenting on were things I tried to nail down. I'm glad to see that my intentions translated well :)  I color-dropped the original Aja colors from Sunbow character artwork for starters, and things like that are still some of my favorite things about that show. :) 

Yeah man, me too! They love me too! :ev: 

I appreciate the praise!

Again, thanks so much for checking out my work gang; it's very much appreciated!

17. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I could tell, because as great as they are, I rarely see those pastel-esque colors being used. Granted, they work wonders for the '80's theme, but I'd love to see them used more often.

18. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Nice!