Customs: Airbrushing

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Grimlockprime16, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

ok guys I just got my first airbrush today and I have know Idea what im doing with it lol. I was hopeing that some of you guys could help me out. There is alot of things I dont know yet like do I have to thin my paints before use? How do I clean it after Im done useing is? Is there a psi level I should spraying at for the best outcome for my customs? Any advise would help.
    thank guys.

2. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

I haven't touched my airbrush in about 7 years, but I'll give it a go. First, if you buy airbrush paint, you shouldn't have to thin them. Cleaning the airbrush consists of running some thinner through it until it comes clear. If that fails you have to take it apart and clean the internals with thinner to get the paint out.

As for psi level, I think that's going to vary based on your airbrush, but I'm not positive on that one. Airbrush.com has a forum if you want to see some really talented airbrush artists at work. Their board isn't very good (I mean the software itself), but there are some talented people on there.

Mathius

3. Grimlockprime16

can I put non-airbrush paints through it as well?

4. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

i have my psi level around 25-35

i use enamel paints, so i thin the paint with thinner, until it has nice smooth spray.

and based on what paints you spray through the gun, like mathius said, just use whatever thinner (based on the type of paint is used), and spray the thinner through the gun until no more paint is coming through.

hope this helps

5. Grimlockprime16

thanks guys this has been really helpful.

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes you can use paints that don't specify airbrush use. As Mathius and thevipera said, just be sure to thin the paint down. From what I am told, you should get the paint to about the consistency of milk, but I used Model Masters lacquer, and that had to be thinned to almost the consistency of water it dried so fast.. Stuff was literally drying as it was being sprayed. Hit the button and it was dry before it hit the plastic.. I was so confused till I talked to my hobby shop guy..