Customs: Airbrushing paint problem/question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by project9, Aug 15, 2009.

1. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Hey folks. Quick question. I read on the internets that a good way to thin out your paints for airbrushing was to use windshield washer fluid.

So I primed/base coated my Sideswipe with Krylon Camo. I thinned out my Testors Modelmaster Acrylic with a small amount of cheapo fluid. Everything sprays fine but I notice some beading once the layer went down. =( Boo.

So... is this the wiper fluid? too much fluid? or some reaction with the camo base coat? Any clues?

2. MATTICUS PRIME

MATTICUS PRIME chicks love me!

Water + Paint = BAD.
    This is why water traps/filters are recommended. Get yourself some thinner it will work just fine.

3. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Hmm... I thought that was the reason why washer fluid was suggested. Because acrylics are water soluble. Many people say water/washer fluid/windex have all worked for them. I can't find the webpage right now but there was one that was very detailed.

4. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not with WATER Soluble Acrylics such as Testors it isnt. Only reason people say water and paint are bad when airbrushing is that water can get into the line with the air and that can cause spurts of water to come out and make a mess. Mixing water or windex fluid with paint to make it go through an airbrush is exactly what your supposed to do.

project9- Never heard of using windshield washer fluid, I just buy a generic brand of window cleaner(no amonia) and mix it at a 2 parts paint to a 1 part windex or less. Just seems like your paint is thinned to much is all, ease up on the thinning solution and you should be fine. As to a reaction, no, acrylics do not react to other paints, only thing that could have happened id maybe the base coat is not fully cured, I know when that happens sometime a layer of acrylics can crackle and make a spiderweb effect of sorts(Look at F_r's Leader Megs shoulders where he did this effect intentionally). Hope this helps. ^_^

5. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I left the Krylon on for about a week. I didn't think that had anything to do with it. I don't think I thinned it with more than 1/3rd washer fluid... maybe I was wrong. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it next time.

If you google it, you'll find a lot of people use washer fluid. I'm mad I can't find that article I read it from. It covered different brand paints and ratios, I do believe.

6. MATTICUS PRIME

MATTICUS PRIME chicks love me!

I totally missed the acryl, part my bad.

You may be using too much fluid, you really only want it thin enough to help atomize.

7. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know some people use windex and things work fine.... but I HIGHLY advise against that. You have to get the mix perfect to avoid issues. Bite the bullert and buy airbrush medium for acrylic paints, lacquer thinner for lacquers, and paint thinner for enamels. It may cost a bit more.... but better safe than sorry in my book.

I have been using airbrush medium for almost 10 years and NEVER had a problem and it produces such a smooth coat in a limited amount of time.