Customs: Airbrush Question / Help please ..

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by PrimulArchangel, May 2, 2010.

1. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey guys :) 

I just got a new air brush and im having trouble with getting it to spray. Its not a top of the line brush or anything its this style here http://images.tcpglobal.com/mas/e93.JPG . It was only 13$ and i got it just for spraying primer coats because when i was trying to spray the primer in my gravity feed brush, the prime was clogging up the tip of it. It drives me crazy, its almost like the air from the brush is drying the primer in the tip.

Anyways now with this new brush it wont even suck the paint up the tube to get it to spray. I have thinned it till its almost like water and it still will not spray. The brush needs between 30 to 50 psi to work and my compressor puts out 50 psi so i know i have plenty of air for it to work.. Now if i put water in the jar it will spray it with no problem at all so i know it works lol..

The primer im using is a Acrylic primer. I can not use enamels because of the fumes, they give me masive headaches. The brand im using is Zinsser Bulls Eye water based primer/sealer.. This here http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww132/Primul_Archangel/IMG_0061.jpg

Does anyone have any tips to get this thing to work ? I know you get what you pay for so im not bummed too much that it dont work since it was only 13$ lol But i would like to get it to work so i can have a brush just for spraying primer. Does anyone know of a good acrylic primer to use if the brand im using is no good ? Any tips to get this thing to work would be appreciated

Thanks in advance :) 

-Curt

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I had sometime similar to that when I started, and well, its crap.

You thinned your paint and you are running higher pressure which is good, you might want to look at that flow adjustment knob coming out of the resevoir. That might help.

Also, what are you using for a thinner? For acrylics I like to use alcohol. The downside to alcohol is that is makes the paint dry fast, this can actually be a problem with airbrushes and clogging.

3. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dont believe this airbrush has a flow adjustment on it , the jar just plugs into the base of the brush and thats it. It does pop out once and a while so I think im going to try and fasten somthing to it to hold it in place..
    For thinner i was just using distilled water, i never tried alcohol though. A buddy of mine told me to try this Testers Acrylic Thinner that he uses and has had great results with it..
    Its weird though because the brushes only have this problem with white paint and primers. Every other colors flow fine and spray normal. I dont want to brush the primer on cause it looks like crap.
    Maybe the stuff i bought just isnt meant to be used in an airbrush or something.
    Can you suggest a primer to use? Even a spray on acrylic would be nice cause i can de-can the paint or something so i can use it in my airbrush , but spray acrylic primer is like impossible to find..

4. Boggs6ft7

I don't know a spray acrylic primer, but Tamiya makes a great surface primer. Comes in gray and white.

5. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Know of any non spray acrylic primer thats good or Is the tamiya primer an acrylic paint ?

This is the thinner my buddy told me to try out http://image.misterart.com/grouppix/528x352/7000/g7411.jpg

Im gonna have to order some online. Know of a good place online ot order the tamiya paints ? I wont buy those paints from my local hobby shop because the guy charges way to much for his stuff. So if i can find it cheaper online ill buy there ...

6. Boggs6ft7

You could try Tower Hobbies or ehobbies, both of those should carry the paints.

But just so you know, a lot of those paints can't be air shipped and it totally ground, so depending on where you live, it can take a while to come in.

7. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    it sounds to me that the paint is still to think. For the most part, primer is always thicker. However, if it is almost like water, and you are using high pressure, then in theory it should be spraying.....

how well does it spray other paints?

8. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The new syphon feed cheaper brush i just got i have not tried to spray any colors other then the primer so far since i only wanted the brush just for spraying primer..

BUT with my other Gravity feed brush that i have had for a while and use for everything, sprays everything but " White paint and Primers " just fine. I dont know if there is something different with white paints and primers or what but it will not spray those colors.

It's got me stumped lol ....

9. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ahhh..okay..the problem with white and primers is the pigment content. THEY ARE HEAVY!!! You will need to thin them more. This will require you test the psi out due to the thinner paint. This is the same issue with automotive paints as well....Primer guns always have to have a larger nozzle. If not, then the paint has to be super thinned down, lower pressure, and MULTIPLE light coats. So just test around. Feel free to shoot me a pm with the results and we can figure it.

10. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ahhh i had a feeling it was something like that with white and primer. Before using primers, white was the only paint color i ever had to thin, all my other colors never needed it.
    The syphon feed brush i got does have a larger tip on it that you can adjust the opening on. The gravity feed brush uses a .3mm needle .. My compressor doesnt have an adjustment for the air pressure. I guess i can order one of those and just screw it onto the air port of the compressor to adjust the airflow.
    Im going to get some of this testor acrylic thinner also and see how that works out. I really want to get this working because i have a Mini Fort Max sitting in a box im pieces waiting to be painted up as Grand Maximus lol

11. PrimulArchangel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ahhh i had a feeling it was something like that with white and primer. Before using primers, white was the only paint color i ever had to thin, all my other colors never needed it.
    The syphon feed brush i got does have a larger tip on it that you can adjust the opening on. The gravity feed brush uses a .3mm needle .. My compressor doesnt have an adjustment for the air pressure. I guess i can order one of those and just screw it onto the air port of the compressor to adjust the airflow.
    Im going to get some of this testor acrylic thinner also and see how that works out. I really want to get this working because i have a Mini Fort Max sitting in a box im pieces waiting to be painted up as Grand Maximus lol