Customs: Airbrush Advice

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Hello everyone. I've decided to move up in my painting skills. Instead of limiting myself to whatever colors come in a can, I want to get an airbrush. Help me decide what brand/model to get. Here is a list of what I'm looking for.

External mixer ( to make cleanup and quick color change easier )
    Ability to connect to an air compressor
    Price in the $50-$60 range.

If my thoughts on the external mixer are wrong, please explain. Since I've never used one, I'm not that familiar with them and would love to be educated.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    IG

2. ^o^CORVUS^o^

^o^CORVUS^o^ You call on me to solve a crooked rhyme

Ebay:
    I second this, because I've been considering getting an airbrush for a couple of years now and still have yet to bite the proverbial bullet.

3. The Crow

The Crow ARK BUILDER!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  4. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I'm still not sold on an internal mixer. Cleanup may be "easy", but it still requires cleanup. Testors makes an external mixer that has lids you put on the little paint bottles. So if you want to change colors, it's as easy as switching the bottles on the end. No cleanup needed at all. This thing would require cleaning between colors. It may not be that big of a deal to most, but for my needs, constant color changes will happen so I'd like to make it as painless as possible. The reason I haven't bought the Testors one was that it doesn't have an adjustable nozzle nor can it hook up to a compressor.

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're not entirely right about no clean up though, because unless you're ok with mixing thee parts from swapping them with out cleaning, you're going to end up with a different shade of paying each time to change the paint bottles. Ready clean up is about as good as you're going ti get with out messing your paints up on a consistant basis.

6. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    That's just it though, the standard paint bottle you buy for $2 clips onto the end of the gun in front of the nozzle. There is a special lid to put on the bottle, but you can get extras of it. So if I want to do three different colors, I can put three lids on the 3 bottles and just unclip one and clip in the next. It really is quick change. There is no cleanup until you're done. Even then, since you use the little bottle the paint comes in instead of pouring it into the larger jar ( like that one linked earlier ), you can just remove the special lid and put the original lid back on. The only thing to clean is the little special lid. Had that thing had an adjustable nozzle ( spray was too wide ) and been able to hook to a compressor ( I never bought a new can of propellant ), I'd have kept using it.

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ahhhh, I get what you're saying now. Wonder if there is a way to make it compressor compatible...

8. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Not the one I had. It didn't have a hose. The can of propellant screwed right into the bottom of it. You actually had to hold it by the can and squeeze the trigger. The lack of adjustability in the width of the spray patter was a bigger problem for me though. I wasted a whole bottle of Alclad paint because I was putting more on the board than I was the piece I was painting.

9. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In guessing you can't control the pressure on that either, which alclad is supposed to only be sprayed at 15 psi. Sorry dude, other than getting more propelant, not sure what to say really. This might be something you should design, prototype, and sell to a bigger company :thumb .

10. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    I was hoping someone on here had some experience with a similar gun and could point me in the right direction. I saw one in a hobby shop in town before Christmas, but had spent all my money on presents so I didn't get it. Went back after the first of the year, and it was gone. I don't remember the brand or model, but it had everything I was looking for and was only $40. None of the employees had a clue what I was asking about. Unless someone else has used one like it, or that store gets more in so I'll see it when I walk back in, I may never find it. :(