Airachnid moves like a dream

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Snark, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the past few episodes have taught me anything, it's that the animation team have transcended mortality and entered the realm of godhood. The fight scenes in particular blow Darkness Rising and the early episodes out of the water!

The standout in my opinion is Airachnid. I love her fights. The way she utilizes every trick she has, from the spider limbs, her webbing and her alternate modes is beyond compare. Especially her alt modes; I don't think any of the other characters use their alt modes as liberally or creatively as Airachnid does.

But yeah, big props to the animators and choreographers for our creative and well executed the fights have been lately.

2. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I wholeheartedly agree.

I particularly love the eyes. They're actually quite heavily animated, and they succeed in showing emotions in a way that few cartoons are able too. And I agree with your stance on Airachnid - I love her creepy spider walking in particular. It's set up just right to hit that little bit of arachnophobia in people. :D 

From the macro sweep of a fight scene to micro features such as eye movement and lip quivering (Arcee in airachnid's clutches) - the animators have done a brilliant job here. Some of the first few episodes was a bit stiff, but they've really hit the ground running since then.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  3. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Can only agree that the animation of the series has been wonderfully fluid, detailed and expressive. Natural backgrounds, scenery and landscapes are beautiful to look at too. And it's only improving with recent episodes. Can you believe how some of us were comparing the CG animation quality of Beast Wars with this show in the beginning? I think we can safely say now that Prime's CG animation is a significant improvement from Beast Wars.

4. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always thought that was mere hyperbole; BW looks like crap :inquisiti 

5. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You don't even need to compare it to BW, compared it to BM, the first fight with Cliffjumper was already more fluid animation than BM's last fight with Optimal Megatron.

It's so advanced that I can't even consider saying Beast Wars animation > Prime's as nostalgia glasses, it's flat out trying too hard to be spiteful.

6. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I keep trying to watch Beast Wars, but I have to fight not to wince at the animation and visual effects. I like the characters, but I have real trouble adjusting to it.

I think that Prime's use of 2d painting for backgrounds will help it age much better. Also Beast Wars' robot models are it's strongest point so far for me, so hopefully the Prime models won't grow ugly, either.

It's always a risk with CG, I guess.

I'd love to get some really crisp versions of the background paintings to use as wallpapers. I wonder who did them?

7. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I think I remember Vince Toyama being responsible for designing much of the backgrounds and settings. He picked up one of the Daytime Emmy awards that Prime was nominated for: Hub Gets 8 Emmy Nominations, 6 Of Them For TF Prime.

8. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Well deserved, too. Cheers. :) 

9. Yoakem

Yoakem Well-Known Member

I do really like her. I didn't like her voice at first, and I still kind of don't, but it's growing on me.

10. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

Well, I can't really comment on fluidity, because I watch it on YouTube...which makes the fight scenes choppy as all hell. :tongue: 

However, I do love Airachnid's design, particulary her half-spider mode. I really hope they incorporate that into her (presumed) toy...but I suppose they kind of have to, with a name like "Airachnid".

11. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:

That's because animators who're making Prime are the same one's that made 'Ghost in the Shell' Innocence, 'Polygon Pictures'. I think they're one of the best animation companies out there. Not to mention Digitalscape, the company that helped build Metal Gear Solid 4, provided the recruitment.

What they did was awesome, I hope they have a long and prosperous relationship with Hasbro. I also hope their animation continues to evolve and improve.

12. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I think the presiding feeling on the matter is that she'll be a typical Helicopter former (I'd hope voyager, seeing Skyhammer), but with a sort of mid way point where her legs remain in the tail shape and the helicopter blades split to form her legs.

Done right I could see that being awesome. :D 

13. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I love the eyes too. There's a huge focus on them in the Prime aesthetic, and it looks really cool.

I love how the fights are choreographed. They have that kind of movieverse heftyness to them, where you can see the impacts clear as day. There's also a good deal of mixed fighting going on, where they use melee weapons, kicks, punches, blasters, etc. It all comes together to form some really fluid fights, that still feel like they are being fought by giant robots.

14. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    My only issue with the fighting (and it's really minor, and more an issue with the medium of a tv series compared to a movie and certainly not really an animation problem) is that it's decidedly non-lethal. No one seems to fight to kill, besides perhaps Arcee VS Airachnid. It's possibly the most anal thing to bring up, because of course if they fought to kill the cast would be dead in episode one, but it's something that occassionally annoys me, compared to the depictions of war in the movies. It's also a reason I'm glad the Eradicons are present, so the Autobot's can fight properly, so it's a shame the Decepticons have gone a bit quiet since Megatron's return. I have a feeling that'll change now Airachnid is in the mix, though.

Not sure where I'm going with that one. :lol 

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I've been watching Mainframe's Action Man show this week since I got some DVD's for 50p (it's a good show but some may find his sidekicks a minor pain) but the way they use the 'Amp factor' is really cool (Bit like Doctor Who's rarely used situational awareness cam). Over all the Animation is slightly weaker than Max Steel, but the lip synch is better and the voice acting is decent, the cartoon is good as it sort of all fits together if you watch them all one after another it tells a single story over all and comes to a complete end (bar some cheap and nasty follow up DVDs)

But if you like Reboot and Beast Wars and have never seen it -but were put off by it being Action Man - don't be it's worth watching for the over the top action scenes alone.

16. SearchmanDS

SearchmanDS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to agree that Airachnid's fight choreography is definitely one of the highlights in the animation. She uses her robot mode, her "spider" mode, and recently, even the "drill mode" rotations in combat. That combined with her personality and her design really makes me enjoy when she appears on screen.

17. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

No, its not anal. The more I think about the fights your right. She's just out to get arcee, jack, june, and perhaps silas.

Airachnid will mix things up.

We'll see.

18. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    The more obvious route to think is that she'll probably just use the Decepticons to get a new ship to leave, but not before exterminating Arcee and the human race, and probably try to restart her collection. I wouldn't be surprised if she tries to keep the weapon in "Partners" for herself.

19. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

In a few episodes arcee saids "I don't exist". It could be a hint or just a figure a speach for arcee.

We'll see.

20. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

You have brought up an important fact about the fights. The characters often retreat before they can get beaten up too badly, so we might not be seeing the full extent of their durability. The fights in the movie often end with a death, so having those all the time in Prime would result in ridiculous amounts of Eradicons dying, or named characters being introduced and destroyed in a hi and die fashion.