Airachnid: analysis and speculations

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Black Oracle, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    She's seductive. She's sadistic. She's a predatory hunter. She's Prime's Blackarachnia.

Let's discuss Airachnid.

She has a sick hobby of collecting alien 'trophies', echoing TFA Lockdown's collecting of parts from others as trophies. But she goes after the heads of organic creatures rather than technological modifications from Cybertronians. Jack's probably burnt her entire collection down with her ship now though.

She's wiped out alien species (meaning she's probably killed more lifeforms than any other Decepticon!). She's tortured and killed Autobots during the war on Cybertron. Her touch literally burns (acid!). She likes to work solo. Arcee hates her with a vengeance.

So what other details can we gleam about her from some of her dialogue in "Predatory":

"You're still holding a grudge? The war's been over for mega-cycles." - Apparently the crimes she commited against others in the past are pretty insignificant to her. She lacks remorse and empathy for the suffering of others. Classic psychological trait of psychopathic murderers. Cold-blooded killer basically.

"These days I travel solo. In pursuit of my new hobby." - She's a Decepticon by allegiance, but prefers to work alone. She almost falls into the free agent category. She doesn't seem to care too much about Decepticon goals and ambitions in general, but she does share their desire in making Autobots suffer. Get the feeling that she only works with the Decepticons because they're more in-line with her interests, but she probably doesn't like or trust other Decepticons very much.

"I collect endangered species. Of course they aren't really endangered...until they meet me." - Not only does she have a twisted hunting hobby, she's a mass murderer too. But how does she wipe out entire alien species? I'm betting that "Decepticon plague" mentioned for the next ep. "Sick Mind" may have something to do with it...

"At some point, you really have to ask yourself, Arcee, is it them? Or is it me?" - She loves playing mind games with her victims.

"And that's why I now prefer to work alone. It's so sad when bad things happen to those close to you." - She considers having partners a weakness. Could she be speaking from personal experience? Or was she just preying on Arcee's fears?

"But don't get me wrong. I fully intend to snuff out your spark. And believe me, I will make it hurt. But that won't compare to the pain you'll feel knowing I'm adding your human to my collection." - She derives pleasure in torturing victims mentally as well as physically. It's like she feeds off pain in all its forms. Maybe she enjoys inflicting pain on others after having pain inflicted upon her in the past?

"That's the spirit, Jack. Play hard to get." - She enjoyes the thrill of the hunt. Maybe she just likes her prey to suffer for longer.

"You're making this too easy, Jack. And I do not enjoy being bored." - She does not appreciate an easy kill.

Regarding her unique spider design, there's been no mention of how she may have obtained it. Now it may be that her design is just an unusual but natural Cybertronian one. She doesn't appear to have obvious organic elements in her as TFA BA did (except maybe for the acid and webbing she can produce). Or maybe there's an unnatural explanation behind the arachnid-style design. Maybe she was self-modified after studying alien species of spiders? Or maybe she was involved in "those 'Con experiments during the war" as mentioned by Arcee in the "Darkness Rising" eps.? The purple glow coming from her internally in her eyes and around her body could give credibility to the latter theory if it's evidence of dark energon in her.

Plus, how many modes does she have? The theories about a helicopter alt mode might be right looking at the 'rotor' on her back. Does she have a 'full' spider mode too (including a spider's head)? And what's her drill mode look like? Never did get a good look at it.

Any other thoughts or predictions regarding Airachnid? Share them here!

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Awesome thread. :thumb 

I think she'll probably scan a vehicle mode (most likely a helicopter) in the future.

3. Jive Guru

Jive Guru Professional Amateur

She mentions "the war has been over for Deca-cycles"

Outside of Prime, Megatron and a few splinter cells could the majority of Cybertonians have stopped fighting?

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Not really and not really. We've yet to see her doing any seducing, and she's a completely different character from Blackarachnia. The only thing they have in common is they both have something to do with Spiders.

5. Sideways77

Sideways77 its movie time here come the manbabies

News Credits:
    Wait. What? Airachnid is seductive?

I think she'll be a quaduple changer. (Robot, Spider, coptor, half-assed drill mode.)

6. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

she's hot

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Except she doesn't turn into a spider, it's just an alternate configuration for her robot mode. And she doesn't have a drill mode, half-assed or not. That's like saying when I dig with my hands I'm in a half-assed backhoe mode.

8. Sideways77

News Credits:
    Well, it's more of a mis-transfomrated Spider. And, then again, the 'drill' mode might just be an ability she has.

9. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

It could be that she went through something similar to what she did to Arcee, but instead of controlling her pain/bottling it up like Arcee did she turned to inflicting her it upon others. She did say "And that's why I now prefer to work alone". Just a thought.

10. Optimal Fan

Optimal Fan Paxion

Did anyone catch that bit about Cliffjumper? Something about hearing it over the Decepticon lines. Also I could not get a close look at her faction symbol but it looked different to me, perhaps an amalgam of Decepticon and Predicon?

11. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looked like a normal Decepticon symbol to me.

12. Sideways77

News Credits:
    Yes. She's trying to torment Arcee with painful memories.

It just looked like a normal Con symbol to me.

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I doubt she has dark energon in her. The purple glow definitely there, but it's different than the glow we saw with Megs and the Terrorcons. It's sorta like the glowing bits on Knock Out, but instead of red they're purple. I honestly think it's just a part of her design.

Agreed, though I can easily imagine her acting seductive in future appearances. We'll just have to wait and see.

As for her "modes", I believe we've only seen one true "mode" so far. The half-assed "spider-mode" is obviously just a faster way for her to get around, rather than a different form itself. The "drill-mode", to me at least, seems to just be another ability of hers. Much like the acid and webbing, it seems that she can dig tunnels trough the ground using her spider legs. Actually fits in quite nicely with the spider theme she has going on. Chances are she'll either obtain an alt-mode later on, or her already existing one will be revealed to us. Maybe, like Megatron, she'll choose to retain her Cybertronian form rather than scanning an Earth-based one.

14. GreenChick

GreenChick Well-Known Member

As a BA fan I'm happy to see she's still a favorite for discussions but I think some people may be jumping the gun here. The two she-spider similarities are only surface level. Appearances and mind games. How they use their instruments is fundamentally different. One inspires fear, the other lust. I think the change in having AR be a huntress instead of a temptress like BA reflects the writers on one of their approuches to Cybertronian psychology: they don't have sex drives. Thus the she-spider can't be lusty, only scary.

If she was BA everyone would expect the same thing be to behave like her previous incarnations: for romantic love to be a defining part of her character development. But because Cybertronians don't have sex drives romantic love becomes mute so the writers create another angle for her: go in the opposite direction. Don't make her desirable make her detestable. Airachnid is the anti-thesis of Blackarachnia.

Whether or not this good for BA's rep is up to you. For me it can make looking at BA hard, especially her TFA who I liked best. For some Airachnid represents the natural but negative progression of BA's character. Maybe so. She strikes me more of BA's evil counterpart among the TF mythos than being the next stage of BA's develop in the franchise. All those years of struggle, from darkness to light, enduring crap after crap, only to end up as the blackest evil that needs to be destroyed? Maybe it's the feminist in me talking but that's not how I like to think of our franchise's most important fembot progressing. Sorry RC fans, i'ts my opinion that she set the stage and RC is only now giving her a run for her money. But my mind is in firm denial this is NOT BA.

Still as a female character standing on her own merits she's a refreshing breathe of fresh-air. She is so NOT defined by female sex appeal, instead she represents the dangers of feminine darkness. The female that hunts man not to seduce him but to destroy him instead. She's a deadly beast, a force of wild and dark nature that needs to be smothered. Let the fire and light ignited by the young man Jack try to destroy her nest of grave evils.

Look at my Avatar and name. I have a thing for femininity and nature, okay?!?

15. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    I like the character of Airachnid, she's super creepy. I wonder how she'll do compared to Blackarachnia.

Well, you wouldn't make a good backhoe.

16. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    it really seems to me that the character was written as TFP's version of Black Arachnia, but someone vetoed it for whatever reason. Maybe because she came out darker. I really don't find her satisfactorily unique to think of her as a different character. Put it this way: I don't think there's room for the two of them in the same universe.

It's like trying to argue that Ginrai has nothing to do with Optimus Prime.

If they're gonna add a new character, then do that. There's still plenty of scope for new characters that are unlike anything we've had before.

17. Tracker Hound

Tracker Hound Banned

She is more bad ass than Blackarachnia. Blackarachnia was a tragic past character in Animated who was unsure about which side should she be helping. In Beast Wars and Beast Machines she falls in love Silverbolt and becomes a goodguy.

18. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I have a theory about Airachnid: what if she's a corrupted Elita-One? Twisted and drastically altered by Decepticon experimentation? Those yellow horns on the back of her head and the split collar at the bottom of her neck make me wonder. I've been envisioning this backstory that ties her, Optimus and Arcee together:

During the war on Cybertron, Optimus, Elita One and Arcee were involved in a mission into Decepticon territory. Events took a terrible turn when both Elita One and Arcee were in danger and Optimus only had time to save one of them. He chose to save Arcee. Elita One was assumed dead and left behind (perhaps falling from a great height or disappearing in an explosion). Arcee promised a bereaved Optimus that 'whilst she could never replace Elita One, she would do everything in her ability to try and fill her place' (hence creating the "special bond" with Optimus Prime mentioned in Arcee's bio). But unknown to the Autobots, Elita One had not perished. The Decepticons later found Elita One after Optimus and Arcee had escaped and took her captive. They decided to use her as a subject in one of their experiments. She was reprogrammed into a Decepticon and physically altered into Airachnid, beyond the recognition of her former Autobot friends.

If something like this turned out to be the case, could make future interactions and relationships between Optimus, Arcee and Airachnid very complicated! And it would provide a reason for how Arcee came to be one of Optimus' best and most trusted soldiers.

19. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I honestly hope not. They've already established her as a new and unique character, so I hope they don't give her a similar back story to Animated Blackarachnia.

As for trying to explain the reason she looks the way she does, I honestly don't think there really needs to be one. Maybe that's just the way she's always looked, and there could be more bots like her that are just naturally more animalistic in design.

20. Autob ironhide

Autob ironhide Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know she going to scan for alternate mode. What it is I really dont know. I think arcee will become close with another bot like( tailgate and cliffjumper) just to be killed by Airachind. Then arcee will kill her.