Customs: Air brushing, spray painting and apt life...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Jan 30, 2010.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Hi there.

Well, winter is in full swing. I use various spray paints often when customizing, most of which say not to spray under 40 degrees. Not to mention painting in below 20 degree weather makes my pee pee shrink.

Now, I can still manage to step right outside my door (3rd floor) and quickly get a coat on a part with no problems, but this situation has caused me to greatly rethink buying an airbrush.

Living in an apt, I had never seriously considered an airbrush. I just use various forms of car paints, like Dupli color, or Krylon Fusion with good results so I can be mobile and take them outside. With no garage or ventilated workspace, I'm not sure if it's possible to even use an airbrush indoors.

I have a walk in pantry that I don't use, and last week I tried out an idea; I used large garbage bags, put them around the walls of the pantry with tacks, and placed flat cardboard boxes on the tile floor. There was more than enough room to spray with the door closed, I protected the walls/floor from any overspray, but alas, even with a mask or tshirt around my face, the vapor was unbearable.

Then I thought perhaps the main issue there was the fact that I was spraying car paint and krylon, and when I thought about it, any standard acrylics like Model Master or Tamiya don't seem to have that large amount of toxic vapor and could be bearable with an airbrush in such an environment.

So, thusly, I'd appreciate any suggestions on airbrushing and apartment life.

Thanks for your time!

2. simonatmac

simonatmac The stop motion maker

Ebay:
    Hey, me too life in apt.
    No problems with airbrush but get a quiet machine one because of the neighborhood. I´ve brushed for almost a decade here now, no problems.
    I use sth like this: [​IMG]And several airbrushes of Sokolee (Paasche), Revell, etc. Make sure you wear gloves. I mostly use colors which can be thinned with water.

3. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

definately need a quiet compressor.....but u can just sit it on something that will absorbed the vibration.....
    Ventilation is ur main problem tho ....perhaps u can make a paintbooth...and have the air blow out the window......hmmm
    try this Economy Paint Booth for Models

4. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dude...if you are in an apartment, please do yourself a favor and get a box, a small fan, and one of those dryer ducts to vent outside.....

That would be my suggestion....safety first:) 

5. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

I too, am in an apartment. However, mine is a ground floor with half of it underground. I just open my living room window, lean out and quickly spray my Krylon Camo, and shut the window.