Minor/Repaint: Ain't too PRID to beg..Dormamu's PRID-ey upgrades

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Dormamu, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I have a confession. When I first saw the PRID versions of Prime and Megatron, my first thought was that we got shafted by not having the First Edition versions of these figures. However, I had a gift card and a few coupons, and made use of them by getting both anyway. And yes, they still have their own pros and cons for these versions, but the biggest issue isn't the clear plastic parts in my opinion, but with the weapons. They could be better. So that's where I decided to follow some of the other Radicons suit and mod my own.

This is still a work in progress, but I wanted to post what I've done so far. TCracker (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/569096-simple-prid-voyager-optimus-touch-ups.html) and a few others have done some modifications to their own PRID Primes.

[​IMG]

First, the cannon. I wanted something that was close to the First Edition cannon because the fact that it fits over the hand, and looks seemless is what I really like about it. Too bad no one has tried to mold the weapon. So instead I took apart my cannon, very simple, it's three screws (a jewelers screwdriver did the trick), and remove the led pack with the spring. That will leave you with a simple cannon.

[​IMG]

But I also wanted something that could look good in his alt mode and integrate. So I picked up some styrene rods, and found the right size for Prime's hand. I cut to length and used Plastic Welder to put it in place, at a slight angle inside the hollowed out part, so it appears that the cannon is straight when he's holding it. In order for it to fit well, I had to dremel the inside post as well as some of the clear blue plastic so that when his hand sits inside that part, it fits flush.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

For the alt mode, I looked at several options, but decided to try to make it part of his back to cover up the shoulder joints. Happy accident here was that I had a gundam knee cap that was the perfect size. I plastic welded that to the side and now when you have Prime in alt mode, the gun will stay in place on the back of the cab. It looks more like an AC unit for his cab. And since the gun folds up, it does it in a neat little package, with no problems. If anything, painting and primer have made it non-floppy. No more floppy blue guns!

[​IMG]

In order for it to be flush, I dremeled the handle that was originally on the underside. I did a gray primer and a flat Testors acrylic black mixed with a dot of Future to let it sit, as well as a touch of Testors Acrylic teal for the inner barrel. I have a little rubbing that I need to fix, but it's almost there. I also went and painted Prime's arms with Testors gloss red with a small dab of Future as well, and it looks so much better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

His sword is still a work in progress, but my intent was to turn it from the cruddy He-man sword into something that looked show-like, and could again attach in alt mode. Two styrene rods later and not only does it fit in his hand and make it look sideways, but it fits on the underside in the hole where the screw for his crotch is. You can barely see it in alt mode, and the whole thing fits very well. The idea is that I want to take some additional flat white styrene and make the blade slightly longer, and wider. I'll keep posting updates as I go through it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Next is Megatron. The problem I had was that is Cyberverse counterpart had more accuracy than the voyager version, particularly the energon blade attachment. After viewing Pimptimus_Prime's cannon (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/553391-tf-prime-voyager-megatron-cannon-w-i-p.html), and particularly ichnach's (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/560134-tfp-megatron-arm-cannon-wip.html), I wanted to do the same. In my case, I just took apart the fusionphallus and used the same light (found at Target for 4.95) but used the peg from the original.

[​IMG]

For the blade, I took the blades off, glued the pieces together tightly, and then snipped the small nubs on the front of the gauntlet, and glued the blade pieces together. It still works very well as his weapon, if not better in my opinion, since it makes it longer, and closer to the model.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In a happy accident, in alt mode, all I have to do is flip the blade over, and slide it in between the purple section, then put the cannon in place, and it holds by friction. And it makes the blade look a lot like the contrail the show version has. I'm almost wondering if this was what the designers had in mind for the figure originally.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do I want to paint Megatron up? Yes, after looking at zeroXII's, Solracs, and several others, I do, as well as adding an led for the eyes which would be my first. Really, I'm considering using Optimus's rifle LED for the project because it's about the right size, but I've got to get a soldering iron.

Let me know what your thoughts are. I'm interested to do a bit more work, and there's a way to go with Megatron. Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. openchallenge

openchallenge Plastic based

looks cool. :) 

3. Gatchaman

Gatchaman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good job D, those are some cool mods!

4. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have to agree that Prime is actually pretty good save for that giant turd of lighted of plastic.

Nice work. Going to try some of this myself and use Arcee big arse gun as my fallback if necessary.