AHM #9 - Warning spoilers!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by UltraMagnus3786, Mar 25, 2009.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Wow, after last issue this was such a letdown. In general I've been a fan of AHM, and while I recognize the first few issues were a little slow, it has gained significant pace since then. The art had been consistently prime (he he), the premise was interesting, and the breakdown of certain characters was pretty cool (although these breakdowns build on what Furman already established).

This issue seems to be a step backwards in terms of pacing. This issue should've been contracted and combined with whatever comes in the next issue. Morever, Prime's return was all but glorious, Frenzy's death was quick and easy, and you don't get a good sense of mourning from Soundwave other than it causes him to drop his communications block. Lastly, the cartoony and emotionless art of Robert Deas and Emiliand Santalucia is a step backwards from the dark, more jagged (read: more appropriate) art of Guido Guidi.

Bring Guidi back and keep up the pacing!! It's time to roll out and kick some ass!!

2. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Mmm, that was Rumble. And the switching back and forth between art styles was jarring.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Dammit, they shifted artists again?

4. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, this artist blows, esp when compared to Guido.

And seriously, Optimus came back like that? Wow, that was really lame.....

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Most disappointing issue yet. And I was stuck buying the retailer incentive issue too.

6. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    In my observation, IDW is pretty inconsistent with art, because artists probably miss rather tight deadlines, which is why some comics you see 2, 3, sometimes 4 or 5 colourists working on a single issue, all with different styles. And yeah, pencillers of different styles changing from issue to issue, and sometimes within the same comic is jarring. Don't get me started about IDW's Beast Wars Sourcebook. There didn't even seem to be any effort in that project to ensure the artists involved drew the characters so that they looked like they came from the same continuity universe. What a mess of different styles.

The "loads of different colourists" happened on Dreamwave, too, but one of the saving graces of Dreamwave's enforced House Style, in my opinion, was that there was an effort to keep the different colourists' styles consistent.

7. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

def frenzy

8. steph1979

steph1979 Banned

I don't mind shifts in visual style but I understand its a personal thing. For one thing, the stories are important, I don't feel TF as a brand is dictated by personal style (which is a good thing).

Considering independent comic publishers are on thin ice already, I'd rather sacrifice the art; consistency in releases is more important.

Could be worst. It could be Jose Delbo.

9. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I miss the days when artists were professionals. Some of them knocked out 2 or 3 books a month, on time, every time.

10. steph1979

steph1979 Banned

I don't think its like that. Guido's been around awhile and is close to the community so I think that kinda insinuation is rude. The industry is a lot different these days. Marvel in the old days would have 'bullpens' where in-house guys would assist in finishing, I'm not sure its the same case nowadays but indie publishers hardly have the luxury. Fact is, IDW would have to pay slightly more for hiring 2 different artist so its not like they're being a cheap.

11. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    I doubt a bullpen can exist anymore since a lot of artists can work out of their homes nowadays and submit electronically.

I imagine Guido was running behind, so they got some fillin artists.

Although yeah. Emiliano's pages were great. Fit in VERY well. But the other artist's were too jarring IMO. I DO like the art. But it doesn't fit well next to the book's other style.

12. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    When I seen the 5 page preview I thought the whole issue was like that, I was a bit disappointed. But I was fine when I seen the art changed back to Guido.

But this issue was missing alot of detail. People would mention doing something and a few pages later it's been done. Like Prime's revival, Im glad my boy is back but I would've like to see how it happened.

Other than that I gave-up hope on this series after issue 6. I like it but Im not getting my hopes up about it anymore.

Bloody hell have to reorder issue #8! Anyone else notice quality issues with IDW? I got this ugly crease at the edge of my book. Last time it was a staple and a small rip in the spine the time before that.

13. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Hey hey hey, they're all professionals.

Emiliano, like Guido, is very good at drawing G1 cartoon-styled/influenced comics.

14. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Sorry. It was Rumble. This isn't the cartoon.

Anyways... man, jarring is the exact word I thought about to describe the art. The Earth portion, anyways. Not terrible, i fact I really liked the way the humans were designed, but it just didn't fit in with the rest of the issue not to mention the rest of the series. I like having different art styles, not a fan of DW's "house style", but within a mini-series like this I like consistency. Emeliano's work in the book was at least consistent with what Guido had been doing.

Also... how long has it been since we've seen humans? Were these even the same characters we met several issues back? I can't tell. Other than Spike not a single human being in this book is the least bit memorable. Well, maybe Reflectors' "playmate" from last issue.

Oh... how many more times this series are they going to have a last page revelation (like last issue) then the next issue (this one) not build on it? Hell, even mention it? That's really fricking annoying, and I have a feeling that it's going to make the book feel really disjointed when read as a whole...

15. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Bugger, was hoping this issue would pick things up.

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Right. Frenzy was referred to by name early in the series. He was the blue one. The red and black one is Rumble and he wasn't present at the time.

17. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I may be in the minority about this issue, but have to disagree entirely. Okay, I agree about the art in the Earth scenes, but I found this issue with the fallout of Sunstreaker's betrayal and death to be the most emotionally moving yet.

Ironhide gives a heartfelt apology to Mirage, and Mirage reponds with "go to hell." The significance of not fixing his messed up Autobot symbol was a brilliant moment.

It's sad to see the ususally optimistic BB so gloomy, he hates Drift for some reason, I hope a futute Spotlight reveals why, either Drift's upcoming one or the BB mini.

Nice to see Hot Rod and Blaster trying to keep the peace and remain on the bright side, even if it doesn't work.

Sideswipe's speech about how the war broke Sunny was just heartbreaking, I found Op's return to be a glorious moment indeed. Inspiring after all the Bots have endured for 8 long issues and if the his return seemed a little miraculous after Ratchet's statement that Kup better prepare for the worst and Op might not make it, I see that as just Ratchet trying to be realistic and then underestimating his and Wheeljack's skills as a miracle workers, plus a little misdirection on the writer's part. Op's return would never be as shocking if Ratchet had said, yeah, Op's going to be fine don't worry, storytelling suspense devices simply don't work that way. Op's return and speech had me grinning from ear to ear. I'm sure we'll get more about just how he mamanged to pull through next issue, but it really doesn't matter, the point is he did pull through, and Op is back baby! It's wonderful!

I also liked Ratchet's brief comment about Perceptor, and prefering the quiet competent scientist to the badass warrior and as backhanded comment about what Kup's influence and the war had turned Perceptor into.

Rumble's "death" (whether he really is dead or not at the moment or which tape it's supposed to be really doesn't matter, but I'm pretty sure its Rumble in this case) and Soundwave's reation was nothing short of moving and brilliant imho. Too short? We get two full pages of Soundwave's reaction. Considering how much I wasn't liking the Earth scenes art up to this point, I found this moment to be wonderfuly impressive. The complete silence of the pannels, no dialogue, the refection of Rumble in Soundwave's visor as he relaizes what's happened and lifts him up in his arms, and then from complete silence we go to a deafening eulogy of anguish from Soundwave as every audio/media device in NYC turns back on. I was a little unclear about whether the end of the communcations blackout was a side effect of Soundwave's mourning or intentional so that he could mourn, but the contrast of slience and sound in those two pages was brilliant in my mind. Like in the war movies when the film slows down as a representation of time slowing down to focus on that one guy who realizes his friend next across the battle field has just been shot down dead. The layout of those pannels for Soundwave was just a heart stopping moment for me.

I may be in the minority but I am loving AHM more and more each issue and look forward to it with great anticipation each month. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving Furman's stuff too, but I am loving the emotional depth AHM is giving these characters in a way I feel some of them have never had a chance to shine before in the comics anyway.

18. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:

He's been reading the message boards. :wink: 

19. Mat-Man

Mat-Man Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think that's really Optimus up and about. We don't see Kup, Ratchet, or Wheeljack anywhere around when he makes his return. I don't have the issue handy to check, but I don't recall seeing Hound anywhere in the scene, so I'm wondering if maybe Kup had Hound make up a hologram of Prime to try and boost their morale and keep them from giving up and/or killing each other...basicaly trying to prevent another Ironhide/Mirage incident.

20. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    imho good issue but the switching of the art was terrible and I for one liked the way they brought Prime back although it wouldve been better to see him return in a fight sequence but ah well cant always have everything right