AHM#8 Comments (Spoilers here!)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by General Tekno, Mar 11, 2009.

1. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Well, we now know who the traitor is.

Sunstreaker.

He made a deal with Starscream - Him and the Autobots would take out Megatron together, and in return Starscream would get Earth. (Though as a condition, Sunstreaker wanted every single human killed by the 'cons).

Only he got played.

HOWEVER! There's no way Sunstreaker could have provided the 'cons the codes and access to Autobot systems... so there's more going on.

Cue the last page. Where Bombshell has, hooked up to a massive horrible apparatus...

Hunter O'Nion.

Looks like the 'cons are pumping him for info... which explains how they were able to play Sunstreaker as well as they did...

Also, Starscream's planning something along with a mysterious Decepticon... and he's gone to talk with the Insecticons about his plans.

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    That... actually sounds pretty fucking sweet.

3. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Well... still not loving the series, not by any means, but I'm glad I stuck around this long to at least see how they're bringing things together. Pretty good issue all around. It seemed fairly obvious that 'Streaker was the traitor as of last issue, but I never thought poor Hunter would end up in the condition he's in.

4. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not really liking the reason Sunstreaker betrayed the Autobots, but I quite liked the cliffhangers the issue gave us. Another thing that rubbed me the wrong way is when Bumblebee said that does it matter if Drift's left behind, doesn't sound like something he'd say.

5. General Tekno

News Credits:
    Oh, I read spoilers earlier today and it sounded sweet.

Picked it up, it was sweet.

Then I got to that last page... and I was thinking "My god. Poor Hunter." The art is EXTREMELY well done on that page.

Myself, I REALLY hope that this isn't the end of Hunter's role in the story... and you know something? Given that he's still a Headmaster, HOW did the Autobots not know he got captured in the first place?

Myself, I'm hoping that Hunter gets his payback on that bastard Bombshell, who is in the category of "villains I like as villains but absolutely deplore". He joins the ranks of Maestro Delphine of Last Exile and Medusa from Soul Eater in that pantheon.

6. General Tekno

News Credits:
    Well... with Sunstreaker. As someone put it on another board, he had the mental equivalent of rape inflicted on him. Given he already had disdain for humans, being captured and USED by humans in that manner would probably have snapped his psyche somewhat.

7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Wait, he wanted GENOCIDE inflicted on an entire world? Dear lord....

8. Boo

Ebay:
    Yeah. That's pretty crappy... but understandable, in a way, given wht Tekno just said.

Still, though... crappy.

9. General Magnus

That´s not very "Autobot" of him.

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Sunstreaker always verged on being a Con so it's kinda fitting.

11. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

Not every Autobot is a good guy. Which I think is great.

12. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Welp, that takes Sunstreaker out of the comics. For good, maybe, or maybe not. While it's nice to see another Autobot have a reason for wanting to betray the Autobots rather than Mirage, the way this was done with this book was very... off base.

The truth of it is Sunstreaker never had much character development in any incarnation except as a brawler with an ego the size of Unicron. So he get's screwed with by Scorponok with the help of a few evil humans and he's willing to just betray his own to damn them all.

Where this seems far fetched to me is that he knows better. Being a part of Hunter, he knows that Humans aren't all bad. The fact that Hunter saved him in the first place seems to be forgotten. In fact, the way the story reads to me, Sunstreaker gave Hunter over to the Decepticons. If anyone deserves to say screw you guys, it's Hunter.

But, with Sunstreaker now gone, and any hope of redemption is now lost since he threw himself away, (not for honor or glory but for plain suicide) I have to wonder if this character is forever done with IDW. Will they bring him back as a body for Hunter should he survive the Decepticons? (and not want to kill all the Autobots for what happened to him) Will they give us another Sunstreaker and say that the old one wasn't really him but a fake set up by Scorponok? Would they or we want them to even bother considering the lack of any morals that he's shown?

I'm not really a fan of the character so I honestly could care less if he's ever used again. Yet, I can't help but think what a waste his death was in this story. They could have played this up a lot better than they did and really shown some real character growth for him. Now he's just another casualty in an endless war that has long lost it's point. He'll be spit upon by his fellow bots and fans alike as a shallow, useless character with no saving grace at all.

13. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What I'm going to say will probably be seen as bashing (and it probably is), but I don't intend to ruin anybody's enjoyment of this series, I would just like to express my dissatisfaction with the series on a forum where I won't be permanently banned for expressing such opinions.

Honestly, no surprise at all with Sunstreaker being the traitor. I had wanted to stop buying the series with issue #6, but #7 was in my pulls from my local comic shop and I didn't feel like sticking them with something that wouldn't sell because I wasn't quick enough to hit the kill switch (I've known the store owner for a decade now).

Like I said in the thread about solicits for the issue for this week, Sunstreaker's expression in #7 when Ironhide gave Mirage the beat-down (when compared to the other Autobots) cemented that he was the traitor.

Sunstreaker wanting genocide was a definite surprise, though. Even for the most vicious Autobots, that's a little further than they would go (and Sunstreaker might only barely make the cut for the Top Ten list of those bots). Considering the circumstances, I could definitely see him saying "Make them all suffer", but this was definite mis-characterization.

The Hunter part was also a surprise, but that one worked. It would have been harder to believe that Sunstreaker gave up all of that critical information for what he was getting.

My big gripe, and why I won't even look at the rest of the series (I only flipped through the issue sitting on the shelf today, a single lonely copy) is Drift. Not for the usual "He sucks!", "He's just a fill-in for a bad-ass", "He's just Shane McCarthy's fanfic character!", or the associated drivel, but his finally doing something this issue drove something home for me: Shane McCarthy never saw, nor does he want to see, anything about the original Transformers beyond the '86 movie.

I know: How could I possibly say that?

Well, McCarthy said he wanted to make a unique homage to the Japanese with his character. But if McCarthy had given the post-movie characters a cursory look, either Drift would be completely different or he would've described Drift completely differently.

So, what makes me say that (rationally, that is, rather than the irrational ranting that has plagued this series since shortly before the first issue hit the shops)?

Compare Drift to Getaway. The only substantial difference is Drift uses swords, instead of a gun. Heck, even the Earth-vehicle-mode is almost identical (most of the minor differences, as there are no major differences, are down to simply an update in the styling).

Well that's the end of my (hopefully not entirely irrational) rant. I, of course, have other reasons that I will no longer follow AHM, but the one that fully-solidified with this issue, I felt I had to get off my chest. I could've dealt with all the other complaints about Drift being reality (which they aren't), but seeing what that character truly is pushes me completely over the edge.

I'll probably start buying IDW's offerings again with AHM:Coda (since McCarthy isn't going to be the only one writing that), but I hope that other than the Drift Spotlight issue, that character never shows up again (after AHM, of course).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  14. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see where you're coming from with the mental equivalent of rape, but if somebody were to get raped by a man they would want all men to die. It just seems a little extreme. Perhaps I'm trying to put too much hate on the issue given the track record of responses to previous issues.

15. General Tekno

News Credits:
    Keep in mind that Sunstreaker's always been a sociopath.

And looked down on the humans already.

I see this as VERY believable. He can't accept that a LESSER race did that to him. It's a blow to his pride and self-esteem.

I thought this was a VERY interesting end for a character who Furman did a good job developing.

Also, re: Drift. I'm REALLY curious now how he came to join the Autobots. Especially given the hints we're getting that he may have been a Decepticon at some point.

16. Boo

Ebay:
    My biggest problem with Sunstreaker being the traitor, is that it took till the 7th issue for him to even be introduced as a character in the series. He did nothing more than sit in the background till about the middle of last issue, then all of a sudden he's the one? And he's now (at least presumably) dead? Come on, man.

I swear, in a lot of ways it feels like their just makng the second half of the series up on the fly based on the need to eliminate the negatvity surrounding the first half. It's made the series a bit more interesting, but unless they pull off something great in the next few issues, it'll continue to be too little too late. The description of AHM:Coda also doesn't really make me to hopeful... a 12-issue maxi-series shouldn't have many gaps that need to be filled in or leave too many unanswered questions...

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Everybody here already knows my long-time campaign against AHM. But this Sunstreaker thing really makes me sad.

While I know many people didn't like the Hunter-Sunstreaker headmaster thing (possibly because the idea of sticking a 1984 character with a 1987 gimmick is off-putting), but I honestly enjoyed it. I was looking forward to seeing Sunstreaker's time with Hunter changing him, changing both of them.

I was looking forward to seeing Furman's plans of Sunstreaker/Hunter becoming the truly melded Headmaster pair, even more than Scorponok/Dante. I liked the touch that in the now-abandoned Hail and Farewell where it is implied that Hunter's family is considered part of Sunstreaker's memories, and Hunter refers to himself as Sunstreaker. I idea of the Autobot who despises humans would become part-human himself appeals to me in a scifi sort of way.

Just feels like a wasted opportunity to do something a little different in modern TF comics :( 

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Poor Sideswipe. Now he'll never get Sunstreaker's right arm.

19. General Magnus

What´s this AHM:Coda, people are talking about?

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That actually sounds very much like Sunstreaker. In Megatron: Origins, we was all set and ready to follow what would become the Decepticons. Plus, he's always been one step away from being a Decepticon, in most if not all continuities. Put some genuine contempt for a speices who inflicted a great evil apon him (and he even disliked them greatly before that) and I totally get it. Though I agree with Fit For natalie in that the Hunter/Sunstreaker thing was a waste of a good oppurtunity.

I would've been happier with either way, but the Headmaster deal with SS would've been better in the long term.