AHM #6 Review (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lord Shockwave, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Read it.

The last two issues showed that good dialogue can sometimes make up for other deficiencies present in a comic. Strong dialogue helps engage the reader, helps distract them from the other flaws that might be present, and usually are, in every comic. In this way, the comic might even be considered a good read, or at least worth the four bucks spent.

Not so in this case.

This issue had it's moments of dialogue, but in this instance, it in no way distracted me from the major flaw that has become all too apparent regarding this series.

The absence of plot progression.

We are six months, six months, into this tale, and there has been absolutely no progression of the plot to this point. We have remained stuck on the themes of "Decepticons destroy puny humans, whilst Autobots banter amongst themselves" for far, far too long.

This is the first issue I've felt the dialogue to be overly verbose and very vague. Just what the hell exactly were Starscream and Megatron talking about? Is he confused? Is he bored? It's not a good sign when the motivations of the title character are vague and uninspired. It's almost annoying, like Spotlight:Sixshot all over again.

The only strong character moment I enjoyed this issue was between the Seekers and the Insecticons. The rest of the interactions just dragged the story. At six issues in, character development needs to take a back seat to plot progression, at least for an issue or two.

And what's the deal with Drift? Was I supposed to be impressed by that intro? Was it supposed to be a pleasant surprise that he didn't go all ninja for us?

Artwise, it's another win, as Guido and Josh continue their masterful rendition of things here. In fact, I would say it's the strongest of this series thus far, which overall has been beautiful. But art alone does not a story make.

A "C-". Weaker dialogue making the absence of plot so much more obvious. If Shane wants to take his time with this tale, he has to hold our attention in other ways. Sadly, this time, there was no saving grace.

I really hope IDW reconsiders their plan to release a TPB of a story that has gone nowhere in terms of story. It would not be fair to the buyers who might think there is some semblence of a conclusion at the end. There's not even a semblence of a "middle" at this point.

2. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know whether to continue reading AHM, I got far more from Maximum Dinobots single issue than 6 issues of autobots moping, decepticons killing humans that i simply don't care about. the plot moves slower than is believable and talking around important plot aspects for one issue is forgiveable but 6. Done.

3. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Skywarp, an embittered soldier for millions of years is starting to feel lonely?
    Really?
    Megatron going all emo...

So, the next six issues are(you heard it here first):
    1.The Autobots begin to regroup
    2.The Decepticon army continues to fragment
    3.Megatron leaks information/supplies to the Autobots
    4.The Autobots discover the traitor, and beat Megatron's plans out of him
    5.Autobots come back to Earth and begin to fight the Decepticons
    6.The Decepticons are defeated but secretly grateful because they didn't want any peace.

Everyone drinks some creaming soda and we're left with a continuity that can't really be built upon.

4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Yeah, my thoughts are pretty much echoed here. SOMETHING NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

5. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Blah. I hate this. Any chance IDW'll come to their senses and replace this "writer" with Furman or Mowry (or hell, Budiansky!) to actually make something decent out of the back 6 issues?:( 

6. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

If they were going to spend the past couple issues talking about what happened before this story, why couldn't they have just started the arc of the story from that earlier point?

7. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So the plot that I'm supposed to wait and see pan out and explain away at least one of my problems with the lack of continuity still hasn't really done anything halfway through the mini?

Awesome. I'm looking forward to the unbelievable next 6 issues. Bracing myself for the rollercoaster ride of at least one thing happening by the summer of 2009!

I will admit too that I'm writing this reply before having read the issue. I will report back once I have!

8. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Maybe if we're lucky, Maximum Dinobots will outsell AHM, and things will be put back the way they were.

9. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
  10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Zomg, Perceptor is a sharpshooter! That was so unexpected.

11. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

Who's Drift?! I've never heard of him before.

12. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Character created for the story. He's got an action figure coming out!

13. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    You're kind of jumping the gun there.
    Hasbro hasn't announced a toy at all, it's only been Shane McCarthy saying Drift is getting a toy.
    And I'm incredibly skeptical of anything that guy says.

14. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

That was actually my farvorite part of the issue.

Tracks: "That was scary. Perceptor - Perceptor is scary. When did Perceptor become scary?"

Cliffjumper: "That was so cool."

I agree with the overall sentiment that this series is seriously dragging it's feet. Why introduce The Swarm? Why create a new ninja robot character called Drift? Two utterly pointless plot points that do absolutely nothing to move the central part of the story forward: the Decepticons have taken control of Earth and the Autobots are banished and regrouping on Cybertron while Optimus Prime is near death. We've got $12 worth of story in $24 worth of comics. I'm not happy about that at all.

15. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Is Drift a ninja or a samurai? I can't tell.

Detour: I think IDW as a company claimed Drift was being made into a toy, though yeah, Hasbro hasn't said a peep about this. One assumes if Drift is being made into a toy, it has to be out this year before the Universe line ends/is put on hiatus in a couple of months.

16. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dammit, this book needs to pick up the fucking pace. They have this cool setup, but they're not doing anything with it. I mean, the Drift-Perceptor scene was cool, but it really feels like nothing is happening. I still have hope for this series, but they have got to get their shit together.

17. Spoon

Spoon Banned

He's a totally wicked cool Saminja.

He's awesome!!!
    Like:
    "This will be in continuity,"
    "I'm going to explain why the Seekers are F-15s"
    "The pacing of the book was a deliberate decision by me that I understand hasn't sat well with some of my readers. Some people love it, some people don't."

That said, he did tell us this...
    "I knew from day one that this was going to piss some people off. "

18. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Sarcasm is fun :D 

Or he's a Ninurai. He's fast, stealthy and speedy honourable, fearless warrior who also assassinates people while in disguise and in hiding from his enemies. Yes.

19. Spoon

Spoon Banned

:lol :lol 

So, what are Jazz's motives for being a traitor?

20. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    Hey, how come Megatron is so big in that double page spread of him smashing a tank? He's as big as cartoon Devastator there. The way he's drawn makes him look like he could squash a normal-sized car mode Autobot.

For a comparison, check out how big Cybertron mode Megatron was in issue 5 of Infiltration where he smashes tank-mode Blitzwing.