AHM #16 - spoilers

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by UltraMagnus3786, Oct 14, 2009.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

And so, AHM comes to an end. Some may lament, some may say good riddance, but I think most are probably looking forward to the ongoing. On the whole, I personally liked AHM, but it did have some glaring shortcomings. So with that, I present to you my thoughts on #16.

Man of Steel: Guidi is back and boy is his art awesome. For some reason, I got a WW II hospital movie-feel. Take that as you may, but the story involves Spike and mainly humans. Basically two guys named Frank Dille and Frank Shin (wow Costa, really?) ask a banged up (this has double meaning given the hottie nurses) Spike to be part of a UN/Skywatch force to hunt down remaining transformers. A few things worth noting-- Guido's art, in my opinion works best when he's dealing with robots. The human drawings are fine, but the bots have a gritty G1 feel to them. This comes out in Spike's fight with Ravage (by the dialogue we are to believe he's dead, although Spike's face is strained, perhaps lying) and Thrust. Poor Thrust, you can't help but feel bad for him, and his exposed "skeleton" is drawn to perfection. The story ends with Spike being told his daddyo will be running the new Skywatch, and Spike looks all but happy. The story is pure setup for the ongoing, but is enjoyable for its darker implications. 3.7/5. The action art is pure Guidi, but there's not much action for him to really draw. 3.5/5

Hidden: A bumblebee story, harkening to the old bee we know. Here, humans are hunting him as he tries to make contact with his fellow Autobots. I'm not really sure why he was separated from the rest of the gang after AHM 12, but whatevs. This is a character piece more than anything else, a spotlight if you will. 'Bee is willing to put himself in danger for the sake of humans-- it's a story told many times before, but not as much in the IDW-verse. Chee's art is as it was in the Starscream AHM 11 (?), so you either love it or hate it. I'm starting to come around, and again, some panels would make great wall paintings. One thing to note-- he picks up a robot's detached arm and he questions how the humans could do such a thing. The brutality of humans toward the transformers seems to be an ongoing issue, and I hope it's explored in the ongoing. In the end, Prime saves a weakened Bee from destruction, and Ratchet repairs him. Good character piece and art, 4/5 for both.

Sorry for such the rush job, but I'm trying to get out of the office before being summoned for more work! On another note, I've been thinking of revisiting the -ation storyline and reading thru, giving my thoughts as I go along. If anyone would like me to do this and spur some convo on the older issues, please let me know.

Anyway, enjoy everyone, I'm certainly looking forward to November!

2. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    All Hail Megatron #16. I skimmed through it pretty quickly at the end of my lunch hour, so I may have some other thoughts or corrections after I'm able to sit down and read it thoroughly.

Like the other coda issues, there are two stories. The first concerns Spike, who is laid-up in the hospital, in traction, after a fight with Ravage. This particular story is pure setup, with a group coming in who want Spike to head field operations for Skywatch. There are flashbacks to his encounter with Ravage, who he apparently finishes off. I get the feeling that Skywatch is being set up to resemble NEST from ROTF, a group that searches the world for hidden Transformers and views them as a threat to be eliminated. Having missed most of AHM up to issue #14, I wasn't aware that Spike was in the military until I read the preview for this issue. That's what I get for coming in at the end of the story.

The Bumblebee story is the better of the two. BB is alone, damaged, and being hunted by the military. Or rather, the military are hunting for any Transformers in order to finish them off, and BB is in the area they're searching. The story works well, given that Bumblebee has always been one of the smaller, weaker Transformers, and so he's convincing as a potential victim of the soldiers. He radios for help with no success, and ultimately intervenes in a dangerous situation when it becomes apparent that some people are trapped in a building that's collapsing. He tries to hold it up while they escape. The military take advantage of the situation to try and kill him, either unaware or not caring that he's trying to save lives. Ultimately Optimus Prime and several other Autobots intervene, rescue and repair Bumblebee.

The story has a couple of nice touches. The two soldiers discussing the difference between the two sides by what type of vehicle disguise they adopt is a good illustration that not all humans see the Transformers as a single homogenous threat. Ratchet has a fun exchange with Bumblebee to the effect of "Prime knew we'd find you because you couldn't stay hidden. Sooner or later, you'd try to save someone."

I like it. The Spike story, as I said, is setup for future plotlines (I assume) and doesn't cover a lot of ground other than adding a bit to Spike's character and giving him a job for the ongoing series. The Bumblebee story offers a bit more, and says some good things about BB's character.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Go for it!

4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I rather liked the Bumblebee story, even if it didn't really add anything to anything (like the two issues of "Tales of the Fallen" so far). Spike's story, I appreciated the setup, but geez... I'm getting rather tired of the "OMG HE'S SUCH A COOL HOT DUDE AND GETS ALL THE CHICKS" thing they have going for him. The one panel of him with all those nurses around him made me facepalm.

I like it much better when that's what the guy tries to BE, but falls short for various reasons. *goes back to reading Deadpool #900*

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I picked this up last week but finally got around to reading it.

I really hope IDW keeps one timeline when the new series starts because all of these jumps in time are a little confusing.
    The last time I saw Spike he was alive and healthy so it was weird to see him in a hospital bed.

But then I saw what happened and it made sense.
    Spike is the "finest soldier alive" or whatever my behind!
    He didn't listen to Josh!
    Josh told him not to go in the building alone.
    Josh told him to call for air support.
    He didn't listen to Josh and look what happened.

I did like it that the troops were using the "Shockwave" guns.

Actually, I really liked that part.
    I'm pretty sure the brunette was Mikaela and the blonde was Carly, but who was the short-haired nurse supposed to be?

6. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:

xD!

good eye ;) 

as far as the nurses? dont think we had any people in mind was just.... random hawt ladies :p 

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I would have liked to have seen a longer fight with Ravage.