AHM #13 - spoilers

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by UltraMagnus3786, Jul 22, 2009.

1. libeskind

libeskind Well-Known Member

I believe Blitzwing was nudging Reflector to nod in tribute. As in, morale was low so the gesture was shown to hint at dissent in the ranks.

2. libeskind

libeskind Well-Known Member

Double post.

3. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Ironhide - This particular story reminds us that Ironhide's been around a long time, and seen some ugly things. And at the beginning of the story it's finally gotten to be too much, thanks to his beatdown of Mirage. He and Optimus Prime sit down, have a drink or three and discuss their friendship from where it started to where it is now. That's a nice angle for the writer to take, because Optimus Prime doesn't have that many friends. He's in charge, and by necessity has to be somewhat distant from those under his command. Ironhide's one of the exceptions, and it's good to see that demonstrated, both via the conversation between the two and via flashback.

I've been a fan of Don Figeroa's art for several years now, and despite a poor first impression of his new style a few months ago when I first saw the art preview from the ongoing series, I find here that I like the new art quite a bit more than I thought I would. Don's art has always been detailed and expressive, and that trend continues here. The Transformers' eyes resemble the movie designs, but a lot of the new art is just altered facial styles and added layers of detail. It works for me.

Starscream - I've always had a disagreement with Starscream's portrayal as an incompetent coward. It doesn't match his original bio, and it doesn't make sense that he'd rise to be Megatron's lieutenant if he wasn't capable of doing the job. I think the "whiny coward" is a relic of the old cartoon, and one that needs to be disposed of. This issue does a good job of portraying Starscream as ambitious and egotistical, but not so much that it overwhelms his good sense. He knows that even with Megatron out of the way that his position isn't assured. Razorclaw is sure to challenge him, and there's always the possibility that Megatron will recover as well. When Shrapnel offers to finish him off, Starscream is unwilling to do that because he knows those loyal to Megatron will take revenge.

And then there's the Matrix, something Decepticons apparently can't use, and which Starscream sees no value in having, since it sits there and looks pretty and nothing else. But he's quick to figure out that the reputation may be enough to solidify his hold on the leadership based on Shrapnel's reaction. In the end, his body language suggests that he knows he's stepped in it, and that his lie is bound to come back and haunt him. I'd like to see some follow-up to this. I'd enjoy reading a plot where Starscream finally got what he always wanted and found that he hated it.

I didn't care for this artistic style as much. It got the job done and illustrated the story, but it's just not to my liking.

Overall, the second best issue of the "coda" issues.