AHM #12 Spoilers within!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by teruo kaiba, Jun 24, 2009.

1. teruo kaiba

teruo kaiba Made In Japan

Didn't see a thread for this yet.

What I liked:
    1. THUNDERCRACKER!! Sure he falls into the cliched "I'm a baddy, BUT with honor" but atleast he finally does something to back it up instead of standing around looking all gloomy while the rest of the cons are blowing stuff up. Plus at the end when he's confronted by Skywarp. Nice interaction and really shows that Skywarp is just a thug.

2. Starscream showing that he actually took Megatron's words in the previous issue to heart when he steps in to rescue Megatron.

3. Spike's shot didn't actually kill Megatron, but it seemingly blinded him and allowed Prime to get his shots in.

4. Kup walking out of the water on an unsuspecting Dropshot? I think that's his name.

5. Drift getting his hand slapped away by Thundercracker. I haven't hated the Drift character as others have, but even I found that amusing.

6. The ending was handled nicely. Between Optimus and Spike's convo and the last page with Sideswipe and Hunter.

What I didn't like:
    1. We get it...your name's OMEGA SUPREME....

2. Probably others, just can't think of it at the moment.

2. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, just read over lunch and the series ended on an upswing. Thundercracker vs. Skywarp was nice. Still, this should have been the last of six issues, not 12.

And I hope Omega's got a good lawyer, Bloomberg is going to sue his ass for the Statue of Liberty. :lol 

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  3. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

spoilers indeed. holy moly what an issue. hands down the best of all 12.

i liked the grimmer artwork from the earlier issues. i think the shift came after megatron's fight against devastator or around when the autobots arrived on earth. or maybe i'm seeing things.

-it's a bit of a shame that even after he was worn down by devastator, megs was still able to take down prime. this prime could learn a thing or two from RoTF prime
    -i was a little annoyed at the 'i am omega' line again too
    -starscream and thundercracker stepping up, pretty legit - skywarp taking out his bro, that was a surprise
    -sideswipe ending the hunter/streaker plotline-- heartbreaking. but, IT NEVER ENDS, DOES IT?

4. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I LOVED it from start to finish. Wow, just wow! This is what I want from TFs, not what RotF ended up being. Sideswipe's pain, Kup the badaft, Op slugging Megs with his own fusion cannon - classic!, "honorable" Starscream - such a neat twist, Hunter - sniff, and my favorite Con ever, TC, SAVES THE HUMAN RACE, only to die and become of victim of the same thing he accused Drift of by Skywarp. Never have I seen TC better used to his full potential like that. I don't care what anyone says, I love AHM! Rarely have I anticipated a comic story more and can't wait for all the character coda pieces that come next, as well as whatever the next story arc is, I'm full of anticipation for what happens now.

The Omega Supreme thing was overkill though, on that I agree. How dare he do that to the Statue of Liberty too! ;-)

5. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Okay, synopsis made it seem bleugh, but I'll try to find an issue to leap through, to see if the writing was actually any good...

*Boring, cartoon style fight, with plenty of long-winded quips, and everyone forgetting that guns exist*

Megatron: Time to die, Optimus!

Optimus: I'm a good guy because I came back to save the day! You're a bad guy because you kill people!

Megatron:...What?

Badass/GI Joe Guy: Magic wand... FIRE!!!

Megatron: Ow.

Optimus: Now see how much of a good guy I am when I mercilessly beat you to death with you're own pen-... uh... gun.

Starscream: You can't kill Megatwon. Megatwon said I could be leader.

Optimus: What?

Starscream: BYE!

*Everyone sees nuclear bomb*

Optimus: And that took 6 months to get here? Oh shit. We're screwed.

Thundercracker: I'll save the day!

DRIFT-SAN!!!: You wanna be an Autobot?!

Thundercracker: Go die in a hole. You are fan-fiction gone wrong. I am fan-fiction gone right.

Everyone: Why are you doing this?!

Thundercracker: Because nothing we've done this entire f**kin' year has been the Decepticon cause! Megatron was just talking a load of goddamn bullshit! Why the hell have we been killing bloody humans? Huh? HUH?!?! What the hell was the point in all this?! Could somebody please for the love of Primacron TELL ME WHY?!?!

*Does the heroic stuff*

Thundercracker: Oh, thank the Source it's finally over.

Skywarp: Your three scenes of character development over the course of an entire year have come full circle!

Ka-blam!

Optimus: Hey Mr Army Man, wanna be friends?

Army Man: We hate all of you now. (Speculation) From now one, you'll be forced into transforming and hiding amongst the population, emerging only to save the day from the Decepticons, behind the vale of secrecy. Exactly where we were at 4 years ago. Or this will become a boring space opera, like Season 3, where transforming is superfluous to anything. (END Speculation)

Sideswipe: COMA PATIENTS MUST DIE!

G'night.

6. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I found it ironic that while Hunter, when he found Sunstreaker's head, opted to try and save him despite all of the odds, found himself in much the same place as Sunstreaker in the end. Only to have Sideswipe disconnect him rather than try and save him as Hunter did Sunstreaker.

It was a very powerful ending given Spike's response to Prime. It's too bad that Hunter couldn't be saved as he was the last character in the whole IDW universe left that could truly see both sides equally.

7. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    ...They killed off Hunter? Yeah, **** the writer.

8. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

So Thundercraker and Hunter both die? Fuck it....

9. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

aww c'mon. war has consequences and it's good we finally get to see that, not just the death of random characters, but ones we have a connection to. i applaud shane for taking the series there-- i appreciate the darker undertones and look forward to coda.

10. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Killed Hunter hunh?

:/

11. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Good issue, solid series.
    Prime seemed a little underpowered, I wish he could have been more of a challenge to Megatron. But, the 'cons are gone.

I wonder if the 'bots help rebuild Manhattan and make Metroplex as a result.

12. Foster

News Credits:
    Poor Sideswipe, I think he did feel bad for Hunter and unplugged him in mercy. I hope Bombshell sticks around he's a real sadist in AHM. Worse then Tarantulas!

13. teruo kaiba

teruo kaiba Made In Japan

I've really enjoyed how Bombshell has been characterized in this series. I got the same notion when Sideswipe pressed the off switch to the head...err Hunter.

I felt the same way about Prime. Which to me is a weak point in this issue. Megatron battled Devy and the Insecticons, yet he was still able to beat Prime. Which means that Devy didn't really hurt Megatron all that much, or Prime might not have been 100% either at the start of the fight. However I do suppose it lends more to the title, All Hail Megatron, that he should win in a one on one fight.

14. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The final page actually made me rage. D:

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah.... poor Hunter. That was harsh. I agree that this was the best issue of AHM, though that's rather damning it with faint praise. Kup coming up behind Dropshot and the subsequent panel of him and the general chatting on the Decepticons' carcass was hilarious. "What's a cigar?"
    I look forward to the filling in of all the gaps in the coda and seeing what's coming next. They said a different direction was coming at Botcon, so hopefully I'll like it more than AHM.

Though man, the Autobots should record Omega's voice and play it whenever they're having trouble. Apparently saying "I am OMEGA SUPREME!" lets you do anything. I also find it hilarious Prime told Omega to get out of the city because he was destroying it, so Omega flies Devastator to the nearest landmark and then SHOOTS A BIG HOLE IN IT.

And Octane is officially renamed Tankor now. Interesting.

I also have to say... I thought the whole scene with Skywarp and Thundercracker seemed pointless. How the slag did Thundercracker detonate the bomb without getting caught in the ungodly large explosion? And then he does all that and Skywarp just randomly warps and kills him anyway. Would've been simpler and a better way to go out if Thundercracker had just died in the explosion.

16. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

I agree that this was probably the best issue of the lot. No pointless meandering, alot tighter than most of the series has been. Also leaves us with an interesting status quo, thoguh it remains to be seen where IDW will go from here.

One major point of contention though is the callous disposal of Hunter O'Nion. Unlike some, I enjoyed the slow build up of the Infiltration Arc, as a good introduction arc to the new IDWverse as well as making me attached to the new Human cast. Hunter's progression was especially interesting. From a guy dedicating his life to finding out about alien robots from outer space, to actually being made into a being who is literally of both worlds, he would have offered a unique perspective on Transformers-Human relations, and could have played a pivotal role in the new status quo with the rift between the two species. What a waste of a potentially useful character.

Part of me hopes that his character gets "Ressurected", even if it is through tired ol' comic book cliches. For instance, Replicant technology is still out there in the IDWverse, who's to say some interested third party like Shockwave or Bombshell did not make away with him earlier, leaving a replicant to die in his place?

17. Foster

News Credits:
    AHM #14 has "Sunstreaker" as one of it's 2-part features. We may get a flashback, an epilogue or possibly a ressurection of SS or Hunter. The binary bond allowed Prime to come back in the old Marvel days thanks to Hi-Q. So who knows? I agree, there's good storytelling potential there.

18. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

I don't see Sideswipe's actions as callous, largely because humans are not meant to be machines. I think that's what the scene was really aiming to illustrate. People in real life face that same decision every day, and there comes a point when many feel it's better to preserve the dignity of life. It's clear that when Sideswipe found Hunter, he was entirely machine. The decision to end his life showed a respect for the inherent differences between man and machine.

19. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Actually I meant the writer's choice to kill him off was somewhat callous, not so much Sideswipe's actions.

20. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As I stated on the first page of this thread, the irony in Hunter's death is that when he discovered Sunstreaker in the same situation, hunter tried to save him. Sideswipe decided to let Hunter go.

One has to wonder if he let him go because of how far gone Hunter was, or how it was Sunstreaker's desire to see all the humans die for what was done to him. (tho it could be argued that it was Scorponok who really did it to him.)