Age VS Collecting Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hyperoptic, Aug 21, 2010.

?

As a collector, what age group do you belong to?

1. 10 years old or less

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  2. 11-15 years old

9 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. 16-20 years old

30 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. 21-25 years old

43 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. 26-30 years old

65 vote(s)
    24.6%
  6. 31-35 years old

89 vote(s)
    33.7%
  7. 36-40 years old

23 vote(s)
    8.7%
  8. 41 years old or more

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I thought it might be interesting to have a thread discussing how you feel about age VS Transformers collecting...

-Do you see yourself getting out of collecting at a certain age?

-Do you see an age limit to collecting in general?

-Do you think certain tensions within the fandom might be caused by age differences?

-Please add any additional thoughts about this subject and discuss...

(I also added a pole to anonymously survey the age of tfw's collector community.)

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I've been collecting since I was 9, I'm 26 now... I think I'm in this for life.

Tensions are certainly caused by age difference. I know I cringe at the thought of YOUNEEPRAWN TRILLOGEE fanboys of the futures.

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I never intend to stop collecting it is my passion and while I may never get all the ones i desire i will not give up trying.

4. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Well, as a brand new fan, I've begun collecting at 21...so I feel I'm 21. Even if people look at me like I'm 12. And even if I lose interest in Transformers as a fandom, I'll probably still pick up toys that appeal to me, so I don't ever foresee myself stopping.

As for the age thing...it's possible that more G1 fans are in their later years whilst more Bayformers fans are in their earlier years, and this can cause a bit of a kerfuffle now and again. That being said, I'm more of a G1 fan than a Bayformers fan...but I still find Bayformers acceptable...so I'm a bit useless, really. :confused: 

5. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I think I might get out of it in my 60s.. It would coincide with my retirement, and Transformers' 50th anniversary; that would probably be a good time to sell.
    But you never know, I might want to spend my time collecting durring my retirement :lol 

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  6. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

As of right now, no. Then again, I was collecting baseball and football cards throughout high school and into college and didn't anticipate getting out of that either. I guess it all depends where my life goes in the future, both short and long-term. Significant others, kids, finances, and changing interests could come into play.

I can say that I will probably be very stubborn in NOT selling any piece of my collection, even if I do stop collecting sometime in the future. In a relatively short time (two years) I've accumulated over 700 individual figures. I wouldn't give things away to charity (not because I'm a cheap bastard, but if I ever felt like getting rid of them it'd probably be because I NEED the money I could get from selling them compared to anything else), and the thought of packaging all these things up and selling them, be it individually or in lots, is too tedious and irritating to contemplate.

No. I could see myself doing this well into middle age and beyond.

-Do you think certain tensions within the fandom might be caused by age differences?

I'm not sure...I suppose it could come into play when it comes to how you express yourself, but that's not necessarily exclusive to age. I think the bigger thing with tensions, personally, is how deeply engrained some people's personal philosophies toward, and interpretations of, this franchise are.

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

No. I see myself as collecting TFs from here on up to when I get to be an old lady in poor health.

Nope. People of all ages collect various things, so there's no limit as to how old you are to collect things.

Yep. There's always going to be tensions between the younger fans and the older fans. Not much can be done about it.

8. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    -Do you see yourself getting out of collecting at a certain age? No, But I possibly see myself being more selective. My Dad collected Lionel Trains til the day he died. If toys were good enough for him, they are good enough for me.

-Do you see an age limit to collecting in general? No, Old people scavenge yard sales and swap meets more than us man children hunt toys.

-Do you think certain tensions within the fandom might be caused by age differences? No, age is irrelevant. It's all a matter of what you like and that is cause by our individualities in general. I'm 33 and I like Beast Wars and PCC's. Another dude could be 33 and hate those things.

-Please add any additional thoughts about this subject and discuss... People always have something that is their shit. I have no interest in burying my head under the hood of a '71 impala or go out for an 10 point buck to hang above my fireplace. Transformers are my shit. I spent alot of time in different hobbies that I have spent a year on then moved on. Transformers are fun to collect and fun to play with and photograph. Plus it's kind of fun to be the "old guard" age wise in the hobby.

9. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I don't see my age causing this problem, because I'm not old enough where I can convince someone I'm buying these for my kid nor am I young enough to make that sound believable ;) . I think my biggest hurdle will be the size of my collection. I'll probably just keep accumulating until I look at my shelves, suffer a mental breakdown as I calculate just how much money I have spent on plastic, then abandon collecting ^_^

Again, not really. I think this is something anyone can get into and stay in for however long they want. We're not yet at the age where 50-60-somethings are looking for new Transformers waves at their local TRUs yet, so maybe we'll see a kind of a cut-off in ten-twenty years?

If you're a dick on the Internet, you're a dick on the Internet. I'm fairly certain age has nothing to do with it. As Lbsammills said though, perhaps the older/longer you've been in the fandom, the less accepting you are of any major changes to the franchise (i.e. the jump from pre-TF1 to post-TF1).

10. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    -Do you see yourself getting out of collecting at a certain age? Probably not, I only get what I really like these days since my factions hardly get any new figures.

-Do you see an age limit to collecting in general? Only when the joy is gone for that person.

-Do you think certain tensions within the fandom might be caused by age differences? Yep, the G1 generation and Beast Era generation comes to mind. I'm sure the A/E/C generation will have their own voice too in the next few years. Each generation will always think their stuff is the best and the normal view on the next generation stuff is junk. (Music, TV shows, etc)

11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, i've always said 30 is the magic number for me to stop pursuing Transformers. That doesn't mean I won't buy them anymore, but it won't be the same volume I do now.

Not really, if it makes you happy, Keep on doing it. That is the magic question, once it becomes annoying/hard/takes up to much space, its time to reevaluate what your doing.

The forums haven't changed in my opinion. During the early 2000's, everyone thought I was an asshole for complaining about G1's status at that time. Keep in mind, no reissues, BM just ended and RID just started. Not that I hated RID but it just wasn't G1 to me... G1 at the time was my favorite line hands down.

As for the tensions... its always going to be there. The older guys will hate everything new.... young guys will complain about them... its the way Internet Message boards run:lol 

12. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    -Do you see yourself getting out of collecting at a certain age? Nothing age specific, but I'm sure I'll reach the end of the road someday. Death will take me if nothing else. I'm either going through one of my selective phases or I'm starting to see the right-hand wall of my collecting...not sure yet.

-Do you see an age limit to collecting in general? Not at all.

-Do you think certain tensions within the fandom might be caused by age differences? Only the tensions that arise from different age groups meeting on a level-playing field. The children of today have a different cultural background than some of us older fogies did. What they take for granted might be hard for us to swallow and vice versa.

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Not sure. As long as I enjoy it and can afford to get them I'll probably stick with it.

Nope.

I'm sure there could be some. I don't have a problem with it though...let 'em like what they like and dislike what they dislike, hopefully they'll give me the same courtesy.

14. 643cade

643cade Well-Known Member

-Do you see yourself getting out of collecting at a certain age? Probably not. However, I can see myself going through collecting phases in which I don't collect anything for awhile due to financial circumstances, etc. I just started collecting again after a very long hiatus, and depending on life in the future, I may have to go on another collecting hiatus. Eh, it just really depends. But I won't sell the ones that I have already collected.

-Do you see an age limit to collecting in general? Nope.

-Do you think certain tensions within the fandom might be caused by age differences? Perhaps. The fandom is essentially a social group, and tensions between age cohorts in any social group is typical human behavior. In a very broad and general sense, the older people tend to like the old things that came out first, the young kids are vying for the new stuff and inevitably both age groups start bickering about which is better. The 1950s and Elvis really is the best example of that whole issue. Anyway, in the TF fandom, I don't think age differences cause the tension, but I do think it can contribute at least somewhat. Whether it's a huge contribution or not, I don't really know. I'm 22 and I love both G1 and Bayverse, and I don't really care about the squabbles about either. Eh.

And really, people like different things, and some people, no matter the age or what part of the fandom they fall under, cannot accept that other people don't think like they do, don't like what they do and so they get all pissy. Nothing you can do about it really, some people are just asshats in general.

15. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I could see myself slowing down at some point. Maybe limit what I acquire to more high end type collector stuff that I'd get only once and awhile.

Not really. there are all kinds of people of all ages that collect things. Toys being only one of them.

Maybe. Though more often then not it seems to me to be more about generational differences. I suppose one could say it's more about the mental age then it is physical age.

16. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Man, I am at the end of the 31- to 35 limit with being 35yrs how I feel old wow.

17. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    :lol 

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    not yet

nope, i know there are some on the boards in their 50s

yes, they are easy to spot most of the time when people are fighting over things that are relative to age

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    once i complete g1 i am outta here. see ya on the flipside!

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice curve on the results graph so far.