Minor/Repaint: Age of Extinction Slug

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Zigholtul, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Paints Used:
    - Argent Silver Acrylic
    - Black Gloss Acrylic
    - Dark Purple Metallic (mix of red gloss, small amount of blue gloss, and argent silver)
    - Gold Metallic Acrylic
    - Red Gloss Acrylic

Next on the agenda is another grand addition to the Dinobot line up known as Slug since apparently the name Slag isn't too pc nowadays. Ironic given the somewhat immature humor splattered throughout the films that name would not have been out of place. What, we already had one robot named after a genre of music and then he gets killed off in the first movie. Curse you Michael Bay. That's a story for another day, now onto this figure. I already came to the conclusion that the stock colors were not too out of place given that the same approach was applied to the Autobots and no one got upset, well almost given this fandom. However the colors could have been done better so as to not look cheap but then again these are toys marketed towards children and now of a sudden adult collectors. Which probably explains how Generations and Masterpiece always sell out almost everywhere you go. Luckily I had enough metallic purple paint to really give this figure a nice shine.

Not the most complex figure I've painted in all of the movie lines but sometimes that's not a bad thing. I'm actually one of the few people that isn't complaining that the newer movie figures since Dark of the Moon have become more simplified. Honestly I rather enjoy it and it reminded me of the days of Beast Wars. You wanted something simple? Then look no further than the wave 1 basics which practically invented the automorph gimmick later seen again in the first live action movie toyline yet also sporting some pretty decent articulation for the time. Also Dark of the Moon helped make the 5mm system a standard. Having so many figures that could interchange weaponry added a ton of fun to the mix and it made collecting so much fun again.

This new toyline has certainly taken me by surprise. The Dinobots are must haves and even some of the voyager class figures like Evasion Optimus and Hound are worth owning. Hopefully this line won't prove much of a disaster like the last movie line and who knows we might even get some sublines. Just imagine a set of movie Dinobots done up in G2 color schemes.

Beast Mode:
    [​IMG]AOE Slug 01 by zigholtul88, on Flickr
    [​IMG]AOE Slug 02 by zigholtul88, on Flickr

Robot Mode:
    [​IMG]AOE Slug 03 by zigholtul88, on Flickr
    [​IMG]AOE Slug 04 by zigholtul88, on Flickr
    [​IMG]AOE Slug 05 by zigholtul88, on Flickr
    [​IMG]AOE Slug 06 by zigholtul88, on Flickr

Attached Files:

2. Wheeljackie

Wheeljackie He will set us free

Beautiful work i really enjoy the stock colors on the figure and i like the fact you just added a little more detail Purple Triceratops for life!

3. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

That looks really neat. Good mix of the toy colors and realism.

4. Zigholtul

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mate you're one of the reasons why I started painting in the first place. This craft has certainly been quite a rewarding experience.

Yeah I wanted to prove that the colors could work in a live action setting. Hey it worked for the Autobots and at least it isn't another G1 repaint, which I'm not against but still it seems to be the popular look going around at the moment. Would be nice if the Dinobots were given a G2 color scheme, which will eventually happen.

5. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

That means a lot to me! Thank you. You quickly became one heck of a good figure customizer too.
    Yep G1 is always the most obvious possible route to take in a repaint, and with good reason since it looks nice and much better than the bright colors these dinobot toys are. Yet you managed to make the toy colors look very good!

6. Zigholtul

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I do try my best on these figures. While I won't ever approach the skills of say FrenzyRumble I'm perfectly content with where I'm at right now. Besides I'm not very good at kitbashing. The most I could muster is maybe adding some addition articulation to a figure, which happened on my 2007 Blackout custom from long ago.

7. pumpkingonzo

pumpkingonzo Stunticon lover!

Ebay:
    Great work!
    Looks brilliant.

8. hellbred

hellbred Well-Known Member

your paint work is awesome

9. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Still not really sure about the purple. But if you go with it, this is a brilliant way to do it. That's really nice!

10. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    nice job