Age of Extinction is the Best Film of the Series

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Galvatross, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

After Dark of the Moon was such a financial success, Paramount wanted to make more Transformers movies, because money. Completely understandable. Hasbro wanted the film to largely feature new robots to sell new toys. Also to make money. Every film before it was made to make money.

The thing is no human characters from the first trilogy were returning, and many robots from the first three films were dead. What was the movie series to do, creatively speaking? The film could have had more random Decepticons coming to Earth, or NEST and the Autobots hunting the remaining Decepticons left after DotM, or Unicron and his heralds coming to Earth and perhaps resurrecting Decepticons as his servants. Instead, it opted for none of those, which I think was the right call.

When the film came out, many critics hated it. Even many fans of the previous movies find the fourth film something to dislike. However, I think all of that apprehension and anger was misplaced. Not only was it not bad for a live action Transformers, it was actually better than what came before it and a damn fine addition to the library of Transformers action. Realistically speaking, it was as good of a film as a fourth Michael Bay Transformers film would be, so let's look at why Age of Extinction is in my opinion easily the best of the Transformers movies and an extremely underrated summer action flick.

1. It makes the previous films more meaningful.

The film's plot is largely the result of the events of Dark of the Moon. There are actual consequences to the Battle of Chicago and the actions of the Decepticons and Sentinel. Humans no longer trust either faction, and Cemetery Wind allies itself with a neutral Cybertronian bounty hunter who thinks both factions and their wars have been harmful to the universe. Humans also make their own Transformers that they think they control to battle any potential Cybertronian threats, and the decapitated leader of the Decepticons uses the entire situation to his advantage. The death of Ratchet, an underused but stable component of the first three films, is very well done and has a noticeable effect on some of the surviving characters. This is a post-DotM universe that makes sense and gives the series more backbone.

2. Its subplots are narratively and thematically connected.

The Lockdown/Creator/Cemetery Wind subplot is not completely separate from the Galvatron/KSI subplot. On the contrary, the former merely leads into the other and builds from the events of Chicago. They are not two separate stories strewn randomly in the same movie, which would have been a bad thing, but part of the same narrative.

Furthermore, one of the themes of Age of Extinction is this: attempts at absolute control fail absolutely, and this connects to many threads of the movie.

The Creators made robots that they built to control as slaves, but that didn't work, as they became sentient and eventually got into their wars and what not. They send Lockdown in the present to hunt down the warring factions and capture Optimus Prime. While Lockdown killed Autobots and temporarily captured Prime, ultimately Prime gets freed, and Prime slays the bounty hunter.

Humans also no longer trust Autobots, and they try to rid the world of them and build their own Transformers in an attempt at absolute control. They fail to destroy all of the Autobots, even with help from Lockdown, and they don't actually control Galvatron, or their other prototypes by the climax of the film. Galvatron ends up controlling the KSI robots.

And even Megatron, who manipulates the humans to create their own Transformers and go after the Seed, ends up controlling the KSI prototypes, and he almost succeeds in detonating the Seed, but he fails to account that Optimus will unleash four gigantic Cybertronian warriors on his troops.

Finally, Cade wants to protect his daughter, and he tries to control her life, but as the events of the film goes on he realizes he can't, and by realizing that he can't control her life he succeeds in protecting her.

The Creators, Lockdown, Cemetery Wind, KSI, Galvatron, and Cade all fail in their attempts at absolute control. Only the latter realizes he can't, and as a result he succeeds in the end. Finally, the Autobots, are the only main group of characters that don't attempt absolute control, and they are also the heroes of the film.

3. The protagonists are connected to the film's other message.

There is a scene with Optimus and Cade where the former laments how many Cybertronians have died on Earth due to human mistakes, and Cade's response is that one needs to look at all the junk and see the treasure. I find it mercifully appropriate for the film's characters.

On the surface, the Autobots and Cade are not poster-boy protagonists. Prime discusses killing a human and threatens to leave Earth to his fate. The Autobots are tired of getting hunted by Lockdown and humans, they don't always get along with each other, and Hound openly talks about how he thinks humans are a, "Bunch of backstabbing weasels," and that not killing them is a mistake. Drift doesn't think much of Bee's leadership and has instances of hypocritical humor, and Crosshairs is so self-interested that he threatens to abandon Prime and Tessa on Lockdown's ship and gloats about he wouldn't mind seeing the others harm each other, so he can become his own leader. Bee has a fragile ego and goes ballistic when he finds out about Stinger. Cade steals power from his neighbor and insults plenty of people.

However, all of these rough-around-the-edges protagonists have good things about them. Prime is still at his core the wise and compassionate leader he has always been, and that he is tested as a character makes him more noble. Cade legitimately cares for his daughter, and he shows great compassion to Prime. He saw a hurt being who needed help, and he risked his life and future to help him. Hound and Drift both respect their leader greatly and express great joy when they learn he's alive. Hound, through his interactions with the Yaegers, comes to see not all humans are bad. Drift is always helpful to inform the Yaegers and helps rescue Cade with Bee. Crosshairs may be selfish, but he can help others out of his free will, like when he picks up Bee and the Yaegers, and he's able to change his minds on the Dinobots once he sees how they are effective allies. The Autobots still save Earth in the end against numerous foes despite how they have been treated, and that makes them heroic in my book.

To those audience members who are idealistic or who want a less violent portrayal of the Autobots, these protagonists may appear to be more like bad guys to some. However, this goes in right with what Cade tells Optimus. Cade and the Autobots may appear to be "junk" on the surface, but on the inside they are treasure and decent, but flawed, individuals, and that is why they are my favorite group of protagonists in the movies.

4. It took creative risks.

Brand new designs for the most part. A largely new robot cast and an entirely new human cast. Optimus losing his faith in humanity and considering leaving Earth to its fate. An Animated bounty hunter being the main villain. Autobots being largely misanthropic. Galvatron's origins and Transformium. No "traditional" Decepticons. An alien ship filled with alien oddities.

They could have gone the easy routes that I mentioned in my second paragraph of this post. Instead, they did not take the success of the previous films for granted. It was about as close to the first trilogy as it needed to be, but it also did enough novel things to keep things interesting.

5. It's self aware.

This film knows what it is trying to be. Lines like Crosshairs', "Textbook machismo, very persuasive," show that yes, these films often revel in masculine and manly things. Furthermore, the old man in Texas complaining about sequels and remakes shows that, yes, they are well aware this is the fourth film and how it seems everything is a sequel trying to make some more money.

6. It gave many fans what they wanted.

There is very little in the way of military presence. It gives more attention to the Autobots and more to their characters than the Bots in the previous films got for the most part. It has a competent and fascinating main villain who is actually a little more nuanced than typical in Bay movies. The action is clearer than its predecessors. It has Dinobots that actually don't die and aren't jokes or the subjects of juvenile humor; they actually perform their role as the cavalry quite well. It got rid of those insectoid, metal shard Decepticons so many people complained about (even though now people seem to like those more). Galvatron is a Megatron that doesn't die who can go toe-to-toe with Optimus, who is voiced by Welker, and who is subservient to nobody. Instead, he merely pretends to be a drone, but he is actually the one pulling the strings to get what he wants. That is the very definition of Decepticon, and it shows the resilience and manipulative nature of the Decepticon leader.

Most, if not all, of these things were things hardcore Transformers fan were clamoring for after the first trilogy. That's not to say a fan-desired Transformers film means "good," but it does mean that this movie was made with the fan criticisms of the previous movies in mind, and even if one does not like the end product, I think fans should at least be happy that they had many of you in mind.

7. It expanded the scope of the fictional universe.

The other four films pretty much only featured Earth and Cybertron. Revenge of the Fallen said that the Primes searched for distant stars to harvest, and we briefly see the Nemesis anchored on a world that is neither, but even RotF never really explored this too much.

In the first scene of Age of Extinction we see alien ships coming to Earth, which on first impression might seem like another "Earth is the center of everything" thread, but it was the opposite. Earth is revealed to have been one of thousands of worlds the Creators cyberformed to make Transformium. Lockdown holds the view that the Autobots and Decepticons are making a mess of the universe, and he consequently sees it as his duty to hunt them down. His cynical nature also means that he doesn't think much of the species he encounters, and he has literally traveled to different galaxies. We see aliens that are clearly not Cybertronians on his ship. Transformers should take place in a larger universe and not just in a universe where Earth and Cybertron are the only planets that matter.

Neutral Transformers. Human-made Transformers. Dinobots. Dinosaurs. Creators. Cyborg wolves. These are all things that make the fictional universe a little bigger than just the Autobot-Decepticon war and humans.

8. It did many of the little things right.

For the only time in the movies, the mcguffin is not something only found in Earth or Earth's orbit. It's a weapon that the Creators used on thousands of worlds millions of years ago, and Lockdown gives the humans one in exchange for capturing Prime.

It also doesn't have disappearing robots like most all of the other films. Robots do not disappear for most of the film once they are introduced unless they die (Ratchet, Leadfoot) or have a reason to leave (Brains enjoying his freedom), and there is no robot who appears in this film whose fate is ambiguous. And for once, the robots from previous films who don't appear have a genuine explanation as to why they don't show up in this one: Lockdown and Cemetery Wind hunted them down.

Speaking of Lockdown, I find it refreshing that for once the main villain isn't a powerful, genocidal Decepticon and/or an ancient, evil Prime. He isn't even out to destroy humanity, although he could care less about human casualties based on his actions and words.

And the Psittacosaurus sibiricus in the film's introduction is heavily based on Psittacosaurus fossils of a different species from Liaoning, China that show the bristles on the proximal part of its tail. Plus, the little dinosaurs that squabble with the Psittacosaurus are heterodontosaurids heavily based on the most recent reconstructions. Once again, the integument is inspired by actual fossils of a heterodontosaurid called Tianyulong from China. To have dinosaurs more accurate in appearance than the featherless dinosaurs of the Jurassic World films in a Bay film is exciting.

9. Great cast.

Tucci, Grammar, Welliver, and Wahlberg are all great for the admittedly some times ridiculous roles they play. Tessa is underrated. Gill Wembley is a hilarious addition.

However, where this film really shines is the voice cast. The voice actors all do a fantastic job; the voice performances are more emotionally charged than those in the other movies for the most part. Cullen does one of the best performances of his career. Welker is great as Galvatron, who sounds like a more sinister and insane Prime Megatron. Ryan, Dimaggio, Watanabe, Foxworth, and Wilson all sell their characters well, too.

10. Optimus Prime. Riding Grimlock.

Admit it, that caught your attention when the first Super Bowl ad aired. It possibly caught your attention in rumors revealed over a year before the movie premiered.

I can understand if people don't like it, but I love it, and I've never understood the massive hatred this film gets from critics and many fans alike. And even if you don't like the finished film, I think that the fourth film actually tried new directions and concepts is something that should be respected, just like the 2007 film bringing Transformers to the live action movie format is something to be respected. And if you still don't like it as a whole, the fourth film still has its share of redeeming qualities that have been overlooked by many fans and critics alike.

Do you also like Age of Extinction as much or more than the other films? Even if you don't like it, do you agree it has some good qualities?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 26
  2. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Good points. As far as a live action Transformers film goes, I do love the first half of this one - with Optimus battered and on the run with new human friends. I feel after that, it turns into the same as the others.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Silvia

Silvia Well-Known Member

Wow finally found someone that likes AoE! The plot of the film in general was interesting, I liked how the movie started but it ended up being like the others. I remember that in Twitter I was the only one that liked Optimus new design jj

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  4. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 Museum Victories

News Credits:
    How did I telepathically know this was gonna be a Galvatross thread before clicking?

That aside, I didn't really enjoy Age of Extinction as much as anything from the first trilogy, but I can see the logic and reasoning of your points

• Like Like x 7
  5. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    I love AoE, but it could go through the editing process one more time.

• Like Like x 3
  6. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

great post. really extrapolates on aoe's uniqueness in the filmverse. when i went back & re watched these films last summer, i grew to appreciate how good aoe was...i think lockdown was the perfect curveball villain...the new autobots, who i hated at first, i grew to enjoy...one of the most underrated scenes in all of the filmverse:

0:07-0:22

• Like Like x 3
  7. Galvatross

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Probably because the forum shows who started the thread. :lol 

Seriously speaking, I kind of wonder if the fourth film and the first three are made for different kinds of people. Like the fourth film is made for people who may not have liked the first three. Very generally speaking, it seems Cade and Prime are more relatable to older people, and Sam and Bee are more relatable to younger people. I also think AoE appeals more to the people who like Season 3 and 4, the later G1 comics, etc., while people who prefer the Season 1 and 2 cast and stories are probably more likely to prefer the first three. Which is funny, because the first three are more based on pre-1986 characters and stories, while the last two are more based on Season 3 stories. In that way the movies and the source material are very close; the changes over time in the movies regarding story, character, tone, and scope are a lot like the original cartoon.

Additionally, I kind of wonder what the reaction would be if the order in the movies (or any Transformers continuity) had been switched. What if the first trilogy had been more sci fi and along the lines of alien bounty hunters, human-made Transformers, Galvatron, disenfranchised and misanthropic Autobots, Quintessons, Dinobots, and Hot Rod, and then the new movies featured a more 1984-1985 inspired cast and story with NEST and the Allspark and what not? Would the reaction to the changes have been similar? I suspect there would be similarities for sure, although that doesn't mean it would be identical. Of course, there would have to be some changes in specifics to fit the story-line, but it's an interesting idea for a "what if" scenario.

Heck, for once I would love there to be a continuity that starts in a more Season 3-type place and feel and cast, or preferably some place even weirder, and then go from there. But that is just a personal wish.

While I do think that is its weakest aspect, I think that's true of all of the films to the same degree more or less. They're all on the same level in that regard.

I'm glad you have grown to like it! There's really room for a wide variety of stories and characters in Transformers I feel, and there's something for everyone, which is one of my favorite things about the brand.

• Like Like x 2
  8. theswimmer06

theswimmer06 Well-Known Member

“Look through the junk and see the treasure” - Cade Yeager

Something that a few of us were able to do with AOE.....

• Like Like x 3
  9. theswimmer06

theswimmer06 Well-Known Member

10. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Can't argue that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

Ah, I love a good AoE circlejerk thread. *unironically likes OP*

• Like Like x 1
  12. Galvatross

Funny enough, that's actually a legitimately good line to live by, and one of the best lines in a big budget action film to live by.

I'm serious. There are so many bad things that go on in this world that we forget to look at the good qualities of other beings as well as forget to count our own blessings. It's a blessing to be alive, to breathe, to think, to take in the universe with smell and sight and hearing and touch and taste, to have shelter, to eat, to drink potable water, to have friends and family and acquaintances and even friendly rivals, to be warmed by the sun, to look up at the night sky, to huddle around a fire at night, to have the company of a dog or horse or some other furry beast while wandering the wild, to listen to the calls of birds and wild animals and insects, to have a pretty woman smile at you. We rush to judge so many things as being "bad" that we fail to see the good things that are everywhere. Our fellow fans, even the annoying ones, are still human beings that have some positive qualities about them in real life.

And I love that some robots in the film, like Optimus and Hound, through their interactions with Cade actually come to see that despite the actions of Cemetery Wind and KSI.

One fan's junk is another fan's treasure, and that's why I don't like needlessly ripping on anything Transformers. I can state criticisms, sure, but I'd rather find the treasure.

• Like Like x 4
  13. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I personally think that DotM was the best, and that they should have stopped there.

But they didn’t.

Since they went ahead with AoE, I think they should have broken it up into (2) movies: AoE Part 1 and AoE Part 2. By doing that they would have broken up an overly long movie that felt like 2 different movies anyway. Then they could have fleshed out the scripts more for a more coherent overall story.

• Like Like x 10
  14. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    I vastly prefer the "OT", mainly because it wraps itself up pretty well, (and it isn't AOE's fault for not doing the same, but TLK's rather) and there's just a "solid" feeling between all three installments (Consistently good and bad in certain ways, designs, etc). That said, great post and I personally think that AOE is the best movie of the five even all by itself (ironic considering one of your main points was that it adds consequence to the past films).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Galvatross

Regardless of what individual fans would have decided, they did decide to continue after the trilogy.

Which really wasn't a bad idea actually. One, the films exist to make money. Two, a reboot would almost certainly be the same core cast fighting each other on Earth all over again and another Autobots Arrival. Which is perfectly fine, but that's been done more often in the brand's history than what AoE did. A sequel to DotM was the best bet at featuring some other, more sparsely used characters and concepts in the movies.

I'll never understand why after the fourth film they did that either. We finally have Galvatron and hints for the Quints and the mentioning of Knights...and the first is ignored and unexplained, the second barely even mentioned, and the latter seemingly not consistent with what was previously known.

Yes, I get that it's implied Galvatron encountered Quintessa due to the red mark on his face and got his new body, but even that brings up a whole lot of problems. All of the other films had an explanation for what Megatron was doing.

And I get that Quintessa calls herself the Prime of Life and calls Prime her perfect creation, and to TLK's credit it does show her controlling him, but there's no further exploration of Transformer origins, and given that she's the "Great Deceiver" it's not certain she actually is a Creator. Neither is there any indication the Knights were captured by Lockdown (Maybe because Lockdown worked for the Great Deceiver? If Quintessa was indeed was the Creator that sent him there.) or that Prime was ever one of them.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

Finally someone else who thought that AoE is actually the best one. When I first watched it, I instantly think that finally critics gonna give TF movie a good review...but no :( 

• Like Like x 3
  17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I’m with bellpeppers: Dark of the Moon wrapped up everyone’s stories in (mostly) satisfactory manner and genuinely feels like the ending to a story.

Age of Extinction could have worked better than it did if it hadn’t gone for this soft reboot shit.

• Like Like x 1
  18. agent j 15

agent j 15 poopity-scoop

I'm slowly finding that this is starting to usurp DOTM as my favorite (although I still think the first one is the only one that's an objectively "good" movie). It just feels the most like a live action Transformers movie. Pretty much the only things I don't like are that the effects are kinda worse in this one - not even the KSIBots, all the robots just look softer and shittier, and good god that Romeo and Juliet clause scene is the most painfully unfunny cringiest thing ever. It's worse than Devastators balls, worse than Simmons ass, it's just god awful and creepy and weird and just not good and holy fuck I hate that scene so much.

• Like Like x 1
  19. electronic456

electronic456 Dog of Raw

News Credits:
    Upon seeing this....

Yeah, let's shove this in Cinemasins etc. face. I would really like to some day find out how they would respond to that.

• Like Like x 2
  20. DeletedUser_106023

DeletedUser_106023 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree that AOE is the best film in the series. It is one of my favorite films of all time, but some of these reasons seem like tick marks that it accomplished what they say in film school makes a good film, which is utter BS. Plus, whether AoE is the best film in the series is pretty subjective.
    Too bad you can't make an objectively good movie. Please get your head out of your snotty behind (no hard feelings) . What makes a good film is subjective; stop thinking only one way is the universal right way. You and your film buddies aren't God.

• Like Like x 1