Age of Apocalypse TPB

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by SubotaiBaghatur, Oct 15, 2005.

1. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I bought the first two TPB's for Age of Apocalypse this afternoon, and all I can say is ugh...

So many terrible filler stories, so much trash. I had fond memories of these stories, but what I am reading now just doesnt seem to match how great this seemed 10 years ago. THe characters are so one-dimensional, and Gambit has to be the worst character ever in AoA. I reached the point in the 2nd TPB that any of the stories with him it I just skipped. Time has not been kind to this series in my estimate. Now I am wondering if Onslaught was just as bad.

2. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    From what I've read? Yes. Yes, it was bad.

Cool crisis, bad execution. A friend had all the issus of Onslaught, and I was bored after just Phase I (I think it was?).

3. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

How much were the TPBs? I always wanted to read that series. Even if it might not be great.

4. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

i think looking at the back of one at borders one day it was 30 bucks?

5. Darkravager

30 bucks? Holy crap. Pass.

6. Frequency

Frequency Formerly Berserker Prime

The first paperback was a bit of a chore to get through, admittedly. It didn't really seem to have a rythm to it and some of the issues didnt' make sense being in it(the Blink mini-series should have been in the last paperback, though probably thrown in for the Exiles/AOA 10th anniversary). The second book is a lot cooler though, this is getting into the issues I read when I was younger, and there's actually a pattern to how the issues are laid out, I really enjoyed the second book.

You have to remember though, there's at least 2 more books worth of comics, so we're still very much in exposition territory. Most of the really cool stuff hasn't happened yet.

... and from what I understand, Onslaught itself was pretty good, but the resolution and aftermath were horrendous. Regardless, if they keep releasing paperbacks of everything from AoA to present I will get them all because I've recently become really interested in late 80's thru late 90's X-men comics.

and yes, the paperbacks are 30 each.

7. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Onslaught and pretty much everything after it was a total train wreck.

About the only good thing to come out of that pile up was Thunderbolts. Now there's a series that needs a complete TPB run, stat.

-XCN-

8. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Heh, this topic makes me glad I passed on the Apocalypse stuff and bought the Dark Phoenix Saga TPB instead. Although it is still disappointing because I had planned on getting around to AoA.

9. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Well thats one think the AOA had in common with the regular MU. :p 

Onslaught wasen't all that good when it was originally published, I doubt it reads as anything other then a overdone generic 90s yawnfest thesedays.

Its almost 400 pages, what did you expect it to cost?

10. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I picked up Book 1 a few months ago. I found it to be an enjoyable read. I was just moderately disappointed that most of it was stuff published after the crossover was finished, but I guess that happens when they decide to reprint a story chronologically.

Now refresh my memory. Which issues are in Book 2? I saw a listing a while ago, but can't remember.

11. Darkravager

I didn't know it was that big. It might be worth it then.

12. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I've always loved the AoA. It happened only a few months after I first got into reading comic books and I ended up getting most of it (just missing Weapon X 2-4 and X-Universe 1 & 2). I still consider it one of the best comic book storylines ever. Still, after it was over I never went back for any of the revisits. None of the Tales books, not the Blink miniseries, and definitely not the 10th anniversary butchering of the ending. The AoA was perfect the way it was, they didn't need to go back and have the guy who wrote X-Men/Fantastic Four to write a sequel.

And Onslaught was just plain not good, for two reasons. 1) The writers were making it all up as they went along. No advance planning, no well-thought plot to follow, just the basic idea that it'd be cool for the X-Men to fight something Dark Phoenix-scale again. And B) Marvel decided to co-opt the whole thing as an excuse to launch the Heroes Reborn disaster (whoever's brilliant idea it was to hire Liefeld to do anything deserves to be dragged out into the street and pelted with issues of Youngblood). So in the end we got a poorly planned X-Men story that suddenly had to accomodate the inclusion of the FF and Avengers. And it was still better than House of M. :p 

13. Frequency

Aye, the AoA sequel was an awful mini-series. The rest wasn't so bad... ok, the Blink mini-series was a little boring. I was just pissed they crammed it all into the first paperback instead of waiting for the fourth or fifth.

That's also what I meant about Onslaught... I've heard it was pretty good until the whole Heroes Reborn thing.

Edit: Issue compilation for Volume 2:
    X-men: Alpha
    Age of Apocalypse: The Chosen
    Generation Next #1
    Astonishing X-men #1
    X-Calibre #1
    Gambit and the X-ternals #1-2
    Weapon X #1-2
    Factor X #1-2
    X-man #1(written by Jeph Loeb!)

14. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

If that's in volume 2... what the heck was in volume 1?

and what the heck is your sig? haha!

and what the heck... nah forget it

15. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    Thanks for the list, Frequency. I find the issue choices kinda weird since it doesn't match up with uncannyxmen.net's AoA read order.

And Drew, Book 1 had all of the pre-Alpha stories: Chronicles 1 and 2, both Tales of books, the Blink mini-series, X-Man -1, and X-Man '96 annual (he went back in time to pre-Alpha AoA in that one).

16. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

QFFE = Quoted For Fucking Emphasis!

17. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I dont understand the appeal of gambit, isnt he one of the more popular x-men characters? Personally I think he is horrible and he is everywhere in AoA. I cant read a damn story in the thing without him showing up, it drives me nuts.

18. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Haven't picked up an X-Men book since Onslaught, and I only liked Gambit when I was a kid. Thought he was funny/cool. Don't anymore, he seems pretty boring.

19. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Never understood the appeal of gambit ether and when i mention to people i dislike the charecter alot I almost get pelted with sharp objects.

And if gambit is all over this I think I just lost all intrest in the series

20. Frequency

My sig is a Timebreaker from the Timebreakers arc of Exiles telling Beak(yes, that Beak) that he's destined to save the multiverse.

I personally half-half like Gambit... I tend to like most alt. reality Gambit's better... and I've come to the conclusion that he's a much better character when he's not in love with Rogue. I mean, whenever he's in love with Rogue he's a pretty big cry-baby. But it could just be that the whole Gambit/Rogue thing is so played out now. It's really the only aspect of either of them present anymore. They seriously need to kill that freakin relationship and give both characters some new development.