Age, is it just a number?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Does your "number" reflect your actual age? What I mean is, I'm 36 but often seen as much younger. Being born with health issues has caused me to mature slower than most people. I don't feel like I'm 36 at all, I feel more like a young 20-some adult.
    When I was a teenager, I often got asked if I wanted a kiddy-menu at restaurants and I hated it!
    I was just asked by somebody if I'm really 36. I guess I sometimes come off as being a lot younger and in some ways I am. I can't help it. I do the best that I can possibly do for who I am.

So I ask you, do you feel like your number? Do you feel younger, or older than you should be? Are you happy with where you are in this point of your life?

2. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I feel alot older than I am. Having 2 kids that are full of energy and don't know how to control it does that to a person. Plus I've been at the same job for 13 and a half years. I just feel old.

3. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Age, for most everything, isn't just a number. There is a lot surrounding that number that it is not simply arbitrary. The saying "age is just a number" is often an excuse for doing something creepy.

You can help it. You just won't. "I can't help it" is the worse kind of excuse for everything that you have any degree of control over.

4. Tigertrack

Yes your right to some degree. I can't help what's happened to me in the first 18 years or so of my life. But since I've had surgery and my health has improved dramatically things are looking up. It does get better each year. I still don't feel like I'm 36. And I bet when I'm 50-60 I still won't feel 50-60. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. As we get older, we often wish we were younger.

5. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    I'm 31 with 2 kids that run me ragged but it all depends on the day. Do I feel older then I am, yes lately I do. Do I act older or think older, no I act like i'm still in my 20's and single

So to answer you question I would say it all depends on the person. I get asked all the time when I get carded if it's fake b/c they say I don't look my age.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

No offence mate, but from your posts I am very surprised at your age. I don't mean you're immature or anything, I just thought you were about 10 years below what you are.
    I hope you don't get offended my that as it wasn't intended as anything negative.

Having said that, I'm often surprised by people's ages on here when they tell me them. Maybe I'm just a terrible judge of that sort of thing! :lol 

7. E.Rabbot

E.Rabbot Well-Known Member

No.

Glad that's settled then.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Here's a thought. Make your own decisions about insignificant crap like your window coverings.

9. Tigertrack

No offense taken. It used to bug me when I was younger and people thought I was even younger than that. But to be honest, as I get older, it's nice to be considered younger if you know what I mean.

Everybody's life is different, girls mature faster than boys, everybody matures at a different rate from everybody else. We are who we are and the point of life is to better our selves no matter the situation thrown at us.

10. Tigertrack

Geee, thanks.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm serious. Part of maturity is talking care of business without getting hung up on the minor details.

Another part is graciously taking advice, especially when you solicited it.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    other than 3 ages your required to be by law before you can do certain things , it is just a number.

remember you have to grow older, but no one can make you grow up!

13. Tigertrack

I agree with you there!

14. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    The older you get, you learn that statements like this are B.S. Aside from getting drunk at a brother's wedding, you don't have time or liberty to be immature. Bills always need paid. Kids always need to be taken to practice of some sort. And something is always broken or needs fixed. Plus when you have kids, you have to set a proper example. Monkey see, monkey do.

The problem is people don't want to grow up anymore. They always look for an excuse to take the path of less responsibilities. I could sit around my bedroom at my mom's house all day and eat cereal at 5 in the afternoon, but I don't. It's not the life I chose. And When It's time to put me in the ground, I hope that I made right by everyone that I took care of.

15. Tigertrack

Well said my friend!

16. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I think a little immaturity/silliness does wonders. My parents have been married for 22 years, and their advice to me was: try to laugh, try to be silly and don't sweat the small stuff. While I grew up they would find time to immature, to let loose. They'd be silly. They had to go through a lot of tough stuff in their lives, and they got through it by trying to be a little childish from time to time. You can't just let the burdens of life bog you down and refuse to let yourself just let loose once in a while. You'll be unhappy.

Age is totally just a number. I know many people in their late 20s and 30s who haven't gotten their act together, and I know people my age who have accomplished more and are more stable than people twice their age. People take their own time to get to a decent level of "maturity", and while maturity is valuable and incredibly important a little childishness is necessary once in a while. The social constucts of where we're supposed to be at a certain age are silly, as each person develops at a different rate.

I feel a bit older for my age. I always have. I also am incredibly silly, but I know when maturity is needed. But if I didn't allow myself to be childish, I'd be a miserable robot.

17. Tigertrack

Thank you very much for your input! You said exactly what I was thinking.

18. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Just yesterday at a car show, I made the comment that I was in the Air Force for 17 years. People don't believe I'm old enough. I'm 35, do I look 35? Yes, kind of. I joined at 18...do the math.

19. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Im 28, but look like 40. Been that way forever, I remember at 15 being able to buy beer without getting carded

20. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    I enjoy the sillyness. I don't enjoy stupidity. There's a very thin line between them.