Afternoon to night sequences..

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by iheartarcee, Oct 17, 2007.

1. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I have TWICE pointed out that other movies contain lots of errors related to the needs of shooting and I'm not the only one in this thread. You may not agree that Michael Bay Transformers is any more prone to this than any other film, but we're going to have to disagree there.

And frankly your the one who started with the ever-so-condescending comments and the "yeah, yeah, yeah.." stuff.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    http://www.moviemistakes.com/film5953
    Errors in Transformers: 35.
    http://www.moviemistakes.com/film1778
    Errors in The Fellowship Of The Ring: 254.
    And of course starting a post with the ever-so-massively-dismissive"Whatever" is just SO much better, isn't it.

3. DeathsHead

Well come on Draven, you can't really expect to make sarky digs at peoples posts and not expect them to get slightly irritated can you? Really?

The 'Rings stuff is interesting (don't read if this stuff bugs you in films!!!) but I still think a lot of the stuff in TF is on a more blatant scale. Plus a lot of what's being discussed is not just 'he held the thingummy in the wrong hand' stuff, but jumps in story logic, vanishing characters etc etc

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Uh huh.
    I made a general comment about the thread itself. I mentioned ONE word from your post, as it was relevant to my comment. And you jumped down my throat. If you feel like doing that again, put it in a PM.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  5. DeathsHead

I hope the "uh-huh' is not an affirmative. Blimey.

Putting in a quote from my post made your comments seem VERY pointedly directed at me even if that wasn't your intention.

6. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Actually I think there's still many more mistakes in TF, but its still a relatively new movie so only a handful have been spotted, as compared to LOTR.

7. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Ok guys cut it off, but I'm with Draven here, us fans will always see mistakes that most people don't because we are fans, and we want the movie to be perfect. Specifically this topic about the time transitions, come on, it's obvious that this was made to imply that several hours happened between scenes, we just didn't watch them.

8. DeathsHead

Me and Draven stopped sniping at each other several hours ago. If we wanted to continue it'd be PM's. I have nothing against the guy in principle and I'm sure he doesn't hate me either.

As me and others have suggested it wasn't supposed to imply a passage of hours between scenes, but a compression of late afternoon sunset to night. What we see is approximate 'movie' real-time or at the very least happening over a short period. A six hour car chase that we strangely don't see would be both ridiculous in concept and massively short-changing the audience in practice.

9. HyperGeek_1984

HyperGeek_1984 Herr Doktor

To you maybe, but not necessarily everybody else. I didn't watch Transformers for car chases. Sure, car chase scenes can be very cool and are an iconic aspect of action cinema, but I wanted to see Transformers for the Transformers, and that's what I got.*

*Maybe not quite as much TFs as I might of wanted, but that's beside the point.

10. DeathsHead

Well yes, absolutely, and I applaud you for that HyperGeek. I can't of course be the barometer for all audience tastes.

This doesn't alter the fact that it is a misconception to chalk up the quick afternoon-to- night progression as evidence of a missing scene of several hours length. It just isn't the case. It would be quite a rarity to have a blockbuster movie where a sizable chunk of action happened off screen in a Rosencrantz & Guildenstern manner.

If people want to enjoy a kind of Fanfic explanation that involves this, that's fine, but it simply doesn't relate to what we see up on screen.

11. HyperGeek_1984

HyperGeek_1984 Herr Doktor

True, and I guess whatever fanfic explanation (if any) you want to use the question really comes down to, 'do the time discrepancies bother you?' In my case, no, they don't.

But I suppose that's true with anything else. I enjoyed Transformers quite a bit and I had an absolute blast watching it in the theater for the first time. That being said I'm still fully aware of all the faults the movie had, I just liked it in spite of (and maybe in a wired way because of) all those flaws.

12. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Well, I don't think anybody could've wanted a car chase that lasted 30 minutes or more in Bullit style.