After TF3, what direction for the movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ceasar121, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    We know we're going to get another Bayhem filled movie. Loud explosions, average story, great fight scenes. After TF3, what direction should the movies go? Should they continue with more Bay style live action?

Personally, I hope they go with some Pixar styled animation. After watching movies like Bolt, Wall-E and 9, it seems to me that this would be the best style for a TF movie. The movies have budgets the same size as the first TF movie, and the stunts and action could be tons better, and most of all, they'd probably focus on the story more. Hasbro, from a business since would profit, these movies generally do very well financially. And even if they relauch 2 to 3 years after TF3, they'd be hitting their target... and new crop of 5-12 year olds.

Hopefully Hasbro will think of this.

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Given the current Hollywood formula I have a bad feeling they will just keep doing the exact same thing until they run it into the ground.

At some point somewhere down the road though I really hope the live action films manage to find a way to really shake things up with something new like Batman, James Bond and Star Trek did. Live action isn't a bad idea I just look for more character and story in a movie.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

This.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Direct to video.

5. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I already have a feeling that TF3's not going to fare as well as the first two, so I say wait a couple years and then reboot the franchise.

And that said, I think that a rebooted franchise should go in a different direction than Bay, which I really don't think should be THAT hard to do.

Then again, I also know if I ever was responsible for rebooting the TF film franchise, I'd probably ALSO end up doing a lot of things that would tick off fans as much as Bay did...

6. Ash from Carolina

After watching some of the DC direct to video movies I could see some animation with Transformers working that way. Perhaps borrow a page from the DC book of different looks and self contained stories so there is always something fresh compared to what they are doing with the live action movies or ongoing cartoon series.

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Personally, after TF3 I hope they give up the movies for quite some time. Finish the "trilogy" and get back to a cartoon series every few years.

I fear that if there's a TF4, TF5, etc, released every 2 or 3 years then we're just gonna get shit like Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. So, let the movies die after TF3 . . . in the years to come then come back with a reboot for live action.

8. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    yoU KNOW, if alwaYs wondered about that, what if Hasbro went for the 3d style like 9? It could work, but I'm sure it will continue being the same film until it looses its magic.

Michael Bay took on the Transformers because his vision was, and always will be realism. The main challenge was to PortRay robots in a world that we live. This will continue growing and make tons of money I'm sure.

9. llfalcon

llfalcon Well-Known Member

I would like to see a reboot of the franchise and have it set in the 80's, kinda like how the Watchmen did it. Do the G1 story line of More than Meets the Eye. Start off on Cybertron and have them go off into space in search for resources. Doesn't have to be exactly energon cubes. Both sides crash into earth and awaken millions of years later and reconstructed with Earth alt forms.

I was never fond of the All Spark story line. It doesn't fully make sense to me. It turns mechanical objects into mindless Decepticon drones. How do Autobots get created? But the main thing, I want to see very recognizable characters. Optimus, Bumblebee (battlemode has horns) , Jazz and to a lessor extent, Megatron have heads that ressemble their G1 counterparts. They also need to focus more on robot characters, giving humans more of a supporting role. This is definately a pipe dream, unless they do go the fully CGI route.

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    ^ Actually, the Allspark creates chaotic newborn Transformers who will attack Autobot and Decepticon alike unless guided and nurtured.

I'd personally want a reboot, with a story along the lines of Furman's 'Infiltration' series that puts a lot of emphasis on the 'robots in disguise' concept, and robot designs along the lines of Classics/Universe/Alternators. Also, get someone with a proper grasp of the Transformers mythos to handle things.

11. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I think TF3 most likely will be the last "Bay-former" film. Mostly due to the fact that I can't really see what they could do to keep the live action series going. I mean I'm even a little stumped as to want they're going to do for the third one.
    Though personally I still think it just might end up being Uni-...But we won't get into that.

I think doing a fully CG animated film probably would be the next logical choice to reboot the franchise in theaters. Trying to do live action again, even under a different director and different art design, would more or less still just be rehashing what Bay already did. you'd probably still get some of the same problems that some fans have with the Bay films. Namely human characters takeing up more screen time then the robots. I know some people would like to argue this untill they're blue in the face, but the fact of the matter is "live" human actors are always going to get more screen time in a "live" action film.
    Doing Transformers as a 3D cartoon would pretty much give a lot of the fans what they want, more robots as the central characters, and less humans. Like Pixar's Wall-E...Kinda.

12. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「Dojyaaa~n」 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There Gonna Pull George Lucas And Make A Prequel Trilogy.

13. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

I assume that after TF3 that they will take a break from Live Action. Even if Tf3 performs good or badly, you would still have 3 successful live acton moviwe in 5 years. Maybe a Cartoon or new toyline should be in the works. After about 5-8 years, then a Live action movie can be made again..

14. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    That is the most logically idea ever. Yes, they should do prequel where the war started in Cybertron.

15. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「Dojyaaa~n」 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm glad someone agrees.

16. Ash from Carolina

I don't know this is Hollywood so they don't use the same sort of logic as the rest of us. Spiderman 4, Pirates 4, even when a third movie sticks and jokes come up to make you feel better about the ticket money you wasted Hollywood still says lets make another one.

Although I also see a problem at some point of just who is going to be your big bad threat to top the last one. They killed Megatron the first time, killed The Fallen in the second movie, so if they kill someone to give the Earth a second moon in the third movie who will they have let to kill bigger than that in a fourth or fifth film?

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I think that they should end it with TF3. Then, a while after that's over, if they want to make more movies, start over again with a new story line, new designs, and new people working on it. Kinda like the Batman movies.

Though if they do decide to continue after TF3, and while I'm not a fan of Bay, I would hope they would stick with him for continuity. Unless a new director would be able to keep things similar enough, so that the end product isn't drastically different from the first three. The Harry Potter movies are a great example of where a major change in Director can drastically alter the look of a movie series. I personally liked how Alfonso changed things, but the difference between the first two movies and the third one was huge, and took some time to get used to. There are still a good amount of HP fans that still have a bit of a grudge against Alfonso.

18. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    None. The idea of a live-action Transformers movie sounds good on paper, but it hasn't been executed well with the first two movies. And something tells me Transformers 3 won't do so well.

19. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

TF3 should be the end. Movies shouldnt really go beyond #3 only a couple of exceptions

20. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

That's exactly my point. If they end up going where I think they will for the third one, then they really are not going to have anything for a fourth one.
    If they were to continue with the live action films, they would have to wait a few years and then reboot it with Megatron as the big threat again.

I really don't see that working for a theatrical release. Maybe a straight to DVD film.
    Doing a whole movie in where it only takes place on cybertron with all the transformers having alien alt-modes is something that would only appeal to the hardcore Tf lore fans. I mean I'd watch it and probably enjoy it, but it would alienate a larger target audience.
    I know a lot of fans don't like to acknowledge this, but the thing that does identify the TF franchise to a lot of people is the gimmick of robots that turn into cars and trucks and such.

And NO, I'm not saying that the transformers as characters should be regulated as nothing more then a gimmick. I'm saying their power to transform into recognizable earth modes is their gimmick.
    Just like with characters like Spiderman, his powers to crawl on walls and shoot webbing is his gimmick that he is known for.