After reading rise of Safeguard..

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Sideswipe80, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ..I officially don't mind if Magnus gets killed. The guy is a lot colder than I thought.

2. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]On a more serious note I know of safegaurd and still don't want UM to die, he's to cool.

3. Ravage1976

Ravage1976 Well-Known Member

Yeah I found the whole "no point wasting elite guard resources, get me someone expendable" a little harsh too.

4. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

UM does seem a little underapreciative (best word I could think of) of non-Elite Guard Autobots doesn't he, shows it a bit in the cartoon too.

5. Darth Rodimus

Darth Rodimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Magnus is gonna get two swords and a fusion cannon stuck right is exhaust port. Safeguard for the win!

6. AMG

AMG Old School

He said that? Sounds like something Megatron would say, pretty cold for an Autobot leader.

7. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Yeah I don't really like him anymore. It seems like the only caring Autobots are Prime and crew and Jazz.

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That was mostly Perceptor's suggestion.

Should he die too?

9. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    I don't know Magnus sure seemed gun ho. As a leader he could have killed that idea. To be honest wouldn't mind if Perceptor was killed, lol. Never was a fan, even of the G1 version. I've always preferred Wheeljack as the scientist. On a side note, I really like the twins toys and can't wait to hear how their voices sound.

10. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO the only thing that made Magnus sound "Evil" was the whole attacking Decepticon Refugees thing.

But knowing Decepticons, "Refugee" probably mean full army of war criminals ready to attack, so yeah.

11. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember someone saying that the Animated story writers (or someone affiliated with Animated) mentioned someone was going to die in season 3. Could they be planning to kill Ultra Magnus is season 3? So Optimus can somehow become leader? I mean, he sounds like the kind of Bot you could kill and not have many fans get angry over it. =/

12. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    That is sort of along the lines I was thinking of. If they make UM seem impersonal and uncaring enough (i.e. "no need wasting Elite Guard resources") in the cartoon, then when Shockwave kills him it would be more "acceptable." I say Shockwave as he will be do something in the absence of Megatron to try to take control of Cybertron and put the Autobots on the defensive.

Well, we did hear something that there would be a regular Earth autobot (possibly Arcee) on the show so maybe it is one of the five? Maybe Prowl? He could die in some honorable way like Dinobot did in Beast Wars.

13. Ravage1976

Not the way im reading it all Perceptor said was that they would need to find a suitable volunteer then explained the risks involved in the procedure to which UM responded with the whole not wasting elite guard resources find me someone expendable.

14. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

After reading this I liked Magnus even more.

I like Autobots that aren't all goody and heroic.

15. PyroniusRex

PyroniusRex Banned

News Credits:
    He was going to find someone to experiment on if the double jets didn't blow up. Thats called an asshole if some of you didn't know.

16. Ravage1976

Huh

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    They were in an accident at an Energon refinery, they were picked up near offline (presumably) and used as a test for Project Safeguard in exchange for keeping them online.

As for Ultra Magnus' attitude, well, think about it. He fought in the last big war against the Decepticons. He knows what they are capable of, and like any real leader, he knows he needs to compromise on morality to bring about a win. He's not going to win by preaching "all life is precious". He needs to do whatever he can. If that means experimenting on someone useless in a very dangerous and likely fatal procedure, rather than depleting his reserves of elite soldiers who will otherwise be leading the charge against the enemy, so be it.

Ultra Magnus is the leader of the winning side, because he has enough of the big picture and is tough and ruthless enough to pull it off. Personally, I like that. It means the Autobots are not 100% good, just as Megatron's freedom fighter angle is not 100% evil. Listen to the speech he gave the Constructicons out of context, without thinking this is coming out of the mouth of the main villain. He sounds downright noble, even heroic! That friends is why Animated shines for me. Flawed heroes, less than heroic heroes, and potentially noble villains.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    magnus is badass....but i don't have the safegaurd comic.

19. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    He couldn't deal with being a goody two-shoes.

20. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

What's wrong with being a bit cold? If that's what it takes to win a war, so be it. Just because he's not as kind as some would expect, doesn't mean he should get killed.

"You have to be cruel to be kind, in the right measure."

Although, i agree that maybe using these two wasn't exactly the best option. I would have gladly tested out Project Safeguard on the tick aka Sentinel Prime.