After people saying that the Twins were racist I realized...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OshawottPrime, Aug 14, 2011.

1. erjaho0614

erjaho0614 Autbot/Maximal

Best example: Kevin Federline (ex of Britney Spears and failed wannabe rapper)

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm glad I'm not the only person who wonders if upper middle class white suburban acting "urban" and then spreading it to teen culture in general was such a good idea.

3. TheBeastman

TheBeastman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This, along with other shit movies like Avatar, Harry Potters 3-7 P2, and Titanic.

Everything has to be perfectly PC these days, its ridiculous.

ALSO CARBOMBYA.

4. TheBeastman

News Credits:
    QFT. Stupid GEEWWWWUNNN fantards.

5. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ...What?

Way to ignore all the valid counter-arguments, "fantard". You're worse than most of the blind G1 toon defenders.

6. TheBeastman

News Credits:
    What valid arguments?

7. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:

But obviously these are just "Geewunner Fantards" and there's no difference between the twins as negative racial caricatures and Blaster and Jazz as ethnic characters.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I wouldn't even qualify Blaster and Jazz as "ethnic" characters. They're characters, plain and simple. Whatever earth ethnicity they integrate as part of their personality is just that. A PART of their personality, alongside a bunch of other great traits they've developed over their various incarnations over the years.

There's a difference between being PC and perpetuating a stereotype that's offensive to thousands of people, and that is a symbol of an era in media where many talented actors, musicians and performers were treated as literally LESS THAN PEOPLE.

Just because Carbombya was in G1, doesn't make Carbombya okay then, and doesn't make the twins okay today. If anything, Carbombya is one of the most disgraceful parts of Transformers history, and I'm including Kissplayers. I find it incredibly ironic that Switchgears finds Carbombya offensive, but has no trouble defending the portrayal of the twins.

You can't wave away legitimate criticism against the Bay movies, either in terms of offensive characters, poor characterizations, or weak plots, by just saying "SO! CRITICZ R DUMB", and if you honestly think you can, I really recommend taking a course on film study or boning up on it some other way. It might hurt your opinion of ROTF, but it'll increase your appreciation for a whole world of other films.

Also, I should probably point out that many critics had negative opinions of all the films that Gears mentioned, especially those in the realm of film as art.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The Twins fought Devastator and nearly won.

The Twins were not negative stereotypes. They weren't even stereotypes. They were made up on the spot by their voice actors, one of which is black.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Nobody messes with Tom Kenny and Reno Wilson.

11. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Fixed that for you. It's also pretty telling that maybe they could have beaten him, were they not portrayed as so incompetent they shot eachother instead of Devastator.

I don't think you know what a stereotype is, if you think that it has to be explicitly written to count. I actually didn't know that their dialogue was ad-libbed, and I've been blaming orci and kurtzman all this time, meaning I now owe them an apology.

However, I think it's pretty telling that THEY looked at how the characters turned out and said "damn, I can see why people are totally not cool with these guys."

Just because Reno is black, doesn't make it okay. If anything, it could be argued it's worse, since he should be more aware of the bullshit other black actors had to put up with, and how a stereotypical portrayal like this tied into that bullshit. The idea that "oh, well he's black, that makes it okay" is flawed, because stereotypes shouldn't be acceptable, no matter who's perpetuating them.

12. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We have something called the First Amendment that protects free speech, which not only includes talking about the weather but controversial content.. If you don't like a particular program or movie that has questionable material, then don't pay for it or watch it.

13. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    yeah, that's all fine and good, but when I paid to see a Transformers movie, I wasn't paying to see the racial comedy stylings.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

From what people have been discussing on how the Twins were taken the wrong way it seems to be an entire series of things that own their own didn't seem like a big deal but when it was all combined together it looked like something worse than anyone intended.

Yes the voice actors came up with a voice for the characters but that voice had to be approved by the director. The voice actors did not design the characters faces so you can't pin the gold tooth or other elements on the voice actors. Unless it was all ad lib then someone had to write lines like the one about not reading much.

It's just really hard to pin it on one person because it took the talents of several people to put Skids and Mudflap on the screen. Just a change here or there by one or two people and they might have been taken a different way. For example with normal faces they might have come off totally different.

15. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Because Blaster was cool, and competent. How can you not like him?

The twins were 'ignant' and incompetent.

Don't get me wrong, I don't the twins were racist, I think they're merely uneducated idiots.

16. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Cool, what if we aren't in the United States though?

Also, does your First Amendment apply to my comments in criticism of the twins? If you didn't like my comments, you should just not read them.

17. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    When I first heard the name, I was not able to understand english. When I came across the name in later years, it took me a few seconds to get that I suddenly read something else behind that name :lol 

18. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

THIS! Among other things, PC is humorless.

19. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

20. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

Jus' a minor fix there fer ya'.