After my second viewing of DotM today, one thing is still bothering me.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Mospeada, Jul 2, 2011.

1. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:

This. I understand wanting more Transformers on screen, but you can't discount the military. They've been working with the Autobots and were trained by the Autobots to be able to fight Decepticons.

And really, they didn't exploit any weakness that isn't logical. It's David vs. Goliath times 200, using tactics like taking out the eyes or bombs under the armor are going to work, especially since these are trained military soldiers (or are Sam, who has main character immunity and can do anything even take out Starscream).

2. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some posters bring up some good points about less military in the movie, and cars that don't look showroom in the middle of a war. This was Michael Bay's vision. Did it really distract that much from the enjoyment of the film? Not for me. But, I am curious as to how the next director is going to portray the war between the Autobots and Decepticons. And will they show a more realistic looking vehicles?

3. Drift

Drift Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not as amny people would see it if it was just robots

4. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The military were much better integrated in this movie, and what Autobrand said nails it on the head.
    It certainly didn't feel like watching JoinThe Army.com this time round.

5. XGL Walker

XGL Walker Well-Known Member

Call of Duty: Cybertron

6. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed.

7. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Jesus, it's like you are deliberately trying to miss the point. It's not a problem that there are humans in it, or that they fight Decepticons as well, it's the problem that they get the focus. Even with the third movie the Transformers are STILL the side characters who get to play support roles. It is easy for there to be a 50/50 split, and it's utterly ridiculous that we didn't get that yet again.

8. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe they made a good balance of human and robot action this time with DOTM.

i've seen the movie three times to make that conclusion.

and sorry guys, humans will always be integral in this stories because, um, well, it's happening on earth.

but i agree with you that some decepticon take downs are ridiculous. i just chose to ignore them coz i want to enjoy this movie and it worked.

9. sideswipe45

sideswipe45 AUTOBOT

ughhh if you guys have not noticed Bay is trying to make the movie as real as it can and in real life there would have to be a military present.

10. TillAllROne

TillAllROne Primacron's Assitant

The Decepticons used to scoff at the humans whenever the humans tried to attack them with their primitive puny weapons. Transformers used to be invincible to the humans attack. Now humans can kill Transformers with grenades and bullets.

11. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

both of those... xD

this too, ROTF was somehow ridiculous with all that railgun stuff
    at least in DOTM more of the stuff that killed cons were Q inventions for the humans :p 

12. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

Atleast in DOTM you felt that the military alone couldn't do it. They needed the Autobots. You didn't sense that in ROTF and the end of TFTM.

13. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I usually agree with you on everything, but gotta agree to disagree here. Obviously there has to be lots of human actors, but they should not be the stars. It's like their the ones saving the day and the Autobots get to spectate. It just should not be that way.

14. shadow2879

shadow2879 Banned

News Credits:
    As much as I want to see a lot more bot action... im going to have to say when it comes to making a TFs movie that happens on Earth, I feel you need Military in the movies to make it feel more realistic. I know a lot of people didnt like how there was so much military involvement in ROTF but I for one did. I also feel we didnt have enough of it in DOTM and the reason I say that is if Bay wanted to make the movie realistic and some Alien invades were attacking one of our most heavily populated inner cities as we seen in DOTM, there is no way Decepticon blockade or not that the Military would not have been throwing everything and the kitchen sink at that city. And in all honesty... sorry guys but if it came to the point of an Alien race bringing their world to ours like that and the key to stopping it was only one pillar such as the case in DOTM... Our Government would have hit the city with EVERYTHING!!! You would have seen massive amounts of soldiers, tanks, jets and so on. And if that didnt wok, guess what? The city would have been evacuated the best we could and that area would have been hit with at least a tactical nuke. At that point, the Autobots and anything else would have been expendable. That is the reality of it.

15. shadow2879

shadow2879 Banned

News Credits:
    The reason the military alone couldn't do it was because they were not really involved which is not realistic what so ever.

16. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Heroic portrayal & presence of the military isn't necessarily bad.

However... having a script which provides them with plot device weapons
    for the sake of the human heroic scenes, IS bad :

- sabot rounds. Still overpowered
    - rail gun. :rolleyes2 
    - Que's boomsticks ( why the F didn't the Autobots use these themselves if they're more powerful than their own blasters !? )

17. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    I pretty much love Bayformers to bits. If there's only one gripe I have, it's how easily Decepticons get taken down without being able to do much in return, most of them are simply cannon fodder.

Like orcs in Lord of the Rings.

18. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't know why so many people insist that to want more Transformer time in the film means that we don't want any humans in it. Of course humans especially the army will be in it but as it is none of the Transformers other than Optimus and Sentinal get any real character development and even then it is slim. Most of the TFs have little to nothing to say and just turn up when stuff needs blowing up.
    The film is called Transformers so I don't think it's to much to ask for a little more focus on them and their personalities. How am I supposed to care when Ironhide and Que get killed when they have barely had three sentances each through the whole film?

Everyone I know who has seen the film have said there should have been more focus on the Transformers and none of the people I know are Transformers fans, just casual movie goers. People go to see a film called 'Transformers' to see Transformers and not just when stuff needs blowing up. I'm not sure where this idea comes from that people won't go to see a film called 'Transformers' unless it is about humans with TFs in the background?

19. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    I would have been ok with the humans maybe taking out one or two of the random Decepticons in the back ground that might be possible. I do like the film but I do agree with most too many humans.

20. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im pretty sure the autobots did not 'spectate' much in the movie. ironhide, dino, sideswipe handled the dreads, optimus killed the 'tremors thingie', bee exploded soundwave, prime kills all other decepticon big shots. willie and brains bit and chew down decepticon ships.

i'm not a fan of the starscream versus swinging witwicky though, so i kinda get where you're coming from.