After my second viewing of DotM today, one thing is still bothering me.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Mospeada, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    If you've read any of my other posts, you've heard me voice this complaint before, but it became crystal clear upon a second viewing:

THESE MOVIES SHOULD NOT BE ABOUT THE MILITARY.

45 minutes of the climax is devoted to the military. Pointless scenes of parachuting, seals sneaking in, soldiers scaling the tower. Once again, it looks like the HUMANS are saving the Autobots. For an already overlong movie, so much of the final conflict does not even focus on the Autobots. Every time they show up, it's like, where were you?

Prime losing his trailer was pointless. If he never lost the trailer, he can fly into the fray with jet pack and fire upon the rod, and get into the final battle. A good half hour of pointless military conflict can go. Prime losing his trailer simply opened up a huge stretch of non-Transformers action before he can come back, and then get caught up again in wires. Any Autobot could have snuck in and attacked the Decepticons and fired at the rod.

And the Autobots getting captured offscreen in the final battle? What kind of a cop out is this? We waste 45 minutes with human characters and this can't even be shown? Do we see Sideswipe and Mirage take out more than one or two guys in all the final chaos, except for a few long shots? Barricade taken out by humans? The final battle should have been Autobots Vs Decepticons and nothing but.

Again, this is NOT a G.I. Joe movie. This is NOT MODERN WARFARE: THE MOVIE. This is a Transformers movie. The humans should be utterly helpless against the Decepticons, cowering in bunkers praying that the Autobots can save them. I'm sick of the Team America stuff, we pay to see giant robots fight giant robots, not an Army recruitment film.

2. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    This movie's not made of money, it can't all be CGI robots performing feats of badassery. That's expensive.

3. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    It's because Michael Bay has an unhealthy obsession with the United States Military. Seriously, it's like he gets off on watching soldiers run and shoot things with helicopters in the background.

4. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    So we should forget about the indigenous species trying to fight for their lives against a bigger/more advanced race?!?!?!

Also, the money reason.

5. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    With a 180 million dollar budget? They could have eliminated the entire tower sequence with the giant CG worm/driller and focused on the actual battle.

6. OptimusPrimeX47

OptimusPrimeX47 Well-Known Member

I strongly agree. I think it's pitiful to see how much damage humans do to the decepticons in these Bayformers movies. The decepticons could wipe them out in a blink of an eye but oh well this is hollywood. Hated how they sniped the decepticon's eyes, since when were their eyes so susceptible to damage? Especially Shockwave getting hurt with a parachute on his head and one human taking out a major decepticon like Sam did to Starscream.

7. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Yes. We should. Because that is not what Transformers has ever been about. It's their war on our planet. We're insects. We should not even be able to scratch them.

8. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:

I think we are on the same page!

9. Number1sikko

Number1sikko Autobot

News Credits:
    I think the military worked well in DOTM. There needed to be some sort of balance in the film but there was way too much of it in ROTF. (railgun to kill devs was stupid).

10. erjaho0614

erjaho0614 Autbot/Maximal

I have no problem with the military in the movie since I would expect it to be in full use if there was ever a full-scale invasion. While they shouldn't be able to take out Decepticons so easily, they should fully be a part of the action.

11. fallensinn

fallensinn D E A T H

Ebay:
    MOSPEADA... i agree with everything youve stated 100%!!! theres one other major issue i cant stand about all these movies... Spotless, prestine, show room ready cars in the middle of world war 3!!!! The autobots transform and fight and take some battle damage, then they transform back to vehicle or cut to next scene and theyre beautiful show room vehicles.. it drives me crazy! Maybe i just want alien transforming robots to be too realistic. ha.

12. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Thanks man. Also, I sometimes looked at Mirage/Dino's Ferrari and thought it would be a shame if that thing got the tiniest of scratches on it...that thing is beautiful...

13. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Bay wants to use as much authentic military hardware as he can. And to get that from DoD, he has to make the military look good.

14. Starscreamer69

Starscreamer69 Well-Known Member

It annoyed me how much the final battle revolved around the humans. I wasn't expecting that, I should have though going by the previous two movies.

15. OptimusPrimeX47

I don't think Transformers vehicles dent like regular vehicles do correct me if I'm wrong.

16. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    First of all, stop using bold print.

Second, he means that even after getting their asses whooped, when they transform, their alt modes are pristine pretty-cars. When they should look like they got run over by trains, they're still shiny and buffed.

17. OptimusPrimeX47

Well in the movie the Autobots never really get a beat down anyways...

18. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, this climax battle was good guys. To the OP its cool you've seen the movie twice, but go back and watch the climax battle of ROTF and then watch this one! MUCH MUCH batter in DOTM. I do agree that Prime getting caught in the cables was dumb. I mean no one could have shot Prime down. Prime couldn't rip them? Pssssh. The Wreckers were wasted.

19. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

Mospeada, how are you my man?

While I like the "Autobots and Humans must work together" idea, I really think they should also be toned down. Maybe take out a few fodder protoforms, but never big hitters like Shockwave or Starscream. And never, never in the way Starcream died. I simply cannot believe how many people here applaud the way he died. It's interesting, to say the least.

20. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First, just want to say I enjoyed the movie, probably moreso then the rest because it actually had a tense final battle between Transformers. That said, one of the main complaints I had was exactly what you were talking about. Everytime I thought the scenes would jump back to Transformers it would be more military guys. I didn't mind Sam's tussle with Dempsey, and the building had some nice effects, but it should have been wrapped up much faster and less jumps to the humans.

Still... Prime killed the Kraken, Shockwave, Sentinel, and Megatron, so at least he got center stage as the ass kicker.