after auction sniping and other things

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by jtuarus, Mar 31, 2008.

1. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    im not sure if this belongs here or in another section if it does mods just move it. ok to the point i was bidding on a tf and had hi bid for ever then when i check back i had been outbid and the auction closed now it wouldnt of bothered me if i hadnt noticed that the person that outbid me did so after the auction had closed has ne one else had this happen. now the reason i know this is cause of email i got the auction end email then about 5 mins later as i was waiting for my invoice to come thru i get the outbid notice and the time stamp has it after the auction ended how does this happen? also what is with all the asterix people on ebay what are they a cult to screw collectors i mean there is a million of these peeps now. and they are always doing one thing driving up the price on an item. i would just like some info from others on these things

2. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    The sniper programs usually place a bid at the last second. Since it takes a second or so for your computer to refresh it might appear that the bid was placed after the auction ended. In reality it was placed before the auction ended, otherwise ebay would not allow it. If you want to double check, look at the bid history and see when ebay "thinks" the bid was placed. If the bid was placed after the auction was slated to end then I don't know what to tell you, but more than likely it happened at the second before the auction ended. Also the asterisks thing is ebay's new policy to protect bidder id's

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I don't really understand all that, but I can tell you the "astrix people" are not a cult or anything - that is how eBay hides usernames in certain auctions now, they are all regular bidders with normal names.

4. jtuarus

Ebay:
    ok thanks for info see i didnt know about the id thing so thats cool but why do peeps have to have snipe programs. :cry 

5. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    You should get a sniping service too. Fight fire with fire.

6. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Well-Known Member

i never really understood the reasoning for sniping. if you have a max price in your head that your willing to pay for an item then thats it, its over. place your max bid and hope its the best. if someone is willing to pay more for that item then he'll get it no matter when he or you places the bid. unless theres a program you can set that will always let you bid $5 or so more than the other max bid out there. am i right here peeps? if not let me know.

7. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

reason is simple, it helps preventing emotional bidding wars and some what helps against shill bidding.

8. skywarprime

skywarprime DHARMA

People snipe for many reasons; one reason is to not tie up their money for a week, another is so that people don't use you as their personal shopper by using the "search by bidder", another is to prevent a seller from shilling you, another is to keep the action down and get an item for a lower price (sometimes works).

Personally i've been sniping since the first auction I bought on eBay, before I even knew what it was, it just seemed so nonsensical to reveal myself to other bidders if I didn't have to.

Oh and I don't use a program, I snipe manually, it's a total rush!

9. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Well-Known Member

ok i kinda see what your saying. thanks

10. jtuarus

Ebay:
    now see id have no problem if its you sitting at your cpu and sniping thats all fair in my eyes but to sit back and let a program do it is kinda lame IMO if you dont have the resolve to be there when the auction ends to snipe you didnt want. but that can be said of none sniping bidders. i guess im just kinda angry that the bid came in before( i did check and it was about 2 seconds before auction end) end of the auction

11. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:

QFT! There's nothing like waiting for that 3:16am auction to end and get a bid in at the last second. :) 

12. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

The thing with the 'knowing a set price you want to pay' approach with ebay is you rather quickly get tired of losing all the auctions you're bidding on by one bid (if you just enter a max bid early, someone can just slowly outbid you until they pass your max bid by one bid and win it. That's how the main form of shill bidding works too, where a second chance offer is then offered to you after and you had to pay the full amount you were willing even though no one else really bid the item up that high).

13. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    i HATE snipers!!!!

every time i see something i want a sniper is always there.i usually have to bid higher to stop them especially in the middle of the night.I need sleep sometimes DAMMIT

14. skywarprime

skywarprime DHARMA

Sick off getting sniped?

Start sniping.

15. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I usually do when i am around at the end.

16. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

JBidWatcher.

Problem solved.

17. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, best advice to fight a sniper is to become one yourself. Though, I totally agree with the poster who said it's a total rush to snipe an auction manually at the last couple of seconds. Especially with the '1 click bid'. Me and another guy sat there for the last couple of seconds of an Omega Sentinel auction bidding back and forth like that... total rush! Unfortunately it boiled down to who could clikc the button the fastest and he got one more in than me... said... I would have gone up to $70 for a nice minty Omega Sentinel. Still... that was fun!

18. Delphan Rane

Delphan Rane TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It really is. :drunk 

19. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    That assumes that people bidding always put in the max amount they want to bid, taking advantage of Ebay-autobidding. However, most bidders don't actually do this. That is why you often see the same person bidding several times in an auction. People bid, they get outbid, and then they bid again. Sniping gives the sniper an advantage by not giving these people a chance to bid again after they've been outbid.

(Not that I think sniping is evil or anything. I do it myself. I'm just explaining how it works.)

I think complaining about sniping is like stepping into a war with a sword instead or a gun, and then complaining about the guns. In war, you can use a sword or a gun, so if other people start using guns, you need to use guns too, otherwise you're going to be screwed. Likewise, in bidding, you can either bid early or snipe--if everyone else is sniping, you need to snipe too. Complaining about it doesn't win you any Ebay items.

20. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree, it is. I stopped doing it because I actually didn't like the rush feeling. It was more than I could handle. That, and sometimes I would forget to bid :p