After a second viewing, it's the MILITARY, that's what bothers me most.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Mospeada, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Forget the bad humor and every other valid complaint for a minute and think of the final battle. What happened to Autobots Vs Decepticons?

The final battle of the film, until Prime's resurrection, is the U.S. Military (featuring the Autobots) Vs the Decepticons. Ratchet, Ironhide, Jolt, Sideswipe and the Arcees are relegated to useless side characters. They just kinda stand around and shoot. Lennox even gives orders to Ironhide. Man, you don't give Ironhide orders!

Bumblebee gets to shine against Ravage, the tardotwins inexplicably get screen time, but who takes out Devastator? A HUMAN weapon. Before Jetfire shows up, takes out a few Decepticons and merges with Prime, the humans were actually...winning...the guns and tanks were taking out 'cons. The planes take out 'cons. Now ask yourself, shouldn't this final battle have been....I don't know, Autobots fighting Decepticons? For every tank, jeep and helicopter filled with soldiers we don't care about, that's a wasted opportunity for a Warpath, Hound or Blades to show up.

The movie isn't called The Army (featuring the Autobots.)

2. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

Why do you think the US military so happily supported Michael Bay?

3. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Then maybe he should direct another war movie.

4. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    As long as Bay is getting the military's cooperation, you are simply going to have to expect that the military will look good in the film. There's absolutely no way they are going to contribute to a film that makes them look useless.

Incidentally, having the military be useless against the aliens is a dull trope. One of the few that Transformers actually breaks.

5. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

He just did.

6. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Zing! I know, right?

The military in these movies should be about as effective as the military in a Godzilla movie. Not very. I can watch any war movie, I want Autobots being more important than soldiers, is that too much to ask?

7. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

So if they gave that to you, you'd be happy right? And you wouldn't still think the movie was the worst ever? Trying to please you would serve a purpose huh? I'm sure paramount regrets not spending time trying to please your ilk.

8. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Yes. But let me remind you that I don't wear the G1 only blinders and I liked the first film. It's my opinion, deal with it. If you like the movie where your Transformers are side characters who are under the military's command, then good for you. America, f$$k yeah.

9. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

:lol 

10. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which is why the fallen is truly the strongest cybertronian in the movie series.

Military is nothing but a circus trick for him!

11. butz

butz slippery when wet

While I don't like all the dick waving the army does in these movies, I do like the fact that human weapon have at least some effect; if it was like a Godzilla movie where all of humanity's weapons invariably fail, often with little to no reason beyond "make the Transformers look tougher", then I'd absolutely hate it. One of the early issues of the Marvel TF run (the issue where Spiderman makes a cameo) Megatron stands for 15 MINUTES of bombardment by "everything short of nuclear weapons" from the military, and comes out without so much as a scratch. BULL SHIT. I had a hard time taking the comics seriously for a while after that. If thats the case, then how would any of the Autobot's weapons be of any use either? Don't give me this "they have alien technology" cop-out; such technology would still be based in this universe and this universe's physics.
    That being said, I do wish they had a less active role in the final battle of RotF; it did kinda come off as "The army vs. the Decepticons" there for a bit.

12. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

You do make a valid argument. I mean the military makes killing Decepticons look easy. Hell I bet if Decepticons were outside my apartment now, I could probably kick their asses before even having my breakfast.

13. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

1. You're exaggerating.

2. Making the TFs vulnerable to military hardware justifies their being "robots in disguise" - why hide if you are invulnerable? Mosepeda's wrong - TFs are not supposed to be Godzilla (well, the big combiners maybe). And while making the Decepticons vulnerable may seem to cut against the drama, it also means the Autobots are vulnerable as well, and leaves other story possibilities open down the road.

3. The real answer here is, of course, that its much cheaper to show the military bringing the rain, than it is to show Ironhide wiggle his finger.

14. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

Yea it should be a little harder to kill the Decepticons than it showed.

Look at the first film:

TF:
    ===

Optimus Killed Bonecrusher
    Bumblebee Killed Brawl
    Megatron Killed Jazz

Humans:
    ======

Simmons & Others Kill Frenzy
    Army (Mostly) Kills Blackout
    Sam Kills Megatron

I think the first film was closer to the truth than this one...:popcorn 

15. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

I don't mind the military having involvment or even having them defeat decepticons, I just disliked the fact that you never really saw the autobots taking them down. I was more annoyed by all of the constant cuts of air force personnel or armed forces guys talking about sending planes and missiles over. It was unneeded and could have shortened the movie by around 15-20 mins.

16. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I think there are obvious political answers to why the military was in the movie the way it was but if you want to explain it in the context of the movie then it makes sense to me because the Autobots are still trying to earn the trust of the humans and allowing them to take the lead like this goes a long way in doing that.

17. eisen

well... i think 2 years is enough time for the initial "shock and awe/ZOMG GIANT KILLER ROBOTS" effect to wear off and for the military to get their shit together and actually fight back.

but yeah, i will buy the AMERICA FUCK YEAH!! theory as well. but i rather enjoy seeing the human race (even if it is just the americans) standing a fighting chance against alien species. :) 

18. protocida

protocida Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Technecly, the rail gun used Autobot tech.

19. eisen

but i thought they weren't allowed near autobot tech...

20. BR4DSH4W

BR4DSH4W Active Member

Yeah I feel the same way, still once again shows that Transformer's are pushed the side and bring way through the humans.

The whole film felt centred round humans rather than Transformers and before you say "Well OBV, Sam was like the lead character LOLOLOL" I can see gun fights on the discovery channel or I will go watch -insert army film-. I want to watch Transformer to see giant alien robots do there thing, not humans doing it for them.