After a few years, how're your Masterpieces faring?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, May 3, 2010.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm just curious as to the quality of Masterpiece toys. Optimus is probably a good gauge, considering his age. How is he faring? Does he have loose joints? Paint still okay? Parts still in place?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    prime has always tipped forward. no degradation in anything though.

starscream is fine (I trimmed the hinges of his wings)

skywarp is.. okay (one of his hinges snapped, and it's pending repairs and trimming)

megatron is still in customs.

3. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Other than one of Skywarp's rear wingtips breaking in a fall, they're all fine.

4. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

My Prime is still doing pretty well. Any damage it has isn't from age, but other things: a chipped part from falling off a shelf, and some corrosion damage on the arm from accidental exposure to a bug bomb.

Megatron can have some rust issues, on top of his already fragile design (a lot of thin, plastic clips), but the rust is usually easily fixed before it happens.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    MP megatron does not have rust issues. that's tarnish. happens on all exposed diecast. look at the bottom of hotwheels cars. or G1 megatron. any TF that has unpainted diecast metal is going to get tarnish.

6. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine are all fine but I don't transform them that often as they're mainly display pieces.

7. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great to hear that, but would you say they're more or less the same as your other toys, or are they of greater durability? Thanks.

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I haven't had mine long enough to answer.............................

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP-01, MP-03, Hasbro 20th Anniversary Prime are all cool.

MP-05 has suffers from "cosmic rust" tarnish.

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP-01, MP-03, Hasbro 20th Anniversary Prime are all cool.

MP-05 has suffers from "cosmic rust" tarnish.

11. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    MP-01 has a few paint chips, and a busted hip joint. Other than that, no real problems.

12. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    My MP Skywarp is better than the day I got him after I shaved the wing hinges. I've transformed him many times. My MP Prime is better too since I got him with a broken leg and I fixed it. My MP G1 Starscream wing hinges broke so I had to reglue them :/

13. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    My MP Starscream is still great. I'd say it's my own fault for loosing that little shoulderish piece...

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - 20th Anniversary Prime - No major problems, although I think his hip joints have gotten a little bit looser than they were when I got the figure. I do need to change the battery, since the Matrix thing isn't lighting up any more, though.
    - MP Skywarp (Takara) - One of those tiny points on the tailfin broke off when I transformed it the first time and I had to glue it back on. No other problems, but I don't transform it unless I need to pack the figure back in the box for moving.
    - MP Starscream (Hasbro) - No problems that I've noticed. Granted, I think I've only transformed it once, since it can be packed back in the box in robot mode.
    - MP Megatron - Significant tarnish, to the point that all diecast pieces are orange-brown. The clip that holds his hips together in robot mode no longer holds at all and just picking the figure up is enough to cause the hips to come apart entirely...and this is a figure that was transformed once and is rarely even moved around. Has a couple of loose joints, but those were present right out of the box.

15. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Hasbro 20th anniversary Op (1st one) has both legs broken AT THE EXACT SAME PLACE (the connector that connects the knee to the upper thigh, hard to explain), but he still stands perfectly, his legs just flop now, and the megatron gun's stock broke

16. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    My Prime, Megatron, Starscream, & Skywarp (all US releases, except for Megs of course!) are doing well. Megatron is suffering from the previously mentioned tarnishing of his feet, although the figure itself is doing pefectly fine... However, the miniature Megatron pistol that came with my Prime has broken at stock's hinge (the rubber became brittle and broke). I'm aware that this was a common concern with him though.

17. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

brass gets tarnish...unpainted metal starts to corrode when exposed to outside contaminants(skin oils, moisture, etc)

18. Attobot2006

Attobot2006 Well-Known Member

MP Prime WORN, but still takes a lickin and keeps on tickin

My Seekers are all fine. My 20th Anniversary Prime has been through hell and back, including falling from a high shelf (about 7 ft high). On its way down it hit my piano and bit a chunk off my wooden frame, but Prime himself seemed undamaged at all!

However, he has suffered from severe paint chipping on his stupid chest doors and on all the edges on his legs. At first I started touching it up, but it just kept peeling even without play. On top of that I stopped caring and have been letting my 3 1/2 year old play with it roughly on the floor with my alternators.

So, this past week, I disassembled him and gave him SEVERAL new layers of gloss paint on all his diecast parts, and then sealed it with several layers of glosscote for extra strength. While I was at it I used pinesol to remove all the stupid battle damage that's been bugging me over the years. So now I have a clean Takara-ish Hasbro Prime. I also stripped the wierd allspark blue parts off his black gun, and then glosscoted the gun, got him a trailer and gave him long stacks. From this point on he will be for display only.

But bther than paint, he is one freakin solid toy.

19. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

my MP skywarp has lose joints but I think that has more to do with the mold being used so many times than anything else.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    my skywarp is nice and tight.