AFA?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jonnyshaft, Mar 14, 2011.

1. jonnyshaft

jonnyshaft Well-Known Member

What do you think of the new loose tf's graded by AFA? They display nice, and are safe from the elements, but are locked away in vehicle mode forever. Does make it easier to know what youre buying.

2. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Hmmm I almost got one of those, a red G1 Bumblebee, priced at only $50, some else beat me to it though. For me those loose AFAed figures are okay, I'm mostly an MISB collector anyway.

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    AFA?

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't mind a MISB figure graded but loose figures just don't work for me.

5. Deemar

Deemar Banned

I think it's about $45 just to have the Action Figure Association grade a figure so either that guy took a bath on it or it may have been a fake.

6. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

As long as the figure is in mint, and I mean crispy creamy, crunchy mint condition I kind of like the idea. It's like having a sealed display case for them and makes it easier for viewing. I especially like the ones done for a complete Jetfire. It would be ideal to mount it on the wall for display.
    What I want to know is if they're locked in place and won't slide about in the case. Like the Sideswipe figures that are loose in there.

7. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
  8. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I don't like them, personally. With sealed toys, you want to protect the packaging and you're not able to transform the toy anyway, so sealing it in acrylic makes sense. With loose toys, it's easy to keep them in good shape by just being careful with them, and losing the ability to transform a loose toy takes half the enjoyment away, in my opinion. Plus, it's gotta be pretty easy for a loose toy to get an 85 or higher compared to a sealed toy. The grade doesn't seem as meaningful to me.

I'm surprised people have started buying these...

9. Deemar

Deemar Banned

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I totally agree here. AFAing MiSB toys is great, but I just don't see the point for loose figures. In fact, I think they look silly "graded".

11. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

The AFA is an organization whose effective purpose is to give people an excuse to charge for decent-condition old action figures ten to twenty times as much as they would have otherwise, maybe even a hundred times.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I certainly don't want to stir a debate (because we know we've had too many over the last few years), but that is a very ignorant statement of what AFA does and what items that are AFA graded are.

13. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And check his other auctions, there are a TON of loose joes and TFs all for way too cheap if they really were AFA graded.

(though, I think that AFA grading is a scam anyway).

14. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I think i would agree that AFA grading is a waste except for the fact that they are a respected grading system and people are willing to spend more for a graded MISB toy. Buyers create the value and enough people think its worth it to grade so the value goes up. Simple as that.

15. Deemar

Deemar Banned

Ya, be thankful you didn't buy that for $50, I'm pretty sure it's just laid inside a case he bought on Ebay. If you really want to pay that much, I have a lot of Transformers I want to sell you!

I don't disagree with AFA grading though, I think it's a good service. I have some toys that are in such immaculate condition that I would expect to get 150% or even 200% of the regular price for them simply because they are pristine. Grapple would normally sell for $30 and I have one that has been transformed less than 10 times total, still has the original box and insert. There's no way I would sell that for $30, even without the box. I just don't have an official organization to back up the condition so a buyer far away has to take my word for it without that grading.

And if I was a more hardcore collector with mega bucks to spend, I'd be looking for these figures that are pristine and one way to ensure that is to find one that has been graded by AFA. No further questions required.

16. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

I only collect MOSC/MISB AFA graded toys, but loose AFA graded toys are just fine, if that's what you enjoy as a collector.

I would say it makes it easier to determine the condition of the toy, when buying.

If there any new AFA collectors out there, here's a group for us.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/groups/afa-collectors-group.html

17. jonnyshaft

jonnyshaft Well-Known Member

I have been getting some loose tf's graded. For example I had this really nice set of constructicons, but no box. So I had them make me a display that holds all 6. I can always get a set to mess with, but at least these really clean ones are safe. 3 cons got 85 and the other 3 got 90.

Attached Files:

18. Da_Last_2_Walk

The sticker is on the side and the item is not a fake.

19. Da_Last_2_Walk

Why is AFA a scam?

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Open your Toys! Transformers deserve to be free.