AFA...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UltraDevmodious, Feb 28, 2008.

1. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

I was going to see if anyone though submitting some of the newer movie toys to the AFA would be worth while. I have a deluxe barricade and deluxe bumblebee (concept Camaro) in perfect condition. I’ve never submitted anything to the AFA before and didn’t know if it would be a wise or poor investment. I have no intention of opening them and I figured archiving them in this great condition may prove to be of value later.

However, with the premium versions coming out soon...would this just be pointless?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think you'd make a lot more money buying mutual funds.

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    hahaha...nice foster....

but seriously, you might get a decent amount for them...lots of people out there love AFA and the 'protection' it gives to the figure...look into it, see how much it'll cost, then make a decision...

4. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Q F T :lol 

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm not a big fan of AFA myself... I don't really see the point. However, the cases do look like they would protect the package fairly well, so from that stand point maybe it is worth it. For an investment of a modern figure... nah.

... but you can't AFA them... or CAN you? Man those funds will skyrocket in value once you encase them in plastic!!

6. alpharon

alpharon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm new...What exactly is AFA and how can I get more information on it?

7. UltraDevmodious

The cost wouldn't be that bad. Just didn't know if it would be worth doing for basic deluxe class movie toys. Maybe I will just get one of my unopened big daddy toys done. Hell, I don't know I'll just UV protect them put em in a box and see what they're worth in 10-15 years. *shrug*

http://www.toygrader.com/

8. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

AFA is something like: slap an insurance note on a nice plastic case = 300% inflated price
    It's a grading system, which is good for people who's trying to collect as an investment, but really bad for the collectors who just want to have some fun.(This is pretty much the same for all grading companies)
    Now days pretty much anything is "collectable".(Back in the old days there's are only few popular one like the stamps) Company made stuff especially aiming at the collectors(Exclusive, exclusive, and more exclusive!) Limited to 1000 pieces worldwide stuff blahblahblah. I don't really see a bright future on this, eventually we going to endup with loads of "collectable junks".

I never really like AFA(or any private grading companies), they take out the fun of collecting. I wonder how "professional" they really are, The CEO was a police officer(Found out in an article long time ago)

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It's a way to scam money out of gullible toy collectors.

10. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    waste of time and money. with all the movie figs flooding ebay, why would anyone want an afa graded movie fig and from what I have seen, there really isnt any rare ones that have really shown their face yet, yet(maybe some of the japanese exclusives). if youre thinking of flipping them and making a profit(bad choice all around)see first statement.

11. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    the only thing that is actualy worht grading is vintage stuff that is invery godo condition. extrymly rare TF toys like if you ever were to find sealed versions of Black Zarak, Guard City Battle Gaea to name a few.

12. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Grading and protecting modern figures is pretty pointless IMO.

The reason that excellent condition graded G1s are worth so much is because there aren't many of them about. In the 80's, very very very few people were collecting these as adults, keeping them MISB. Most of us were kids then and our toys got opened, played with and trashed.

Because Transformers is a hot collectors market now, tons of people buy and keep them in immaculate condition. They will not be rare in twenty years and they will not be worth much more than they cost in the first place.

That's what I figure anyway.

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Buy your own box and put it in there if you must.

AFA is a sleazy company with apparently random grading practices and a waste of money, especially considering it's a movie toy - there's a ton of them around.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  14. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I like AFA, and I think AFA-ing vintage figures is a good idea. But even I think grading modern figures is generally pointless. There are probably hundreds if not thousands of people with the same toy in the same condition.

Maybe the only exception are collector-aimed toys. Those are generally produced in smaller quantities than main line toys, and the demand among collectors is generally higher. The lower the supply, and the higher the demand, the more the figure will be worth. For example, it's probably worth AFA-ing a Masterpiece Optimus Prime if it's in AFA 90 condition.

As for Mutual funds, in general that's a good idea--certainly better than investing in AFA-graded modern toys--but there are two snags: (1) I think most Mutual funds require (on the small end) a $2500 minimum investment. (2) Right now the stock market is doing poorly. And it might continue to do poorly for a while. If we're in a recession, it could even take a couple years before it starts doing well again. So even if you have the $2500, you probably want to wait a few months, maybe a year or two, until the market really bottoms out.

15. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    it's still better than AFA grading toys. Toys are not a proper investment. They are fun but should not be seen as a way to secure a future piggybank.

iDD

16. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Someone might have said the same thing about vintage comic books a few decades ago...

17. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

They really aren't, Might Gaine.

Due to the presence of reissues and the fact that, with few exceptions, there are quite a few MISB samples of most G1 figures, you can't expect to put an investment portfolio together with Transformers.

18. UltraDevmodious

:horse: 

19. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    You started the topic, what did you expect?

20. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    The same is true of comic books. And the really old vintage ones are worth a fortune, regardless.

Edit--And I'm not saying anyone should invest in AFA-graded vintage toys like they would in stock and bonds, but I don't think people should ignore (A) the analogy to vintage comic books that have gained a ton of value in the last 50-70 years, and (B) the fact that already vintage Transformers toys are worth a lot more than they were just 5 or 10 years ago. At the very least, there is *potential* for these toys to go up a lot in value between now and when you're 60.