AFA Sliding Bottom Cases

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Locke, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I know that there are mixed feelings (to say the least) about the AFA's grading practices, but I have to give them credit here.

I just purchased one of their sliding bottom cases for my MISB Galaxy Force Backgild [I know it's not particularly rare, but it's a favorite of mine, see below], and I am quite impressed. The case is made out of high quality UV resistant acrylic, and the workmanship is top notch. The top edges of the case are nicely rounded, and the sliding bottom works flawlessly.

For anyone who has been wondering about their custom cases, I would highly recommend them.

2. taz235

taz235 Well-Known Member

So you can buy cases without getting it graded? Do you have any more info or pics?

3. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I agree, I love the sliding bottom case I got for my gold Hot Rod :) 

4. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Basically, the pricing works out so that you can buy a sliding bottom case for the price of getting an item graded with their slowest turn-around time (35-45 days). The full price scale can be found at toygrader.com. In addition to the custom sizes, they also have 'standard' sizes for typical action figures and for vintage TFs (mini-cars, cassettes, cars, planes). There is an upgrade fee if you want the UF-5 'archive quality UV-resistant acrylic.'

For me, there were some pros/cons to getting a case vs. getting something graded.

Pros (case v. grading):
    - The case can be easily opened. This means that my toy isn't trapped forever, and I can use the case for something else if I ever want to.
    - You only have to send them dimensions vs. sending the actual item. That meant that I only had to pay shipping once.
    - No risk of the postal service losing the item.
    - Right now, I'm happy with the condition of the box. If some 'expert' told me it wasn't good, I would probably be less happy about the toy.

Cons:
    - Having the item graded can 'theoretically' increase the money you could get by selling it on Ebay, but that only matters if I sell it.