AFA: Is anyone really buying these?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by transtrekkie, Feb 25, 2012.

1. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    ^^ So much this ^^

If the AFA actually had some sort of licensing and/or some sort of external, objecive proof of quality assurance, I would have a lot more faith in them. Right now, because they have made some sort of name for themselves, people see them as the be-all-and-end-all of Transformers grading.

AFA Grading has proved to be very subjective and unscientific (or do they perhaps own an X-ray machine to check the contents of closed boxes?).

I still like the concept of their UV-protected boxes though.

2. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    NOTE: I don't collect AFA. It doesn't interest me. However, I absolutely HATE the sanctimonious, arrogant and smug responses from people here decrying it and assuming they know all about it and the reasons people buy them.

Nothing like a good, smug attitude to something you don't understand, eh?

You have made the assumption that people only collect AFA for investment purposes. My understanding is a lot of people collect it because they want
    a) guaranteed original item
    b) enjoy the look of a well-protected original, sealed item

But of course, your mind-reading abilities clearly override WHAT PEOPLE WHO DO COLLECT AFA ARE ACTUALLY SAYING IN THIS VERY THREAD.

Yeah, free speech sucks, doesn't it?

Who the **** are you to decide what's "too much"? Only what you're prepared to pay? One man's junk is another man's treasure.

People can list an item for whatever they want; if it sells, then it IS worth "that much" to somebody. If it doesn't... well, then the seller can either keep it or reduce the price.

Too...much...smugness in this thread...I suppose you hate on MISB collectors too, or maybe just anyone that doesn't collect, think and act exactly like you....

Um...no. But they can objectively say whether something still has its original seal or not. Of course, the manufacturer may have forgotten to put an accessory in there, or the paint apps may be poor... but that's not the point. People want to own a genuine SEALED item... that's what they get.

3. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I for one am glad I posted this. Sure it kinda turned into a little of the drama from before, but by and large I got the answer I was looking for and it has actually changed my perception of the whole AFA thing. I had this perception that people were paying 100x the regular sealed value of things just because it was graded when it actually seems like that's not the case at all. Sure there might be a few isolated instances but it seems like graded stuff goes for maybe a little more but generally business as usual. I also can understand why people collect graded items or why they get items graded as I've been thinking for years that there should be some sort of organization that does this. And now there is.

As for reasons for grading, I can understand why some people would do it although I also see what some were saying about the relyability of the graders. I think it would help the AFAs credibility if we knew who these people were and what their qualifications are. Which really has been my main complaint about grading all along: I've been a collector for my entire life (37 years) so what makes the people at AFA better experts than me? And I think that could really be said for collectors in general. And, as someone else said, in the end you still wind up paying for someone's opinion and the lack of transparency on AFA's part regarding their graders is what makes this process a little dubious.

EDIT: They also aren't limited to grading MISB toys, they also grade toys that are open MIB, or even loose now.

4. jonnyshaft

jonnyshaft Well-Known Member

I hate bologna.

I will never go into a deli, and order bologna.

I just want to make sure everyone knows that before I continue with my life.

Anybody who eats bolonga is a first class jerkoff.

So whats this AFA everyone is so worked up about?

5. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Hehe, nice one. :) 

6. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

Some of us AFA guys don't hate KOs per se, I think our problem lies with those that try to pass a $30-$50 KO off as an original. So unless you educate yourself and know exactly what to look for, you can easily be duped as I'm sure some that are new to MISB/AFA collecting have been before. I actually bought the new boxed KO Reflector last month, the only KO I own but again the seller (Chimungmung Toy Shop) wasn't trying to pass it off as a legit original like some sellers on eBay do.

Believe it or not, Transformers weren't and I doubt they ever have been AFA's bread and butter. I'd say they made a name for themselves grading Star Wars figures, whether vintage or new...I'd also say there's more G.I. Joe submissions as well. I've never seen anyone regard them as the "be-all-and-end-all" on grading, in fact there are many instances where we AFA collector's disagree with some of AFA's practices. As for the seals on boxes, I'm not sure how (maybe blacklight?) but they can tell if an item has been resealed, actually had a MISB G.I. Joe Pogo refused on me because they determined it to be a reseal.

I can tell you right now, I have actually lost money on a couple AFA'ed figures early on...when I first started collecting MISB Transformers I was buying a lot of stuff to submit myself, well in a few instances they got lower than expected grades and I ended up bitting the bullet. I remember about this time last year I had a MISB Quickswitch, bought him for $275 ungraded and paid another $60 to get him graded, well the auction ended for around $300. So I can see the Buy-It-Now/Best Offer type of auctions to at least prevent one from going in the hole, but I do agree there a lot of sellers like FinalFrontier that are only in it if they can double their money...hence why he's had the same stuff listed for several years.

7. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Eh, I don't get it myself. Hell, I don't get MISB collecting in general. I say open your toys, and play with them. They are toys! If you want to pay extra money for a static object, go ahead. If you want to keep one sealed, and one opened, that's great too!

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Here's somewhat of a dumb question: if you had a MISB G1 Optimus Prime that was signed by Peter Cullen, would that automatically not qualify it for grading? In other words, does the box have be completely factory without any modifications to it whatsoever (in this case, an autograph)?

9. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

What's not to get? Some of us like to preserve the experience we had as a kid walking through Toys 'R' Us or any other old toy store back in the day, seeing shelves and pegs full of unopened toys... I remember just standing in the toy aisles as a kid and admiring all the package/box art, which you have to admit is lost on modern toys. Also, it seems like you assume everyone who collects MISB or AFA doesn't collect loose, I can tell you now a lot of us collect both if possible... Bottom line though, instead of saying "I don't get it myself", try viewing it from an AFA/MISB collector's perspective, it's certainly not one of a static object and for some of us it's not about the money either...it's about reliving that moment you first saw it as a kid, admiring the effort put forth in the packaging and box art as well as the toy...it's about preserving a piece of toy history, because you know if you don't someone may come along and rip that thing open, and that would be a really sad day if all vintage toys were ripped open because some people don't see them as any thing more than just a kids toy.

Information can be found here regarding autographs:

What's Eligible

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Well, that's certainly interesting.

11. cromagnus

cromagnus B-boy rumble

The question really is why would you take a MISB G1 Optimus which is worth $1k plus and have Mr. Cullen scribble all over it. Cart before the horse. No one pays out the ass for autographed TF's so there is no value increase in having him sign it. Plus, He's alive and kicking and autographing crap everyday, so his sig is not rare. i

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Ummm... what's AFA?

13. wraith2021

wraith2021 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    its like UKG but in the US

14. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Oh, o.k. Thanks :) 

15. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Ummm... what's UKG?

16. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not sure if you are being serious but this was posted earlier in the thread when someone asked:

17. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

The intelligence level and laziness is becoming more and more apparent as this thread continues:) 

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Your reply was kind of unnecessary. I was simply asking a question regarding AFA's grading policy toward autographed items. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't own a MISB G1 Optimus Prime, nor do I plan on having anything graded by the AFA.

19. wraith2021

wraith2021 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The general consensus on autographed collectables are a big no-no, this goes for comic books also, they degrade the item, the only time an autograph can be an advantage would be say if a comic artist drew a scene on a piece of paper and signed it, then years later after they are dead this would be able to sell for a lot of money or be worth something to the collector. Without solid proof you can not verify the signature, and it just defaces the collectable.

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Thanks, but optimus12380 more or less answered my question with the link he provided. It was just a curiosity I had recently.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012