AFA Grading

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by skyrinkfusion, Aug 29, 2007.

1. skyrinkfusion

skyrinkfusion Well-Known Member

Hey, would anyone happen to know some of AFA's policy on grading figures? I emailed them awhile ago and read their policies and it says that items will only be graded if the figure is completely factory sealed....but if you look at this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1985-TRANSFORME...oryZ4696QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

one of the sides on Shrapnel's box is clearly open and yet it got graded, the instruction packet could be missing if no one bothered to check. Has anyone actually sent in items and got rejected? Any info would be great, thanks.

2. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

Even though it doesn't look like this is the case, sometimes thing happen when they put the box in the acrylic case. ie Cardboard is torn or frayed. It looks like that tape has been like that for a while so I can't say that AFA did or didn't do that.

But, yes. It wouldn't/shouldn't be graded if it weren't sealed. They have a loose figure grading system but this was clearly a MISB item.

3. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

On a side note. I've seen an AFA graded Browning before that had the stickers on it. You could see them through the window. I know AFA is not perfect but that Shrapnel is pretty obvious, and with Browning, if they did some research they would know that those weren't supposed to be there, Unless, the factory did that for some reason.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    their guidelines are fucked up. they'll grade open boxes if the figure inside is on a sealed bubble, and they will call it sealed.

they also rejected a sealed browning that had the tape completely intact, saying the tape was cut.

5. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I got go with Valkysas here. The AFA's policy of grading open toys that are still sealed on the bubble is a load of crap. I don't consider them to be MISB, but they won't grade toys that are double taped at the factory. The AFA is a joke.

6. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    If the fig is sealed to the card , all items are in the seald bag, but dont have tape on the sides its not MISB ??? I call that MISB. The item is still untouched adn so is the acc. The tape on the side can wear out by time.

7. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

Mint In Sealed Box

8. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I'de like to get my 85 minty sealed Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow graded but there's no way in hell I'd send them in the mail to anyone.

9. Moonstreaker

Ebay:
    Exactly

10. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

Ohhhhh come on. I'll grade 'em for ya. ;) 

Seriously - I'm with those who are anti-AFA. There's been quite a few topics about them here and there which will give you even more information as to why you may want to avoid them, sky.

Then you would be wrong. And that's how a lot of people get messed over when they buy what they are hoping to be a sealed figure.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The B in "MISB" stands for BOX. if the box is not sealed, then it is not "MISB". it then becomes "MIB". mint in box. or if you don't mind getting complicated, MOSCIB. mint on sealed card in box.

12. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    and he's getting his ass regraded as we speak. actually they wouldnt grade him because they said the tape was lifted and resealed, so i cut the tape and tried to open it with a butter knife and couldnt without destroying the box.

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    whats the diffrence between if there is tape or not.. I dont see the big fuzz about it. The toy is still untouched , isent that that is the most important ? I would understand if it was a toy that is in a box like Takaras that just is placed in a styroframe. But a toy that is completely sealed in a bubble is still untouched.

otherwise they have to come up with a new shortnes.

MIOBBSSTC ( Mint in Open Box But Still Sealed To Card )

14. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    browning sits in styrofoam. point is afa said it was opened and resealed, so I tried to open it. but couldnt. so its getting regraded for free. and the free part comes from a really, really big .....aw shit I cant talk about it. they hooked me up.

15. Moonstreaker

Ebay:
    Well they should distguinish the difference on the label between ones that are actually MISB and the ones that are sealed on the bubble in open boxes. Not doing so is dishonest IMO.

I'm glad they are stepping up and actually admitting they fucked up for a change.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yeah, let us know how that all works out in the end, okay?

I hope they don't penalize the grade because of their mistake.

17. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    once everything is done, you will all know why i got 5 free grades. and i will fight to get the browning graded I assure you.

18. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They'll grade anything, even loose items now. Its all about money. You can send ina tree stump and i'll sure you'll get it back in a nice acrylic case with grades.

The box doesnt need to need sealed anymore, just contents.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I demolished a armada star saber minicon team years ago, stomped on the box, blasted it with water, all sorts of stuff, but it was still sealed. I sent it in for grading (just for kicks) and got it sent right back to me.

should I try that again? really test their limits?

20. Moonstreaker

Ebay:
    LMAO...that's great. This time soak it in cat urine first.