AFA Graded BW Metals Ravage (X-9 Jaguar)

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Optimus Prime, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    How many times have you tried to sell this on ebay? This is the seventh thread I've seen you start on it in as many months. It didn't sell for $325 last time, so now you ask $350? It's never going to sell at this rate.

If you do want this to sell, let people bid with a LOW starting price. I would bid.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  3. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^ That.

4. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    same here. but again imo i think afa anything past g1 or g2 is pointless. actually, afa anything is pointless.

5. GALAXY WARRIOR

GALAXY WARRIOR KO-CONVOY

why do people want to pay so much just to have some one say its a certain condition afa is such a sham.

6. Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've seriously spent more trying to sell this than it cost to buy it. :( 
    The only problem with doing it auction style is that I'm afraid someone will get it for like $50, and that would suck. I've got a Best Offer option, but I really don't want to give this up for too much less than what I paid for it.
    Though if I fail to sell it this time, I friggin might as well sell it BIN for a penny just to be rid of the thing...

7. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    why not just start it at 100? or something like that? how much did you pay for it? if you dont mind my asking?

8. Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    It cost me $400. I bought it on a stupid whim and I've regretted it ever since. That, and I got a loose one for much cheaper. This one's been sitting on a shelf mocking me since December. I thought it would be a good investment, but apparently AFA'd non-G1 stuff isn't worth much.

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You could always put a reserve on the auction that you're comfortable with. I wouldn't start the bidding at a high amount like $100, I'd start it around $50 or lower. You can make the reserve whatever you want. I highly doubt you will ever make your $400 back, though. You're going to take a big hit if you really want to sell it.

You could also tell people here you are taking offers on it rather than wasting money listing it on ebay all the time.

10. Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    I did that for a while, had it in my sig and posted it (I think). Only two people ever inquired about it (oddly enough, both on the same day), and when I told them I was hoping for $300 I never heard from them again...
    If worse comes to worst, I'll probably just keep it and use it as a reminder of why I shouldn't buy stuff that isn't going to be worth anything in the future.

11. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

Soooooo very not true. Give it time - nearly *everything* comes around in value again. Especially bigger-named toys like TFs.

AFA anything is always in demand at the right time and with the right owner. You have to know when to move a particular AFA item; they're not like a normal toy. With the economy the way it is, now is definantly not the right time to move AFA stuff and hope to make anything on it. People can barely afford to buy non-graded, regular, retail stuff (myself included), so how can they spend major $$$ on higher-level graded items?

However, just as an FYI, modern AFA 85's are not worth much at all. If you're moving any kind of modern figure, they have to score a 90 or 95 on the three tier to get anything of value. Using the "modern grading scale" tier, they have to score a 9.25+. Otherwise if you have an ungraded figure that you want to submit and you think it will get an 85 (or 8.75) - don't even bother sending it in if you're trying to make a future profit. The market is saturated with modern AFA 85's right now - SW figures that score AFA 85's go for less than what it cost to hunt the figure down (driving, gas, etc.) and then submitting it for grading, even on the slowest turn-around time tier; wich is 30-40 business days. Plus, TakTomy/Japanese TFs always go for really low - I've been watching a graded Japanese Unicron go up and down on Ebay periodically.

Personally, once things get better, I plan to grade alot of non-G1 stuff as well as lots of non-vintage SW figures.

12. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    ouch man...400 is alot, even for AFA figures...maybe wait til the movie comes out? with ravage being in the movie, that should help him sell? maybe someone will pay that price...

13. Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    Well, there's one person watching it right now. Hopefully that person commits, otherwise I'll just try and sell it here again.

14. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Or put your money into CD's, online savings and IRA's. Buying toys for profit is a bit like buying 1$ lotto tickets everyday. It's unsecured and in the end you're lucky if you get back what you put in. Buy your toys for fun and invest for your future but do them separately.

15. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    are you selling a loose one too?

16. Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    I don't usually buy TFs like this for an investment, but every once in a while I'll get one that I think will be worth a decent sum in the future hoping to make a small profit. I've only ever sold one TF on eBay because most of what I own I intend to keep unless I have to sell it. Sometimes you get stuff that you know will be worth a lot, like exclusives, sometimes you get hit-or-miss stuff like this. Which so far is turning out to be a "miss."

That one could very well go on sale here in maybe August, when I plan on selling some of my more valuable TFs to try and help pay for my college trip to Japan in the spring. I don't think I'd ask more than $100 for it.

17. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

Well, again, the AFA stuff does well; but I just can't understand why anyone would have bothered grading that piece. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but anyone with AFA experience wouldn't have wanted to send that piece in if they thought they'd only get an 85 for it. I'm sorry, I don't know why you would pay $400 for an AFA 85 on a modern era figure when really it's not worth more than $100.

18. Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    I'm surprised it doesn't have a 90 myself, considering that the only reason I could see for it is a slightly scuffed corner or two.
    But mainly, I thought it would be valuable considering how rare and expensive just the regular MISB toy is. I've seen many an MISB X-9 go for $150+, so I figured an AFA graded one would be worth about twice that.

19. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

Yea, but that's the thing - sometimes an AFA grade can actually *lower* the value of the figure. Since AFA 85's are so common, most people almost disregard them and would just as soon buy an ungraded copy of the same figure. Once the grade gets too low, people would rather find a regular MOC/MISB version.

With AFA, you're always buying a "concept". You're paying them money to give a commonly accepted value to a figure; but that value is only going to be worth what it represents to a owner/buyer. In a way, you're just buying peace of mind. However, some people don't follow AFA grades and there certainly are a numer of examples where a figure comes back with a lower grade than what the owner thought it would be. They practically check these figures with an electron-microscope...

Personally, if you don't have to sell this piece out of any sense of urgency now, I would hold it till after the economy comes back. I see way too many AFA figures getting hosed on Ebay right now. Even SW vintage stuff, which is hugely popular AFA graded, is coming down hard in alot of instances. Again, I'm not trying to rain on your parade - these are just opinions/experience with AFA pieces.

I do hope you have good luck with your auction. But if it doesn't fly, you may want to remember what I mentioned before about holding it.

Edit: Yea, looking at the pics again, they gave it a B85, W90, and F90 score. I hate it when they do that. It should have just averaged out to a 90, but for some reason they really didn't like the box. I can't see anything more than some light corner wear - not even soft corners, but just really light blemishes.

20. Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's why I was hesitant about relisting it now with the economy the way it is (not to mention yesterday was tax day, lol). I see what you're saying about the AFA stuff, and you're right. That's the reason why I haven't bothered to get any of my TFs AFA'd. This was just the one exception, and maybe I will hold onto it for a while. I've got other stuff to sell if I need to, and maybe in a couple decades this'll be worth enough to make up for what I've spent putting it on eBay! :lol