AFA 90 G1 Soundwave: The $8000 Transformer

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Might Gaine, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
  2. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

$75 for shipping??? Holy crap.

3. nectarsis

nectarsis I have ZAZZZZZZZZZ

fake bidders/scam????

4. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

How did bidder 1 break his own bid?

I can only muster a retraction? hmmm.

5. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    That, or they have severe brain damage.

6. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Gesh it's still only a toy.

7. cutback4197

cutback4197 all roads lead to shame

Ebay:

When there is a reserve and the auction price has not met the reserve and someone bids above the reserve, the bid will automatically go to the reserve price. Even if they are the original bidder.

Boy that sentence is gramatic crap

8. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Ever tried to insure something for $8000? :p 

9. cromagnus

cromagnus B-boy rumble

That is a questionable auction in my opinion only because of the low feedback of the seller. That still doesn't match the $11,000 afa megatron last year. The title of this thread, and your recent sales jeff made me think it was your auction at first. I believe someone out there does want an $8000 AFA megatron and has the money for it. Maybe if he had sold more sealed TF's recently I'd trust this more. I'd like to see how it pans out.

10. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    I wish it was my auction :lol 

As for the low feedback of the seller, maybe the buyer will insist on some kind of escrow.

11. cromagnus

cromagnus B-boy rumble

The tag line "all sales final" basically gives you no buyer rights either. For that much$?!
    Local pick-up anyone?

12. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

13. autobotswon

autobotswon Member

This auction starting with an opening bid of $5000 and the reserve was $8000. As cutback so eloquently stated, you can bid against yourself when there is a reserve price.

The bidder is 100% legit and even a powerseller. I actually think I am 99% sure who it is. Here are his stats:

Bidder Information
    Bidder: Bidder 1Feedback score is 100 to 499 Member is a PowerSeller
    Registered on eBay: Between 2 and 3 years

14. autobotswon

autobotswon Member

The bizarre part about this indeed is where does such a low feedback participant just happen to whip out a piece of this magnitude. There are actually only two AFA 90 Rubs in existence.

I would do two things. The first I would ask for real time pics with some kind of specific message hand written on a piece of paper held right on top of the AFA case. And also as Might mentioned, for $8K you would have to go escrow, unless you personally knew the seller, which I doubt applies in this case.

15. autobotswon

autobotswon Member

I saw that. Its the highest graded pre-rub and pretty darn close to an overall 90 with those killer sub grades. There is not another one that comes even close to this. The best sub and/or overall closest to it, is an AFA 80 and the last few sales of these have averaged in the $2200ish range.

Did you see that AFA 85 (85 85 90) SHOCKWAVE yesterday?? The seller pulled it. Probably could have best offered like $3500 for it.

16. Killa-B-Killed

Just out of curiousity, how do you know this was the only 85 prerub?
    There are at least 5 85's listed in the population report at AFA's website, and more of them could have been from before they differentiated between rub/prerub

I don't doubt the quality of the prerub 85, It was truly BANANAS!!:) 

17. Killa-B-Killed

I saw that. That Shockwave originally came from an Ebayer that was sitting on a case of Shockwaves from 1985. He had no idea what they were worth, and some lucky TF fan got the first mint one he listed for $850.00 B.I.N.:) 

18. autobotswon

autobotswon Member

You are correct. There are a total of 6 AFA 85 SOUNDWAVEs listed in the census before they started the label designation of Pre-Rub vs Rub. Including the one in the auction, we are talking about, I have seen four of the pieces/labels without the designation and they were rubsigns.

But your point is valid. What I was merely saying is that, since the sub grade combination of this auction was 85 90 90, it was by elimination the highest slabbed one, because it would take an overall 90 piece with higher subs to beat this one. But technically there could be another one out there with the same sub combo.

19. autobotswon

autobotswon Member

Yes the infamous case. I am familiar with this. There is a rather high number of AFA 85 SHOCKS. Seven total with one AFA 90 and I think most of them one way or the other ended up coming from this case?

20. Killa-B-Killed

I believe the lone 90 resides in San Fran, I don't know if the majority of the 85's came from the case I was referring to, because the one in question just got bayed in the last month or so.

Off point, but related, isn't it strange that there are so many AFA-85 Shockwave's, and Jetfire's, but you rarely see them surface on Ebay? I guess once you get one, its hard to give it up:) 

Another thing that bugs me that you may have some insight on is the fact that there are so many more high grade Primes than Megatrons out there. Whats up with that?? Was Prime really that much more popular back in the day than Megs? My first TF ever was Megs.
    Any info you have to shed some light on this would be appreciated, the disparity has always bugged me.