AFA 85 Optimus Prime! Mysterious Prime Without Copyright Info!

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Da_Last_2_Walk, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

2. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Edit--Nevermind, the styro is dirty. That's the reason.

It's dumb of AFA not to mark this as a variant, at the very least...

3. Mega-Zarak

Mega-Zarak Well-Known Member

Wasn't this a Chinese 1990's version?

4. Melkava

Melkava Well-Known Member

Its an official release for the thailand market.

5. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    It's definitely not Chinese. I don't think it's Thai either--at least, I haven't seen any evidence for this..

Considering that some of his Astrotrains had altered Copyright info, and some didn't, I'm more willing to chalk these up to being some sort of transitional variant that wasn't intended for release.

6. Melkava

Alterations of the copyright information is usually done by the distributors/importers in accordance to whatever distribution agreement that is in place. Like the USA editions in japan, taiwanese & korea official releases. Blanking or using a sticker is a cheaper solution than reprinting the whole packaging.

Tfs were made in other countries as well, just that it is not documented by the western community. Best I can come up with at a short notice.
    Props to Puffmarko's collection, note the make of the shipping carton.

7. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    I have never seen a foreign release TF that uses the original packaging and yet "Hasbro" is removed from the packaging. They may shorten the Copyright string, or do other alterations, but the "Hasbro" part is NEVER simply gone.

Like what? IMHO the coverage is pretty comprehensive. I kind of doubt you can come up with anything for which at least some information isn't readilly available. Though, if you can, that would be great.

I don't really see what's significant about the carton. It's a toy carton--toy cartons tend to look pretty similar...

Again, I'm not saying these couldn't be Thai releases, but until I see something bordering on proof, I can only assume you're just speculating.

8. TheSpacebridge

TheSpacebridge The Spacebridge TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's from mainland Europe. Ive seen several like this from Portugal

9. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Awesome! And they definitely have "Hasbro" missing on the copyright string? It's good to finally have some more information on these. Thanks Hitch!

By the way, have you also seen the Astrotrain with all the copyright info erased? That's another weird one that the same seller was selling.

10. Melkava

But just because you have never seen one, doesn't make it definite.
    It is a package variant.
    Alterations can be temporary as well, or just a quick solution before the proper packaging are printed.

Tfs were made in other countries as well, just that it still might not be fully documented by the english speaking community. *fixed*
    Like the Italian Gigs.

I m not referring to the PEL discussions we spoke about before.
    3rd line from the bottom, its made in Thailand. 4th line from the bottom, with the manufacturer name. Proof tfs were made also in Thailand?
    I ve spoken with Puffmarko to confirm that these were the original shipping carton.

Even the guys at futuristgroup don't claim to be definite & that their discussions are also up to speculation & discussions. Which I too assume yours as well as mine are.

11. Melkava

Hi Hitch, are you referring to the Overlord or the Optimus Prime?
    You meant that its made over there/official release/imported as well?

12. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    My point was that you can't say that these are asian releases just because the packaging was changed. It's been changed in a way that is totally different from the usual way.

*Everyone* knows about Italian gigs. I could rattle off a list of unique stuff they got. Abominus gift set, Bruticus gift set, Powered Convoy with Optimus cab, Galaxy Shuttle, Optimus with plastic tires, Heros 4-pack, tons of stuff with bopper missiles, etc. No one has even heard of alleged Thai TFs. That's not the same thing at all.

Gemspresentation's items were made in Japan. It says so on their carton. They were not made in Thailand. There is no connection here at all.

You need to draw a distinction between where Transformers are made and where they are intended to be sold. Almost ALL our US Transformers these days are made in Chinese, but they are not Chinese TFs. Almost ALL of 1984 ~ 1986 Transformers were made in Japan, but they are not Japanese TFs. Thus, just because something was made in Thailand doesn't mean it was marketed in Thailand.

And the fourth line from the bottom is not the manufacurer name, so I don't even know what you're referencing there..

If you are speculating, just say so. Don't say "It's a Thai TF!" definitively like you did in your post. That is what aggrevates me the most about your posts on this subject. Yes, I speculate sometimes, but I say I am doing so, so people can know not to take it too seriously, as I did in my initial post above.

Anyway, Hitch has given us the answer to what these are more-or-less, so we won't have to discuss this any further.

13. Melkava

But what is the 'usual' way that you speak of? Just the list of copyright alterations?

In reference to your claim that there is already comprehensive coverage on tf manufacture outside of the regular places, can you provide any links? I would appreciate any documentation/writeups via Pm be it on Italian Gigs or other non US/Jpn releases.

I did not saying they belong to the same batch or was grouping them as such. The Gig Overlord example was in response to when you asked for proof of non US/Jpn make.

Was trying to mean this 2 lines, the counting was my bad.
    prodotta da->produced by
    importato da->imported by
    you used the extact same method of establishing to your beliefs of Gemspresentation's items were of japan origins.

*Its the proof & example I m using to say that Tfs were also made in other places outside of known US/Japan/China. Not for this prime variant*

Your response is exactly the point what i was trying to make in the 1st place. That IMHO, they were for the Thai market, I never said they were made in Thailand for the Thai market. Tfs were imported all over the world, I believe if not for this discussion, Hitch wouldn't be able to provide that piece of information unknowns to both you & I.

If my post was worded wrongly & had aggravated you, by disagreeing/clashing with your opinions/findings, then I assure you its not intentional. Just like you, I too have an interest in this area of TF history. Its harder to prove & convince rather then to disprove in this case.

14. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    The usual way is to keep the "Hasbro" part, but change other things like "Made in Japan", which are no longer accurate. For example, Chinese TFs.

I wasn't saying there was comprehensive coverage. I asked for an example of releases of TFs in other countries for which almost nothing was known, like your supposed Thai TFs. There's lots of info about Italian TFs on Fred's variant page, as well as various discussion groups.

I wanted proof that these are Thai, not proof of TFs existing outside of US or Japan. Of course, TFs exist outside US and Japan. Why on earth did you think I was disputing that...?

If Hitch and I hadn't been here to disagree with your definitive statement that these are Thai TFs, people who read this thread would probably believe that they are Thai TFs. We're forunate that Hitch was able to help us out, but had he not been here, you would be spreading misinformation about these.

15. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

:popcorn 

Seriously, I appreciate the discussion from both parties. Hopefully the debating will bring out the true origin of these "mysterious" Primes.

16. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Yeah, sorry, I know I get a little too into these discussions sometimes. :p 

17. Melkava

Just trying to share my speculated take on the matter with what ever meager information I do know :lol 

I don't disagree on whatever list you are using as a guide. You can add this to that list. Thats why its a variant packaging.

That example wasn't good enough? Well, thats the best one I got. The discussions on the Lucky Draw group, is I believed private & closed to the public, & as far as I know, the information on public discussion groups(english) aren't that comprehensive.

Might be your previous response in the earlier posts. As I mentioned you mixed up my reply with the example about TFs made in Thailand, with this variant Op. Do read my post in response to yours again.

I certainly hope I m not spreading misinformation as you suggested. I have already tried to answer all your previous posts as best as I can in points. But have yet to see any valid points from your end so far, apart from just plain disagreeing with me on certain aspects without any new information.
    I haven't seen any definitive documentation cited by any other public discussion groups in this area, even Fred's variants doesn't claim to be the final word & are still open for discussions.

Before it gets preceive or misinterpreted as a call out, which it is not. I am trying to clarify certain points in the discussion. I am also waiting eagerly for any further information from Hitch as well.

18. Melkava

Transformerz is serious business :D  :lol 

19. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Indeed. My avatar image agrees with you :) 

20. TheSpacebridge

TheSpacebridge The Spacebridge TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I had one of these Prime recently. I'll dig out the pictures, exactly the same but with WHite Spanish stickers on the back. They where Made In France, I'm sure you have all seen the toys with the copyright saying it