Aesthetic choices affecting your interest in the film?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Cory Bauer, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Honest question: Has anyone ever passed on viewing a Transformers cartoon or comic series because you didn't agree with the chosen aesthetic of the robots? Please speak up if you have. I'm curious to know if this is a mindset unique to the live action film, or one that has affected your picking and choosing of Transformers series to view/read in the past. And if you did pass on a previous series because you didn't agree with the chosen aesthetic, what Transformers series did you watch/read instead? Thanks for your feedback.

2. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Yes, everything past Beast Machines. Two series' worth of bland, childish anime, and then two more with poorly-animated cell-shaded computer models OVERTOP of bland, childish anime.

All my hopes for the movie hinge on it having good visuals and mature writing.

3. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    The aesthetics have heavily influenced my decisions regarding which toys I'd buy, but never what I read or watched. Having said that I've never come across a TF aesthetic I've actively hated before, the most negative reaction I've ever had has been a "meh," closely followed with a shoulder-shrugging motion.

Good stories are the key to good fiction, whether it's a book, a comic, a cartoon or a movie. Take a good concept and use it to tell a good story and I'm hooked.

4. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I guess the aesthetics did kinda form in me predisposed notions of how much I would like or dislike a series. Seems, though, that I've been pretty much wrong in my preliminary judgments.

Cases in point:

Being a big G1 fan, I was very skeptical about BW when it came out. I just couldn't get used to the idea of beast TFs. Once I started watching the series, though, I really grew to enjoy the show, and moreso than G1 in some ways.

On the other side of that same coin, when I first saw the RID toys, I thought RID may turn out to be the beginning of a return to G1-esque aesthetics. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the RID show in the least.

What it boils down to, for me, is that good storylines and interesting characters outweigh the design aesthetics.

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Yes, I disliked Armada's aesthetics so much I stopped collecting TFs all together, sold off most of my collection and didn't start collecting again until Alternators came out.

But then again, I like most of the movie bots so far.

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I passed on the IDW TF: Infiltration series for a variety of reasons 1)I just don't like the way they look; it's hard to put into words. But the art style just isn't my cup of tea. Although I know the story's solid as I've read some issues at the comic store. But if I can't stand the art style it doesn't matter how good the story is as the art is part of the draw of a comic.

Second unfortunately is that after 3 volumes of G1 and 2.5 volumes of War Within from Dreamwave, I'm pretty much played out when it comes to retconned G1 stories. Probably explains why I scooped up the Beast Wars comic so readily and quickly. Hence why I don't post in the recent TF comic threads, as I don't read nor have any interest in reading. I'll read the threads just to see what people think but I won't join in as since I have no plans to read it, the topic isn't one I should post in

Other then that I've never skipped a tv show as IMPO all the shows have strong merrit if you look for it.

I was skeptical of BW at first because I knew it was Transformers and to me Transformers was that childish cartoon I watched as a kid. Fortunately I gave the show a chance and liked it. Hell even the kiddy show which was RID didn't bother me. As I learned to accept TFs in it's various incarnations.

And since I loved the BM tv series, I guess that's why I've got not problems with the designs. As I always say "I'm an eclectic TF fan" I'm an overall TF fan first and a G1 fan last. Meaning I like G1 but I don't compare each series to it, I judge everything on their own merrits as in whether or not it appeals to my tastes

7. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

I did actually pass on IDW's Transformers series, not because I didn't like their aesthetic but moreseo because I felt the artwork looked "cheap" compared to Dreamwaves. IDW's work looks like it has maybe 1/3 the time spent on it as Dreamwave's work did. I caught a few episodes of Armada, was quite frankly embarrassed to watch it in the presence of other adults, and haven't tuned in to a Transformers cartoon series since. While I hate the obnoxious paint schemes and non-realistic alt modes used in the past five cartoon series, it would by no means stop me from watching them if the stories and characters didn't feel dumbed down for toddlers and, to a degree, lost in translation.

Thanks for all the quick replies. Hoping to hear more.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    no.

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    What he said.

10. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Beast Machines. 'Toon and toys. I maaay go back and give the show another shot one day, though it's not high on my to do list. No way am I buying the toys. Granted, there's a Jetstorm repaint or three around here and I do like my Botcon Cyclonus, but in general, I was so turned off by the BM aesthetic, I came thiiis close to buying Gundam toys for a robot fix during that stretch. Instead I blew a ton of money on vintage stuff and CR2000 before it came over as RiD.

Lack of interest in the RiD/A/E/C cartoons has little to do with the aesthetic of the robots, but the poor quality of the 'toons.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    thats cutting it a little to close there.

12. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Eh? How do you mean? I gots nothing against Gundam; never even really seen much of it. At the time, those little carded action-figurey looking ones were all the rage and I almost bought a bunch 'cause they looked kinda Robotechey, which I like, and better than BM in any case.

13. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Armada and Beast Machines def. turned me away. But I still watched the shows but not really got into the toys.

14. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I didn't see all of BM until the DVDs came out. Only then did I watch it because it was so far "in the past". My collecting slowed during the BW/BM era. Starting with the fuzors as at the time I had never seen such ugly Transformers. Most of them still make me laugh today. Anyway, I was back to serious collecting again starting with RID. Nothing yet has completely made me stop collecting. Oh, with the exception of the Animorphs, I dodged them completly when they were current. As for the new Movie, I'll see it but I reserve final judegement until then

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i got something against gundam, stupid robots with androgynous kid pilots :D 

16. indecks

indecks Banned

I never really paid much attention to the anime style series that came out after Beast Wars/Machines. I never even saw RiD, but when it came to the Armada series... blech. I couldn't stand it. Armada was basically Transformers Pokemon.

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's how I got my mecha fix during that period too and I'm going to do the same next year. I seriously want the TF movie to do well but unfortunately, they're not mecha-like in appearance for me and most fans of the mecha genre i.e. Macross, Gundam, super robots etc.

Do I think the movie will do well? Yeah it will but mostly because movie-goers will be drawn just by the TF branding.

IMO Hasbro is fortunate that they're not facing strong competiton in the "robot toy" categoy in the US - only the Power Rangers and their Zords come close.

In Japan, TakaraTomy is getting trounced in the "robot toy" hence their strategy of targeting collectors - Cyberton/GF were being dumped in most stores and the holding back (for now) of Classics in Japan is proof of that.

Fans of the Master Piece series like Optimus and Starscream can "thank" companies like Yamato and Bandai for forcing TakaraTomy to "adapt".

18. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

The aesthetic of a series is always part of the bigger picture, but it can be hard (or even impossible) to overlook. Honestly, its hard to get past artwork you absolutely hate, even if the writing isn't all that bad. I mean, I'm very selective when it comes to purchasing Transformers, and those purchases are based almost exclusively on the aesthetic of the toy. I really could care less about his/her personality in a poorly written children's show. Designs that I find personally disappointing, simply make a show difficult if not impossible to watch. The same can be said of horrific animation.

19. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Turned away because of RID, but came back at Armada.

20. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

I feel that aesthetics affect our choices for every film we watch.