Heavy/Scratch: Aerialbots: WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Alteron_Sheng, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've mentioned this crew once or twice now, and thought I might as well show some of what I've done to them
    ----
    Whenever I go to make some serious modifications to a toy, I tend to make a 'copy' of it out of foam board and poster board so I can chop it up and see different configurations as I work, see where I need hinges, pegs, check clearance and rub issues and so on.

To make this set I've bought three armada thundercrackers and one armada starscream, all four of whom were in HORRIBLE condition when I bought them (I tend to buy damaged toys to kitbash as a general rule). I've got the harrier, eagle, phantom and falcon models en-route to my house for re-shelling, I will be getting a new batch of FixIt sometime soon and so on

I do have a question: Does anyone know where I can buy some good, tight plastic hinges? I've always made due with my parts bin, but I don't have enough matching toys to do a set of eight for the hinges I need. (Hinge needs to be about 0.75" long)
    (Thanks to those who gave me advice on hinges, I'm hunting around for the ones mentioned to see if they'll work for this project!)

their upper arms are in the process of getting swivel joints, and I'm slowly removing the scramjets from their backs (Two of them were missing them to start with ANYWAY) and debating new hands to give them, or at least wrist swivels.

Update: 4/06
    The damaged jet model kits finally arrived (My cousin had the correct models and sent them to me for free since they were all opened and damaged)
    I decided that poor ignored Slingshot would be the first one I worked on. His hips are on ball-joints that can swivel up and down to make his body longer and less boxy.
    The only salvagable parts from the Harrier kit have been added to him, his nose cone can swing down and I'm now waiting for my latest order of styrene to arrive so I can make the rest of the jet mode (general plan is to have that huge segment of jet that sticks out from his shoulders fold down to form the traditional aerialbot 'backpack'.
    Ball joints for the wings (so they can swing back and around) will be added soon, as will the hinges for the hollow-cover and the head.

Update: 4/07
    Alright this time I remembered to type up what I'd DONE (sorry, have the flu and dislocated my hip again so not thinking clearly)
    I also sorted out the four 'modes' for bot, jet, arm, leg. And now I've a new odd question.
    Anyone out there know of a junk lot with ROTF 'the Fallen' feet? If I switch out the Aerialbots' current feet with those they'll double as hands in 'arm-mode' and create a wider and more stable foot in 'leg-mode'... If anyone knows of anything of a simular size that can open and close like the Fallen's feet, I'd be much obliged.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

You know, some nice plastic hinges i've seen before are the kind that are used for RC airplanes. They might get a bit pricey, but if they can smoothly move ailerons and what-not, it might work. Also, you should be able to get them from any hobby store.
    One downside is that i'm not sure how well paint would stick to them. If you go that route i'd recomend buying just one and testing it first. i think some may be made out of nylon, which wouldn't work very well.
    Hope that at least puts you in the right direction.

Randy!

3. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Hmm, yeah it's gonna be hard to find a good durable hinge that size & secure it without it coming off. Those nylon hinges at the hobby shop Bigbot3030 was talking about are really strong and flexible, but hard to secure without actually putting tiny screws through them. I've tried some pretty strong welder cement on them instead, but they flex too much & come off that nylon too easy. I actually ended up using the smallest pop-rivets I could find, but you have to deal with the head of the rivet aesthetically.

Here's a pic of those nylon hinges. On E-bay there's a lot of dollhouse hinges to choose from, but again, you need some really strong adhesive or cement to keep 'em from comin' off.

Attached Files:

4. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Hey, thanks guys! the hinges I need are less for the airlerons and more for swinging the chest down and the head up. I'll look into those hinges though, does nylon take dye at all?
    If it needs screws I'm not too worried about it, as I've added screws for stability before (just have to remember to grind a depression in the plastic so the screw and hinge and flush with the rest ^_^; I always forget to do that...)
    I'm digging through my k'nex and skeleflex parts, seeing if I have anything that'll work at least for the chest hinge, though I guess I could use my metal hinges worst comes to worst.
    But again, thank you for the help, I'm checking out doll house hinges right now to see if any of those will work

5. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Update!
    Added images of Slingshot in-progress
    Erm, I'm working with a badly damaged Starscream toy and badly damaged jet model kits, so please keep that in mind?
    Thanks

6. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    So ummm, yeah it probably would have helped if I'd, y'know, remembered to actually type up the update when I updated. ^_^;
    Once I can get my camera-phone to work again (only camera I've got) I'll take a picture of his jet-mode thus far, it actually works very well.