Heavy/Scratch: Aerialbots WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by caretaker27, Jan 14, 2009.

1. caretaker27

caretaker27 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Credit goes out to Ptitvite for his awesome air raid WIP from months ago. Since then quite a few nice versions have been posted, and I know more are on the way. here is a look at my attempt.

They will combine, using primus as a body base, primus hands and a modded primus head. The feet are yet to be determined.

These guys used a lot of modding and there is plenty more to be done.

They are:
    Silverbolt-Silverbolt (Uni 2.0)
    Air Raid-Skywarp (Classics)
    Fireflight-Ramjet/Divebomb (Classics/TFTM)
    Skydive-Ramjet/Divebomb (Classics/TFTM)
    Slingshot-Starscream/Starscream (Classics/BW II)

I started painting a uni silverbolt into darkwind before the exclusive was announced, so now he will be a simple repaint into cartoon colors, Air Raid remains an F-15 and Fireflight will be a Ramjet clone with a TFTM Divebomb head. I hacked up a TFTM Divebomb and "reshelled" another ramjet into Skydive using "green stuff" putty and ramjets face, lastly Slingshot uses starscream (classics) wings, body and head (with some green stuff again as goggles) and uses BWII star scream for the jet nose, and tail fins.

The colors will represent the cartoon versions when all is done.

my biggest issue now is how to work the plane noses. i do not think i have the skill to use a fulcrum like the originals, though if i did i would have to use 2 (one on either side of the center as that is where the head/neck peice is attached) any way my new idea is rare earth magnets in the nose and figure's back. the plane noses stay fine in plane mode currently. hit me with any comments or suggestions you have please.

Attached Files:

2. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

I like your Skydive.
    Was going to suggest REM,but you're already looking at that.

What will you be doing for the open chest hole?

3. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

This looks really good. Nice choice of models, and it looks like the modding is off to a good start. Excellent!

4. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

I am so jealous that everyone is getting their aerialbots out before me. :lol  But on the plus side I am getting some great ideas on different modifications. These are looking really good. Thanks for posting the works in progress so we can see how your modifing them.

5. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    cant wait to see them done.

6. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

I totally agree! I love to see others' ideas...gives me a lot more direction sometimes. There is always an angle I forgot to think of.

7. caretaker27

caretaker27 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i will be filling them in with "green stuff" putty. the holes are no longer neccessary for the transformations.

does anyone know where to get rare earth magnets? I'm sure i could do a search but you guys may have better sources from experience. also if you paint over REMs do they lose any potency? thanks again.

8. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

i bought some from ebay for cheap. i painted over them with enamel paint and the paint came off rather easily. maybe someone knows what to do about that, i dunno. and i dont think paint will effect the potency

good luck with superions, cant wait to see him

9. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

I would use it for the connector peices to go, you could hide them real easy in there

10. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/

As for painting,don't do it. Use something like finger nail polish or even superglue to coat the surface of the magnet first then paint after it dries.

As for the use on the Aeriobots,drill a hole just a tad too small for the magnet.
    Then use a roundfile to open the hole up enough for the magnet to fit nice and tight but not flush with the surface area.About four or five pieces of paper depth.
    Next get some epoxy resin (Target,Wal-mart-has one for bonding to plastic that's great) and coat over the magnet(filling in the depth) on the surface area and on the hidden side. When cured you can sand it down and paint.

Here's a link to FR's guide to doing this........

http://www.frenzyrumble.com/magnet_tutorial.html

If you look at his Dragstrip Stunticon you can see the magnet in the arms.