ADVICE: Which anime should I watch?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ubertenorman, Mar 26, 2012.

1. ubertenorman

ubertenorman Well-Known Member

I'm considering starting an anime, however, I have no idea where to start. I have watched a couple before, namely Full Metal Panic and FMP Fumoffu (sp?).

Any advice? Among other things, I like TFs (obviously), Doctor Who, comic book movies (don't read many though), Futurama, Arrested Development, Firefly.

Willing to watch either a comedy or drama.

I only really have access to Netflix, so please try to take that into account.

Thanks a bunch! :) 

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Crest of the Stars or Legend of the Galactic Heroes, maybe?

Or the old Macross series (or its recent incarnation, Macross Frontier)

Or Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Or Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex

How do you feel about watching films instead of a series?

3. optronix72

optronix72 Autobot

Ebay:
    Dont know if ironman or the xmen anime is on netflix but macross is good.

4. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Those come out on video in the US sometime in April and I am counting down the days.

I'll echo Macross. Also recommend Cowboy Bebop.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, shit, how did I miss Cowboy Bebop?

6. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    For sure don't start with Legend of Galactic Heroes. It is good, but it is really complex and can get a little slow with all the politics going on, also it's 110 episodes long. If you are totally new to anime in general I'd say start with something more modern before you dip into the gold of the past for no other reason than the animation is better.

My recommendations would be:

Code Geass
    Black Lagoon
    Gurren Lagann
    Big-O

If, for whatever reason, you want to start with some classics:

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross- The first and imo, still the best!

Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team- A short ova to dip your toes in the deep waters of the Gundam universe.

Armored Trooper VOTOMS- It might be hard to find and there is a lot of different ovas and movies to keep track of but it's an amazing franchise for sci-fi and/or real robot fans.

Oh and for some comedy I recently discovered "Irresponsible Captain Tylor". Loved it!

7. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

^I forgot all about 08th MS Team. I adored that anime. Gundam 0080 was decent too IMO. And not too long IIRC.

8. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Don't watch Ironman. That one isn't very good. Don't know about X-men though.

9. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    X-men was the best of the bunch, but none of the marvel animes were very good imo. I wouldn't recommend them to someone starting out by any means.

10. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Neon Genesis Evangelion (watch the series and the movie before going on to the newer movie remakes)
    FLCL (fooly cooly)
    Cowboy Bebop
    Trigun
    Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
    Ghost in the Shell 2nd Gig
    Samurai Champloo
    Gurren Laggan
    Samurai X
    Corpse Princess (Shikabane Hime)
    Van Helsing
    Samurai 7

If you're streaming from Netflix you can also try crunchyroll.com They've got a few good shows to choose from every now and then. Also, a couple I listed above are only available as DVD's from Netflix. I know Evangelion is one, along with Cowboy Bebop I think. Happy watching!

11. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Cowboy Bebop is pretty good
    A bit overrated, but still a good watch, Death Note. Sure, it's over-hyped, but with only 37 episodes, it's pretty good

12. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    After watching all of Evangelion I wished I had ONLY watched the recent movie remakes. Same story, but told in a more cohesive way with better animation to boot!

So much this. I can't believe I left it out of my own list.

13. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    If you watch NGE, be prepared to loose some sleep. It starts out pretty normal, but starts getting really dark and disturbing halfway through. End of Evangelion is a total mindfuck.

Not trying to put you off the series, but you need to know. I had some idea of what to expect, but I still wasn't prepared. I'd say there's a 90% chance it will change your life and keep your mind busy for a month.

I loved it in the end, and the Rebuild movies are fantastic. Give it a shot if you have the time.

14. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

15. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure what's on Netflix, since I don't use it, but some of my favorites:

- Gurren Lagann
    - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    - Cowboy Bebop
    - Anything from Studio Ghibli, if you're looking for a movie instead of a series

That's also about the point where the animation budget started to run out, IIRC. I enjoyed Evangelion myself but, in terms of being prepared for what to expect, the latter half of the series has a lot of scenes with dialogue over still shots...and it gets progressively worse as the show goes on. The Rebuild movies don't have the same problem.

16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A total mindfuck without any real point, might I add.

It just got weird for the sake of being weird, and so that they could hide the lack of budget with a whole crapload of talky psycho-babble. Blech. I'm not a fan of Evangelion in its original form. Good underpinnings, but the final product reflects so heavily on Hideaki Anno's fractured mental state throughout its development that the plot suffers for it.

The new "Rebuild" movies, on the other hand, are fantastic. But we're only at 2 of 4 so far...

For Anime with more western sensibilities in mind, try:

Beck
    Cowboy Bebop
    Witch Hunter Robin
    Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex
    Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex: Second Gig
    Eden of the East

Those should all be pretty accessible, and not too far out there. Ghost in the Shell is saturated with futurist psychobabble, though. If you're familiar with sci-fi stories from the likes of Ray Bradbury or Isaac Asimov and the like, though, GitS likes to extrapolate a lot from that general atmosphere. It's really good.

If Ghost in the Shell sits alright with you, then you might look into some other head-trippy, psychological animes. Notable ones that I've seen are:

Serial Experiments Lain (an oldie, but still surprisingly relevant)
    RahXephon (superficially similar to the aforementioned Evangelion, but more consistently paced and a much better payoff)
    Ergo Proxy (cyberpunk meets existentialist mind screw)

Or, if you want to go more "out there", and experience anime at full blast, showcasing everything it has to offer, then try:

FLCL
    Gurren Lagann
    Code Geass
    Soul Eater
    Eureka seveN
    Samurai Champloo (spiritual successor to Cowboy Bebop. A bit more surreal, due to its juxtaposition of modern hip-hop stylings with Edo-era Japan, but it's just as good in its own rights)
    Fullmetal Panic
    Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (being the most recent complete Gundam series, probably the most accessible. Older series of course have their hardcore fans, but their dated sensibilities present a fairly high entry barrier)

And there's also Death Note, which sits somewhere inbetween all of those, with a fairly western-sensible cat-and-mouse serial killer/detective story, but tends to overplay the drama to levels of absurdity.

In a more fantasy/pulp adventure vein, I might recommend:

The Vision of Escaflowne
    Fullmetal Alchemist (there's two different series here. The most recent iteration has the "Brotherhood" subtitle. The latter follows the original manga more faithfully, while the original diverges and does its own thing about halfway through. Both are great in their own rights, though)
    Read or Die
    R.O.D. the TV (the TV series sequel to Read or Die)

On the comedy front, most of what you find out there will be "slice-of-life" comedies, featuring high-school kids going about their daily lives (and the misadventures therein). For fans of this genre, I think a lot of people would agree that anything produced by Kyoto Animation is at the top of this game, featuring gorgeous animation with sparkling production values, and excellent comedic timing with a sharp, self-referential wit. Their notable productions would include:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (two seasons and a movie so far) - this one's a bit genre busting, combining slice-of-life comedy with a bizarre sci-fi premise that allows it freedom to satirize pretty much any anime genre under the sun. The movie pretty much drops the comedic pretenses and becomes straight-up, moody drama.

Lucky Star - an anime version of Seinfeld if you will. Just a series of mildly inter-related skits about a group of four highschool girls who muse about the often trivial aspects of their lives, often with a heavy anime-centric voice because it's primary character is a major otaku. Relies heavily on general anime knowledge, and previous experience with Kyoto's previous works (Haruhi, and the later two seasons of Fullmetal Panic!), so not really an entry-level show.

K-On! - my least favourite of the Kyoto franchises, but not without its fans. About a group of highschool girls that start a light rock band. More of a pleasant "crack a smile" sort of comedic tone, rather than anything gut-bustingly funny, which is why it didn't strike the same chord with me as the other Kyoto shows.

Air
    Kanon
    Clannad + After Story - these last three are... complicated. They initially present themselves as sharp-witted high school comedies with romantic overtones, but twist themselves into puppet-masters, nailing you with emotional sucker-punches like you have never experienced in your life. Many will say that Clannad changed their outlook on life, usually for the better.

As you get more accustomed to anime, my highest recommendation is that you really pay attention to anything produced by Studio Bones. Of anyone in the industry, their works are consistently top-notch, featuring unparalleled production values and wild stories.

17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    That's what 10 years of animation tech and a budget increase get you dude.

You and me both, NGE was the anime that got me into the medium in the first place.....my perceptions of media and story have never been the same since.

That was about the point where I believe the executives (looking to abuse Japanese bankruptcy and tax law I'm told) started embezzelling from the show so that it would fail.....needless to say they're in jail and Anno has the respect and adoration of fans worldwide....even if he does think most of them are shiftless tossers who need to get a life :p 

In short, yes, I recommend Evangelion as well. I also recommend Teknoman.

18. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    Well no shit, but someone was recommending this new anime fan to watch the old crap when the new hotness is available. I was just trying to give a different viewpoint.

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I feel that if you're going to watch Evangelion, you need to watch the old show. Although for new people, watching Rebuild first is a must, gives a good distillation for the first six episodes at least plus an appreciation for how much changed in the past decade.

I was lucky enough to enjoy the talky of Evangelion, and at the time I felt the animation was pretty wonderful. Still do, but seeing the show first increases my appreciation for Rebuild hugely.

20. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Fullmetal Alchemist, too