Advice Wanted - Selling G.I.Joe IDW Collection

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by glazios, Aug 5, 2016.

1. glazios

glazios Chaotic Bastard

Facebook:
    First things first: This is not a sales thread. I know that Hisstank is probably the more appropriate place for this, but I don't have an account over there, and it feels like bad form to just waltz in and set up a sales thread with my first post. Admins, please feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong place.

I've been going through my comics collection lately, and I'm looking to sell off my IDW G.I.Joe stuff. There's probably enough to fill a short comic box; there's a couple of one-issue gaps here and there, but for the most part it's a pretty-much complete run of the various ongoing titles, A Real American Hero, and most miniseries from the start of IDW's licence, up until I stopped collecting comics in January 2015. I'm hoping to part with it as a job lot; I don't have space to keep it around, nor the time/inclination to sell it off piecemeal over a prolonged period.

I'm considering an account over at YoJoe; they have a 30-day trial option, but it'll probably take longer than that to shift, and I don't really want to pay for an account.

Any advice would be helpful at this point. The shop where I purchased much of my collection has a no buy-back policy on comics/graphic novels for hygiene reasons, so that's a no-go; I do have a more local comic shop nearby, but he's really not a very nice person (<- putting it politely) and I have no interest in doing any kind of business with him just on general principle.

I'm just looking for some advice on where might be the best place to put up a listing, other than eBay. Also, some advice on pricing would help too. I'm working up an inventory list of the collection as I post this.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE 11/11/2018: NOW SOLD ON FACEBOOK, THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Are there any comic boards that you could list it on, not necessarily Joe boards?

I'm not going to lie to you, modern era Joe comics grace many a comic store discount bin. You might not get as much as you're hoping for.

3. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

sell them at a yard sale

• Like Like x 1
  4. glazios

glazios Chaotic Bastard

Facebook:
    I don't really frequent any comic forums, mainly just here, Seibertron and TFArchive; I'm more of a TF fan than a Joe fan.

I'm not really looking to make a profit, here. I just don't want them any more, and would prefer them to go to a good home, so to speak. As I mentioned in my original post, the shop where I had my standing order won't buy comics second-hand for hygiene reasons, and my local comic shop isn't an option just on principle.

5. glazios

glazios Chaotic Bastard

Facebook:
    Really not a lot of those around here, and as I said to Aeranoth, I'd prefer them to go to a good home.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I would advise you to search for a few comic forums to join then.

7. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You'd be lucky if you got even $1 per issue.

8. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Hygienic reasons? What the heck to do people do with comic books these days?

9. glazios

glazios Chaotic Bastard

Facebook:
    In all fairness, I volunteered at the shop for a couple of years and I can kind-of see where the boss was coming from, as there were one or two standing-order customers who did have skin conditions; one guy had pretty bad eczema, and another had something a bit more serious, I think; he was always covered up and made a point to not handle shop floor stock without gloves. Also, we were forever asking people to please not handle stock after sneezing.

10. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Pretty much this, unless you have some incentive covers, just put them up as lots on ebay and pray for the best.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

That's a new one for me. Never heard of a comic shop doing that.

Comic Book STDs. CBTDs? Oh please let that be the new term for it.

12. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL at the comic shop going with the stereotype that comic nerds are dirty filthy people. Sure must suck when they pay in cash. All those nerd germs infecting the register. Sweaty basement dwellers touching the money. Hope he gets a new cash drawer every few days and burns the old one just hopefully not spread the geek plague.

• Like Like x 1
  13. glazios

glazios Chaotic Bastard

Facebook:
    Nice, guys. Really mature of you. Evidently you've never spent time behind the counter at a comic shop, where you may have to be understanding of customers with eczema and other, more-serious skin conditions, and asking off-the-street randomers to please not handle the stock after sneezing into their hands...or just plain old sneezing directly onto the stock itself.

14. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Can't say I ever have. Sounds pretty gross.

I don't know though, while what you described skeeves me out, I'm not all that worried about used comic germs. Mostly because I've never thought about it before.

Now I'm going to wonder if I'm holding someone's bathroom reading material. Great.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I worked in a comic shop for years, and I've never heard of this anal compulsive germ phobia stuff. People read comics. That is kind of what they are for. If you are buying a back issue, chances are good that a human being has touched it at some point.

16. glazios

glazios Chaotic Bastard

Facebook:
    Boss was kind of a clean freak, it's just the way he was. If anything, it taught me to wash my hands when the opportunity presented itself.

17. glazios

glazios Chaotic Bastard

Facebook:
    I honestly doubt that's ever going to be the case. Most bacterial residue dies pretty quickly if it doesn't have the right conditions. Still not a pleasant thought, I agree - but it makes you think, doesn't it?

18. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would put a craigslist ad up and ask about 20% cover price. eBay is going to be to much of a hassle when all is said and done.

I don't hold onto to floppies anymore, if it's something I might read again I'll get the trade or digital. A comics collection takes up way too much space and has no real display value. I used to eBay twice a year but I wasn't making enough to hassle with it anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  19. glazios

glazios Chaotic Bastard

Facebook:
    Thread update. Eventually sold it as a job lot on Facebook. Went to a good home. Mods may close thread if you please. Cheers for the advice guys.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    You don't take a book into the bathroom with you? I've read that the toothbrush is contaminated if it's closer than 6 feet to the bowl.

I've sold off big chunks of my comic collection. I did it two ways, through craigslist and my local shop. The local shop appraised my collection and made me an offer. I had people buy issues on craigslist but it was VERY time consuming.

You might have to drive around to find a shop that is willing to buy. Otherwise your best bet might be to get lucky and hope someone will take them off your hands, or just donate them to a local library.