Advice- Selling Comics

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Paladin, May 11, 2007.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I am planning on selling my entire comic collection to help pay for some BotCon expenses; and I need some help/advice for it.

I have the entire run of Marvel, including the spin-off series and mini-series (G1, G2, Headmasters, Movie, Universe, G.I. Joe vs. TFs, G.I. Joe Snake Eyes w/G2 TFs, etc.); 1-3 of "TFs in 3-D"; 2 & 4 of "How to Draw TFs"; every issue of every TF series Dreamwave ever made (variants and exclusives too); Epoch of the Cybertron #0-0; Comic Smorgasboard #1, every single variant cover of the BotCon Universe #1, #2, and #3; TFCC Magazine #1, a few of the BotCon Wreckers comics (missing 2 out of that line); and every issue of every TF series from IDW up until the end of the first G1 series; plus a few other miscellaneous TF comics.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how I should sell them? Should I do it as one huge lot; break them down by publisher; or break them down by series? I really don't want to sell them individually since only a few will go for a lot and the rest will be less than retail.

If you have any advice; or are interested in buying some or all of them (please contact me via PM or email for a price); please let me know!! Thank you in advance!

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, you should post this in the "Comics" forum as the "right" forum members can provide you with better advice...sorry, I can't help ya because I haven't sold any of my comics at all but I would sell them by the "series".

3. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Let me know how it goes. I've been thinking about parting with my comic collection as well.

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

A few years ago, when I first moved out on my own, one of the first things I did to make a little extra cash was to sell off my comics collection. At that point, I'd been collecting for about 12 years or so and had a pretty sizeable collection. I tried to sell them to a local store, but they were only willing to buy old and rare stuff and some of the more independent, low print run comics, not the mainstream Superman, X-Men and Spider-Man comics I had. I put an ad in the paper (this was pre-eBay) and I sold most of it to a couple of collectors. The one thing I learned about selling was...

...comics and collectibles are only worth about as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

It doesn't matter what Wizard magazine says a comic is worth, it doesn't matter what someone else paid for it on eBay, if someone is only willing to pay $3 for something a price guide says is worth $20, then it's only worth $3. It was a harsh lesson to learn and probably the main reason I won't selling anything off ever again.

Yes, there are rare exceptions, but the collectible market is not a big money-making market unless you've got something that nobody else has and that everybody else wants.

5. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since they are all TF comics, I'd put them up on the for sale page here on the boards. This is the target market you are looking for. If the comics are in good condition, they should go. If you really want them to go quickly, you'll have to be reasonable in your pricing. A little under guide/E-bay goes a long ways in attracting buyers.

If that fails, and you have a comic shop in your area, you could try to dump them there. Given the movie coming up, most shops should be intrested in them. Just be prepaired to accept an offer of about half guid or less. They will want to resale them for a profit you know.