Customs: Advice requested for extra fine detailing

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by eltonlin98, Apr 18, 2018.

1. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 Museum Victories

News Credits:
    Hey all, I've decided that I want to fill in the silver outlines of MPM-4's flames to some shade of blue to replicate a more movie accurate appearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've looked into fine detailing options such as Gundam and Sharpie paint pens/markers, but I've either found them to be too stubby to do linework with or am worried about their durability/application. Does anybody know any good methods I can use to do this tracework that would not require the use of more advanced tools such as an airbrush? Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yaujta

Yaujta NOT Randy Butternubs. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Honestly, I haven't seen good flame outlining on a figure that wasn't a decal for ages, if ever. On something this size, hand painting the pinstriping either ends up too thick ir, in most cases, sloppy under scrutiny.
    I used to do pinstriping on helmets and motorcycles, and it always required as long bristle thin brush or masking with vinyl pinstripe tape.
    That is what I would suggest here, the tape. You can get it in extremely thin widths, and it's pretty cheap on Amazon, but even then it still may end up thicker that you want.

• Like Like x 1
  3. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 Museum Victories

News Credits:
    Thanks for the honest response. It's mildly amusing and frustrating that HasTak chose to do silver flame outlines rather than blue (though I suppose logically they pop more), but even the boxart has this detail. I suppose they're holding out for DOTM Optimus whenever that may be

My skills with designing textures, let alone stencils, is pure garbage right now. A project like this would take awhile to master as I can't trace flames for the life of me

4. Yaujta

Yaujta NOT Randy Butternubs. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Flames aren't the easiest things to paint. Sure, they're basically just concentric elongated circles, but they aren't good unless they're sharp edged and evenly applied.

One thing you could look into are decals. There are many decal kits available for standard printers that include flames as templates.
    Also, some hobby places like Hobby Lobby carry pine derby car decals, and I know I have seen flames there as well.

5. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Closest l ever came was usi g a very fine pointed scribing tool and "etching" a very thin line outlining the flames. Then did a very light wash with silver lacquer and wiped the excess immediately.

The results were good for an experiment, however your precision will definitely affect the outcome. I could see getting good results with practice. The example below is on a Leader sized Prime.

My thought was the gloss coat would help "fill in" and level the surface but never got to that step.

20180419_134014.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. erwinsims

erwinsims Well-Known Member

That is an awesome idea!
    To scratch it in with a modellers knive and fill it in with paint.. now I want to try that on my HFTD Prime..
    thanks!