Advice on zero feedback bidders?

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by frenzyrumble, May 1, 2009.

1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    From time to time, I've had ebay members w/ zero feedback ask if they can bid on some of my customs auctioned. I've never let them do so, for a few reasons. To begin with, I think they are more inclined to cause non-payment issues. Secondly, I think it's disrespectful to other bidders who've accredited themselves with good or any feedback.

What are your guys thoughts on this? I've seen many auctions that have a "no feedback - no bid" policy, and would like to know some other reasons or thoughts to why I should deny those bids (or possibly accept them)

2. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well i guess it works both ways, for instance you wouldnt bid on an item from a seller with zero feedback (at least i never do) so i guess it is just a good way of seeing that they are capable of paying on time etc although not every ebay user wants to cause you grief some are genuine

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends on the value of the item.

I sold some stamps for 99p once, and I think the winner had zero feedback and I had no problems with him/her.

Would I sell anything above a fiver? Doubtful.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Cool, thanks guys. I am asking cause I had a few interested in bidding on the Devastator auction I currently have live. I state in the rules that I won't permit zero feedback bids, actually I have this text on there:

- I will not accept and bids from bidders with 0 feedback or recent negative feedback ratings. This keeps bidding honest. I monitor all bids, and those with zero or no feedback will be deleted. If you are a new ebay member and really really want to bid, contact me, and I will see what I can do. There have been many interested bidders without any feedback on my prior auctions. If this pertains to you - contact me and I will see what I can do.

I don't think it's fair nor right to allow them to bid, considering the current auction's price range.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Why do you tell them to ask about bidding when you won't let them anyway?

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    There's always the chance they might be able to back up their bid/interest with paypal info or something privately. On occassion, I've also had several with interest create a 2nd account because they share their primary account with a wife or spouse which wouldn't approve of dropping cash on a custom. If the paypal account is separate/new and private, the angry wife won't find out about the purchase. It's happened only 1 time so far, and usually I *might* let the bids slide, but only towards the front/beginning of the auction, not at the end.

7. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

If I would put my self in your shoes, it may be necessary to clause your items like that due to the fact that, hey, who on thier very first purchase is going to buy one of your creations, y'know? It's time man, wasted time and effort isn't worth not getting paid, I hate the wait and the agony of being fluffed along.

Or make a crude name possibly to stay anonymous in-case they have fan-followers who watch their bidding activity, but ebay has all but crushed that BS like 2 years ago by hiding bidders names, so I dont see the point anymore of anon names?

So, I think it's probably safe to have an ideal on your auctions like this, but, still, anyone at anytime might not pay an item and slice their rep, but toi each thier own, if ther was a percentage on how many potentials you are closing the door on, I'd wager to say it would be a insignificant number.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I always state in my auctions that zero feedback bidders should contact me before they place a bid; if they actually do, they're usually serious about it. The last zero feedback bidder who didn't contact me first used BIN on something I was selling, and fucked about on payment BADLY. I started a dispute, after putting up with bullshit excuses for several weeks, and he negged me the same day and sent me abusive emails. I told eBay; they removed the neg he left and suspended him.

9. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    You know, I've always wondered about these stories. When I put something up on ebay I pretty much say "No IFs, Ands, or Buts". Then I think that all bidders have to start somewhere, right? But now I see why, after what I read.

10. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The first time I ever bid on ebay, I didn't notice the 'no zero feedback' on the guy's auction. Just too excited about the item.

Well, I noticed my error and emailed the seller soon as I did. He was cool about it, I paid immediately, got my first postive and all was well.

I've nothing against blocking zero feedback bidders, but I would put in a clause that if they contacted you, it'd be allright. Typically, if they do so, they're serious.

But, at the end of the day, you've got to take the steps you feel are necessary to protect yourself, especially with Ebay being screwy towards sellers lately.

11. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

Well, i only had 1 feedback (just never trusted buying stuff from ebay), but have recently taken the plunge and it sucks for us with 0-little feedback. I was able to convince this guy to allow me to bid on an energon OS recently and i won. What i told him was that i'd pay the same night. And he was nice enough to let me bid. I haven't received the toy yet, but it has supposedly shipped out. So hopefully, there's still some nice people out there who give people a chance. But i can understand that peeps are hesitant to let low rated people bid, especially if they've been burnt before.

12. patobot

patobot ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝ Scanning ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝

I've never sold on ebay but personally I tend to refrain on bidding when I see one or more 0 (or very low) feedback bidders. I usually have a price in mind though so if they don't come close to it doesn't matter. Just my 2 cents.

13. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    With your high value items it is a tough call. It could go either way, is it a potential high end client who just needs to have the item, or is it a scammer. If I were in your shoes, with many nice and expensive items, I would not take 0 bidders (yea, everyone needs to start somewhere, but they shouldn't be starting with a high end custom item). I know you are pretty active on these boards, I would maybe have them PM you through these boards if they are an active member. Their posts on here should say a little something about them and their persona (but it may take more time than it is worh for you).

Sorry to drag on. I would tell 0 bidders no, but would tell them that you would be willing to do commission work for them. This may give you a little more protection and time to see how legit they are.

14. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    New bidders gotta start somewhere.

My policy has always been to wait for the dough, then send the loot.

Incidentally, he only times I've ever had trouble with bidders taking their time paying they have had feedback over 100 in all instances. All of the recent 0 bid buyers I've dealt with have paid immediately at auction end. They see eager to prove themselves.

15. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

Tis I!

16. Digital Jesus

Digital Jesus Devastator's big left toe

This one is real easy FR, and it's probably too late to institute it for this particular auction, but use it in the future, I use it for all of my high end auctions.

Tell zero-feedbackers they have to contact you via email for pre-bid approval. Once the person emails you, have them give you their name and a phone number where they can be reached in 5 minutes for verification. Explain that you don't want to seem like a Hitler, but with the high price of your auctions and protection from previous problems, these are the rules. If they are serious, they will abide. You can quickly google the name/number to see what comes up, but otherwise call them and as long as you get a human sounding thing on the other end, you're PROBABLY not dealing with a scammer.

It's worked for me several times. Hell, I've allowed the bid without talking to them because they were so professional and well spoken via email and happy to provide a number that I just believed sight-unseen. Well, voice-unheard would be the correct euphamisim.