Advice on TF's and Wife

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by masishadow, May 30, 2011.

1. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Title says most of it. My wife likes to buy shoes, clothes, electronics. I like to buy Transformers and video games. She sees my spending as stupid because my items have no use other than my enjoyment.

My wife it's awesome, it's just this issue of "buying toys" that she gets a little irked at me for, but I rarely spend money, and occasionally want to splurge. Splurge as in Animated Botcon 2011 set that's calling my name.

Any with similar issues/advice?

Thanks in advance.

2. Grim Wanderer

Grim Wanderer Well-Known Member

This...this probably isn't the best place to come for advice on handling women.

3. masishadow

News Credits:
    Yeah, not gonna ask my buddies how make toys and women go together (non-gutter statement.) Hopefully there's someone else that has a wife that gives them the evil eye for their collection and have lived to tell about it.

4. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

Remind her that your first & only love will always be the sea!

But really, this is one of those areas that you have to be VERY aware of in terms of what's "my money" and what's "our money". And both of you should be able to recognize the other's right to have your own aspects of life that are your own.

5. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    This. And just tell her that it's only one thing and the good thing about it is that it increases it's value so when you get old and stuff, sell that and be rich!

6. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

did she know you collect toys before you were married? if she's ok with it before why is it not ok now. or she just doesn't mind when it was your money, but now you're spending 'our' money it's suddenly not ok.

7. Hal7300

Hal7300 Wrecker

Ask her if you can wear her shoes ;) 

8. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So basically she likes to spend money on stuff she doesn't need and you like to spend money on stuff that you don't need.

As long as the bills are paid on time, I don't see the problem. Granted with clothes and shoes one can argue that those are necessary... but how many clothes/shoes do you need?

That's not true. From an investment point of veiw toys are NOT a good investment.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  9. Geezertron

Geezertron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Oh yeah, the "these toys will be worth a lot of money later on when I sell them" angle works pretty well.

My wife doesn't give me any crap about my "toys" (they're collectible figures, dammit!), because we have a budget that we follow. As long as we each pay our designated bills and contribute our set amounts to savings each month, we can buy whatever we want. Using a budget has really saved us from bickering over money.

10. masishadow

News Credits:
    I feel like I'm saying it too seriously with collectible figures. Movie figures for me are toys, but japanese TFA are collectible :p 

Well, I mean, through her being so responsible with money, I learned to be responsible with money. I used to be constantly behind on every kind of bill. I manage money better now, so we're fine and have money in savings. Both college students, but we have a much better life than the majority of...omg I can't afford a dollar burrito at Taco Bell kind of college students we have around here.

She doesn't spend a lot of money either, we both save well, but I think splurging when you have the means should be ok. My reasoning is...I'm selling my PS3 that I rarely play to get me a botcon 2011 set. She sees it as, how can you pay $300-400 for a set of 5 transformers. It's worth it to me, not to her.

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    So, she doesn't like to see you enjoying yourself?

If that's the case, tell her to get lost.

12. masishadow

News Credits:
    I think it might have something to do with her being native Chinese and her family not buying "impractical" things. It really does amaze me how, for example, her aunt whose in the US working at a (stereotypical I know) nail shop can sacrifice all of her personal enjoyment, not spend a dime of it, and send the entire amount back to her son and daughter in law in China.

And I can see from the perspective of someone who doens't have the passion...transformers can be a damned expensive hobby, especially for a college student.

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

The answer you're looking for here is pretty much the answer for every question regarding a relationship: Compromise. My girlfriend and I both take care of our bills and necessities (food and such), and then we both have our hobbies which gets whatever spare fundage we have. Two working adults should be able to spend spare money the way they see fit.

Plus I keep her happy by giving her a $100 every now and then, so she can buy what she wants with my money. Also keeps me in check from going too overboard with the TFs. Because I would. I cut down on fast food too. More people should.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Botcon toys? Wife coming from a stingy Chinese culture?

Yeah, you should have told her the set was fifty bucks.

15. Suchus Prime

Suchus Prime Well-Known Member

Ignore, ignore, and ignore some more. Dude if there is one thing all women are it is hypocritical (Wel of course not all but you get what I mean). They say one thing is wrong but don't realize that they do the same thing or similar. When i was into yugioh my girlfriend would always complain about how I spent $140+ on a deck but when she bought a $200 make up set didn't say a word (Most of the cost of that damn thing came form the absurd amount of gold they used on it).

16. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As a femme collector myself, I just can't imagine this problem but I guess it happens.
    So..she doesn't have a hobby or craft that she spends $$ on?? If not, then you both should sit down and decide how much $$ that BOTH of you can spend for "non-essential" items..or if she buys an extra pair of shoes..you get to squirrel away the matching amount of $$ for TF's. Just keep things fair and balanced. :2c: 

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Being of Chinese descent myself, I seriously doubt her racial background has anything to do with it. You should see the number of 'impractical' things my own family members purchase.

I think her financial background might have more to do with these circumstances. Is she from mainland China, by any chance? Over there, your average family isn't particularly affluent and therefore extremely frugal.

But then again, none of that is obviously a deterrent to her own spending. Shoes, clothes and electronics, you say. She sounds like a hypocrite to me.

18. masishadow

News Credits:
    Thanks for that Fosterlager :p 

moreprimeland, not really any hobbies. Aside from essentials, we're both very easy to please, but I have more non-essential interests than her. She might spend a bunch of time looking for a dress she really likes, to which I can't say anything because she's doing it because she wants to look pretty and she wants to look pretty for me. We do work, we do pay our bills, we are financially in a good place, especially for students, but I think everything will be easier when I graduate and start making "real money."

Reminds me of an ex-girlfriend I had who, for my birthday, asked if I wanted something fun or something useful. I said, fun of course, and she said, dammit, I'll return it then.

19. masishadow

News Credits:
    Well I think it's a little racial and mostly familial. Her family is financially pretty well off, but still relatively frugal, except for her mom who spends a lot on clothes/ shoes/ makeup. Her dad is easy, drinking and playing mahjong.

I wouldn't say she's a hypocrite. She just doesn't have anything like this sort of hobby, and neither of us really buy things all that often. We just have different perspectives of worth, just like I don't assign the worth that she does to a new t-shirt or pants, (but I do like new shoes!)

20. twichy

twichy Well-Known Member

Step 1: insure the wife
    Step 2: kill the wife
    Step 3: collect insurance
    Step 4: upgrade to younger model that knows when to shut up