Advice on Animated Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DPrime, Apr 13, 2012.

1. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I totally missed this series when it was out - I only caught it from time to time and the style initially turned me off - but now I'm catching up on this awesome cartoon!

Wondering what figures are the ones to get, in terms of getting a basic main cast together of the five main Autobots and four 'Cons, and any other standout figures.

And now that Prime is the next big thing, is it a good time to buy?

Thanks in advance,
    D

2. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like Voyager Prime and Bulkhead myself (Leader Bulkhead is cool too if you prefer bigger size). Also get Leader Ultra Magnus and deluxe Swindle. I like some other ones too but those are my faves.

3. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Most of them........are solid toys. Voyager Megatron is much hated. Personally, i dislike Blackout greatly, but i seem to be very much in the minority there.

4. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Why is that?

5. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well, in terms of the whole voyager/leader thing, I just want them to look as in scale as possible...

Aren't there a few different voyager Primes out there?

Also, what about differences between North American and Japanese releases?

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Get yourself a Blitzwing.

7. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

leader Megatron, and Ultramagnus. Blitzwing, Prowl (or the samurai ver), activator Bumble Bee is nice imo too. There are so many that I like but those are my favorites off the top of my head. The voyager seekers are all cool too.

8. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Heh, no brainer.

Already a favourite figure in the G1 years, add in a German accent, a bit of a Man-e-Faces and multiple personalities, INCLUDING one based on Arnold Schwartzennegger? Yeah, this is definitely on my short list. :) 

9. LegoTFGuy

LegoTFGuy Master Builder

For one thing, his arm cannon won't fold flush against his arm without plastic cutting.

And another, his Cybertronian form appears for a few minutes tops in the first episode.

10. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Because it looks horrible, and if you go further and compare the Voyager version to the Deluxe and the Leader...those two completely destroy it. The Deluxe 100% captures the Cybertronian look that the Voyager attempted, while the Leader version is just awesome.

Also, as far as Bulkhead goes - the Voyager is slightly more screen accurate, but size wise I would recommend the Leader version.

I'd say the only figures to absolutely avoid are:

-Voyager Megatron
    -Jetfire
    -Jetstorm
    -Roll Out Command Optimus Prime

I am only speaking in regards to Deluxe, Voyager, Leader and Supreme class figures.

If you want to take a look at all of the Animated guys, go here:

Animated Autobots - Animated - TFW2005.COM

and here:

www.tfu.info Animated Index

11. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok Well-Known Member

Well, Voyager Prime for sure. Leader Bulkhead works better scale-wise with the others, IMO, as far as the five main Autobots go. I also think he's a cooler toy than the Voyager version.

For the main Decepticons - Leader Megatron, Voyager class for the others.

[edit]

To give you an idea on scale, I have a picture here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12234178/100_1613.JPG

They're currently on ebay, actually - auction listing should populate if you click the icon under my name. I decided to sell my Animated figures a few months ago to try and stick to my original plan of "only characters from the 1986 movie". If you're interested in the lot, let me know - I'll let it go for minimum bid + shipping cost to a fellow TFWer.

12. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Jazz
    Starscream

That's all I have so that's all I can recommend

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    avoid the voyager megatron, maybe deluxe bee too, his transformation is cool, but for scale the activators version is better

14. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

This is one line that was frustrating at times, but helluva fun to collect! BB got the total shaft with huge gonzo sized feet, Blitzwing suffered from a weird tank/jet mode that was entirely too fiddly, Deluxe OP pretty much sucked no matter how you slice it, and Swindle had a crappy/floppy chest panel and a middle of the road bot mode. However, the line also had incredible stand-outs as well. Voyager OP is one of my favorite TF toys period, bot mode for Swoop is great and captures the look of the animated model quite nicely, dino modes for both Grimlock and Slag are awesome, love Blurr in vehicle mode, and the list just goes on and on. Again, such a fun line to collect and I sorely miss both the show and the line!

15. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    For the autobots, go with Voyager Optimus, Leader Bulkhead, Samurai Prowl, Deluxe Bumblebee and Deluxe Earth mode Ratchet.

There's one voyager optimus mould, but many recolours from it. It's one of the easiest to find. Deluxe cybertron mode is awesome, but does not have a show presence for that long.

I only have Leader Bulkhead, the voyager is too small to display next to the others. He's very nice, nice strong ratchets on all limbs and a fun transformation.

Ratchet is okay, best and only representation of his form. Cybertron mode is as nice, but not as prevalent in the show.

Bumblebee is a fun and very poseable deluxe, but he's a bit bigger than he should be in robot mode. His activators version is too small in car mode, the hydrodive japanese version actually scales perfectly with the rest but is harder to come by.

Samurai Prowl is more show-accurate and has the samurai add-on. He's a must.

For the decepticons, they all have a solid representation. Voyager Lugnut and Starscream are favourites of mine, Blitzwing is NOT as fun in toy form as he is in the show, and leader Megatron, whilst simple, is awesome.

Shockwave is pretty cool as well. Honourable mentions go to Ultra Magnus, Blurr, Rodimus, Sentinel Prime, Wreck Gar and Grimlock.

All of them are pretty easy and cheap to acquire, no clue why.

16. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If u want scale then get Leader Bulkhead. There's really 2 main Voyager Prime's (not including Elite Guard which is cool but expensive)...regular, and Wingblade Prime (Japanese only release). I like Wingblade. He's basically Prime with extra jetpack accessory and hammer but I believe he's a crystal deco though. Main difference between NA and Japanese is paint. Japanese has more of a metallic paint. NA paint looks more show accurate IMO. Oh yeah, forgot Blitzwing. He's a must get too.

17. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Good stuff, guys. Thanks for the advice!

Keep it coming! Seems like a lot of people miss this line - and now I can see why. :) 

yeah, I've been dying to check out TFWiki, but I've still got about 8-10 episodes to go and I don't want to ruin anything.

I guess tfu.info is pretty safe, though.

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    And buy it from me. :D 

19. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Autobots
    Wingblade Prime
    Wreckgar
    Cybertronian Ratchet
    Ironhide
    Arcee
    Rodimus
    Jazz
    Activators Bumblebee

Decepticons
    Leader Megatron
    BLitzwing
    Purple Shockwave
    Lockdown
    Soundwave
    Swindle

20. AMG

AMG Old School

Leader class Megatron, leader class Bulkhead and voyager Shockwave are my three favorite toys from the Animated line. But you really can't go wrong with pretty much any of them. Animated was an awesome toy line.